1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Neverwinter

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by Kurik, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Phakz

Phakz Cupcake-About-Town

Add me! I am on Mindflayer. Phakzz@phakzz :)
  2. Neepz

Neepz New Cupcake

I tried but it looks bad and clustered. Got to level 33 as a TR and stopped.
  3. HighlordDak425

HighlordDak425 New Cupcake

I'm on there now as well, add me! Dakroth@dakthehighlord
  4. Daynejah

Daynejah Cupcake

Blah! Is everyone on Mindflayer?! Someone should combine everyone's names in a neat and tidy list!
  5. Sabre070

Sabre070 Cupcake-About-Town

Mindflayer: Sabr@Sabre070
  6. Konoko

Konoko Cupcake-About-Town

already uninstalled it.. completely uninspiring game.
  7. Catdurid

Catdurid Cupcake

This game really feels like a generic free to play mmo.

I got to lvl 12. Tried some skirmishes, some pvp. Overall it feels pretty bad.

They really seem to be pushing the action combat this game has, yet I remember Tera's combat being better than this.
    Azzurri likes this.
  8. Dwel

Dwel Cupcake

Neverwinter's combat is peculiar. On one side, when compared to Tera, it's slow and rigid, especially due to the fact that you get rooted while attacking and using abilities. On the other hand, if I look at it as a pseudo-turn based DnD combat system, the rooting is somewhat slick in terms of "respecting" the rules. I prefer the former, though I can appreciate the later.

My main beef with the game so far is the PvP balance if anything. The single-player I find enjoyable with some of the dungeons being fun and almost immersive if not for the limited interactions.
  9. Chosenxeno

Chosenxeno Cupcake-About-Town

Healing Threat in NWO is ridiculous. I might PVP until they fix it. I can't walk without getting 10 adds on me in a Dungeon with 42% threat reduction.
  10. moneda

moneda Cupcake-About-Town

TERA actually functioned the exact same way, the only difference being that TERA had a hastening stat you could stack that would make your abilities' animations complete faster.
  11. Dwel

Dwel Cupcake

You're probably right, I haven't played Tera in a while. Maybe GW2 is be a better comparison in terms of smooth ability use while moving.
  12. Valin

Valin Cupcake

mindflyer: Listeria@antimonie
    lvl 35 Guardian Fighter
  13. Anoteros

Anoteros Cupcake

it's a cheap and nasty disposable cash grab title and they're not afraid to show it.
    Here's my list of what's wrong with this game...

1. Cryptic/PWE
    2. Threat has not changed since closed betas and most likely never will.
    3. Exploits through the roof: a)Leveling to 60 in around 90 minutes thanks to a sharing quest bug. b)AFK farming glory for easy epics and millions of Astral Diamonds with no fear of banning/retaliation. c) Resharing quests to get larger bigs.
    4. Cash shop is in your face every step of the way. Hell, even the admins love to spam whenever someone has wasted cash on keys to open those insufferable nightmare lockboxes and received a mount.
    5. Auto aim/Lock on combat. Seriously this is an 'action' mmorpg (if you can call it that) not a FPS. Good luck trying to target heal the tank or a particular party member when they're swarmed by 20000 mobs or other players.
    6. 'Action combat' yet you're pretty much grounded for 80% of all fights unless you call running around in circles 'action'.
    7. Absolutely terrible and unbalanced PVP. Stacking cc's with no diminishing returns...yeah think about that for a while.
    8. Linear leveling progression and uninspired skill/ability gain via levels which force you to spend points in useless abilities just to unlock higher tier/better abilities.
    9. Did I mention the cash shop?
    10. Restrictions in place to force players to spend cash to buy bags, bank slots, wards to create end game enchants for gear and respecs.
    11. Unintuitive chat system, auction house, mail, over all ease of access to game features due to lack of decent tutorial.
    12. Dull and uninspired boss fights. If spawning 2098958 mobs during a boss fight is meant to be innovative then I am a complete idiot. This is the case for all boss fights. Even t2 (equivalent to 'raids' but only 5 man)
    13. Devs that would rather patch in cashgrab items instead of fixing major issues/exploits/problems in their game.
    14. No dungeon and 'end game' gear is bind on pickup which essentially turns the game into p2w if your wallet is big enough and your brain smaller.

If you don't like what you've read, check this: http://www.reddit.com/r/Neverwinter/comments/1dry0g/neverwinters_f2p_model_what_you_need_to_know/ Puts the whole 'f2p' and 'p2w' thing into perspective.

GW2 does cash shop right, unfortunately Neverwinter does not.
    There are much better f2p games out there like GW2, Tera, Rift (coming soon) and of course once Wildstar launches, Neverwinter will be swept under the rug of oblivion ;)
    Avoid like the plague.
  14. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

With the form of crafting they have, I really like that it is available out of game too, for a quick checking during lunch. However, I wish it was the mission part of crafting that worked that way, and that there was some real crafting in game.
  15. Anoteros

Anoteros Cupcake

Crafting is shallow and only adds a time sink to the game just to keep you logged on if waiting for a 15 minute job to finish or has you log back in again after 4 hours to reschedule a job.
    It feels totally empty with no real input from players besides selecting the worker and asset.
  16. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

That is what I mean, as far as crafting goes it is not very good at all, but their system could fit some sort of mission minigame for crafting mats and recipies. I could see SWTORs crew mission system with a similar website supported mission maintainance.

Both games share the lack of a crafting process the player is involved with.
  17. Anoteros

Anoteros Cupcake

Totally agree :up:
  18. Freja

Freja Cupcake

I really enjoy NW. What I don't enjoy is people exploiting the game / utilizing things like a Power stacking GF to one-shot bosses in Epic Castle Never. Until that stuff is fixed, I don't really have any desire to play it. I don't play MMOs to get easy epics, I play them for the challenge.

I am still leveling my professions via browser though, which I think is totally cool.
  19. Chosenxeno

Chosenxeno Cupcake-About-Town

Got to 32 and became annoyed after I saw them release a fairly decent sized patch released, without addressing Healer threat issues.
  20. Anoteros

Anoteros Cupcake

I can't log in longer than 15 minutes before dread begins to set in.
    There's nothing compelling about it. Navigating through the 2 higher level zones is a pain in the bum and just getting around maps in general is a hassle as there's no teleport/waypoints to port to and if you want to head somewhere else you need travel all the way back to the beginning of the zone :(

I've honestly had enough of the lack of imagination and innovation in dungeons. One boss fight against a Red Dragon boss (can't remember the name) took over 15 minutes only because he had a <REDACTED> tonne of hp and spawned a million annoying ads to drag the fight out. Felt like the most forced and uninspired boss fight i've ever encounterd. Mind you all boss fights are the same (fight boss for a bit, ads spawn, fight ads, back to boss, ads spawn rinse and repeat).

Bleh.