1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Net Neutrality...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Dargenus, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Dargenus

Dargenus Cupcake-About-Town

2. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

May I ask you a question? I ask first because this question will sound very offensive, while it is a genuine question. So I thought i'd ask beforehand...;)
  3. Dargenus

Sounds ominous. Ask away, I guess?
  4. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Well it's funny that if something like this happens in any other country then the US no1 will speak of it, but once it happens in the US it seems like it is important enough to post it on various forums.

What's wrong with Americans that they think the rest of the world want to know things like this???
    Do they really think someone cares?

It's not you personally...but I see it happening on so many forums....and it's always Americans, and everytime some bill/law/etc. passes it seems that it has to be publically displayed on so many forums.....
  5. Dargenus

Seems to be a problem with those countries. I've seen lots of people post articles about Ukraine, for instance (where I am from). So I can't seem to see your point. Post more about your country?

You think everyone should just shut up and not discuss anything? WildStar is an American company, like it or not. Limitations imposed on players by ISP's will have very direct and strong effect on MMORPG's at large, depending on what ends up happening, because often the biggest chunk of players is from the US. Would be funny if ISP's start charging Carbine for MMO service or ignore them completely because WoW is bigger. Yeah, that's not going to affect you at all.
    Yes, anyone with half a brain cares, and anyone who has any stake in the American industries (WS fans included) should care. And because of global economy and politics, everyone should care anyway.
    America is very large and a very large segment of the internet has lots of American users. It probably has to do with the fact that you speak English and are on English forums. I see Russian and CIS news on Russian forums, European news on German forums, US and UK news on English forums, I really don't understand what you're surprised about when you choose to spend time on an English forum devoted to a game developed by an American company...
  6. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

But again ''Yay'' for the WSC that it's not as much as on other forums. Also AWESOME that political threads are being closed by the mods anyway! Which is just something I think is best if you try to go for the english talking international forum status.
  7. Dargenus

So, I don't understand, are you just trying to derail the thread or something?

This thread is about net neutrality, which is an ISP issue that could directly affect the entire MMORPG market. It's up to the mods if they want to close it or not, not you.

I don't care about what someone else posted somewhere, go start a new thread about that, if you want.
  8. Deltre

Deltre Cupcake-About-Town

Total weaksauce.

Also, of course everyone wants to hear about America, we're the best!! USA USA USA!!!
    BLAPPiN likes this.
  9. Pyrhos

Pyrhos New Cupcake

Yes, someone cares. In fact, anyone with knowledge about how the internet works should. If this change goes through, a hell of a lot of people all over the world will feel it.

Websites and all web-based services shrinking and/or dying because people didn't pay for the right package, anyone outside of the US (like me) might not get through to certain websites, because all the routes to it are throttled or blocked, and the worst thing is, this would allow censorship on an unprecedented scale.

If I were living in the US, I would be looking up how to get on darknets (like TOR+GPG even though there is a lot of malicious stuff there) or get an over-seas VPN so I can screw this over if it comes.

This wouldn't affect just the MMO market, but internet as a whole.

I REALLY hope they don't get away with this.
  10. Ralphie2449

Ralphie2449 Cupcake

i think he meant it as why are you posting about an issue only when it happens in the us even though similar things could have happened in another country first. Does it become an important issue the moment it touches usa?

like that captain phillips movie, merchant vessels were pirated everywhere on the world since the beggining of sea trade but because it happened to a usa vessel they need to make a movie about it
  11. filanwizard

filanwizard Cupcake-About-Town

Because the US has a lot more people than many other countries and we have a lot of forum posters on english speaking forums.

Also most global news outlets cover this because it impacts the economy due to the scale of the corporations that were fighting Net Neutrality.

Trust me if you frequent tech forums you tend to hear about other countries as well, The content of the forums depends on the posters. So you know what? The blame is on the people in other countries, If they want an issue in their country known than post about it.
    Carebear Commander likes this.
  12. BLAPPiN

BLAPPiN Cupcake

'MURICA!
  13. Inukeu

Inukeu Well-Known Cupcake

I had made a nice reply explaining things past laws and similar issues the human cost/reaction could be possible solutions etc but as I hit post reply my internet died.... irony :rolleyes: