1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Neverwinter

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by Kurik, Mar 8, 2013.

1. EpicBubble

EpicBubble Cupcake

Its not very good feels way to backwards for a mmo being made in the year 2013
    Rogosh likes this.
  2. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Wait, you say you can survive 15 whole minutes? I mean, for me just when i start the game up the dread begins to sink it :cautious:

No, i've played the first NWN games there where (and trust me alot of people don't know those games, just like i played WC 1 which not alot of WoW players even know of).
    But to me this NW was just a complete failure in every sence of the word!

I didn't expected alot since i didn't go with the hype, but i never expected such an outcome like this.....i thought they would be a bit better then this.
  3. C1d0s

C1d0s Cupcake

I made a Tiefling Control Wizard and leveled enthusiastically to the 30 mark, got a mount, bought some gear with diamonds earned from dailies, then effectively stopped playing the game because I couldn't tolerate the continuous quest grind - at least, not in a world that is so ridiculously instanced and feel fragmented from zone-to-zone. I felt like my gold was wasted when I bought my mount because I could have walked the tiny zones in just about the same time someone could ride through them.

Honestly, I think the only reason I continued playing for so long was because of the combat: the animations were impressive for a F2P game, and the actual fighting - for however long that stayed fresh - felt very entertaining, like every hit connected and had great impact.

That said, I couldn't tolerate the small, instanced world; I was disappointed with the lack of distinct-looking gear; I had no motivation to level, aside from the hack-and-slash combat that gets old without enough variation; and let's not get started on how dull the talent trees are.

I understand it's in Open Beta, but I think they should have kept it closed for a while longer. It feels like they've sill got a lot to put into the game. For what it is, a F2P cash shop game, I think it's one of the better games on the market.
  4. Anoteros

Anoteros Cupcake

Totally agree with you there. The inclusion of mounts boggles the mind. It's not like you're travelling cross continent or anything like that just pressing F on a sparkly door and selecting a new location.
    Lack of armour variety, especially as you're leveling is abysmal and the only gear that sort of stands out is only seen in epic dungeons and even then it's hardly impressive. Let's not mention you need to spend an insane amount of AD's just to transmorg gear...

Gold is absolutely useless and is only used to buy potions, injury kits and the worst kind of mounts/companions which you can't even upgrade yet but Cryptic/PWE we're kind enough to release better companions and mounts on their cash shop...

It's a tacky, cheap and uninspired release and Cryptic/PWE don't seem to care if they lived up to expectations or not. Where's the RP elements that most DnD players were looking for??

What really sealed the deal with me, besides the ridiculous cash restrictive limitations in place was doing a Tier 1 Epic dungeon run where the the dredge through the dungeon was so tedious and monotonous that I actually gave myself a migraine :confused: Here's exactly how it went and how 100% of all dungeons play out: Enter dungeon, fight trash, take a few steps following the pac man sparkle line, fight more trash, take a few more steps, fight more trash, unlock camp fire, fight more trash 3 more times, get to first boss, during fight 20 mobs spawn, healer aggros everything, more adds spawn, kill boss (can pretty much rinse and repeat this for the rest of the dungeon)

I have 4 level 60's all thanks to the stupid leveling exploit and have AFK grinded enough glory to purchase 4 different pvp sets for each of those toons. There is no challenge to get geared when these terrible exploits exist still in game, even though they've been present since closed beta.

Massive issues still exist in game which were brought up way back in closed beta and they have not even been addressed (healing aggro being the most important one) BUT Cryptic/PWE were kind enough to add more useless rubbish to the cashshop because that's how you balance and fix your game right?

Also, check this video:

pretty much sums it up perfectly.

Apologies for the ramble, just needed to vent.
  5. Freja

Freja Cupcake

Even though I haven't logged into Neverwinter for more than 5 minutes the past week, I am still compulsively leveling my Tailoring + Leadership via browser lol.
    SiegaPlays likes this.
  6. moneda

moneda Cupcake-About-Town

Uses exploits to level and get gear... complains about lack of challenge to get gear. :laugh:
    Shaigh and SiegaPlays like this.
  7. Anoteros

Anoteros Cupcake

Regardless if I did use the exploits the overall linear levelling progression through the game, the bland and down right boring dungeons and then the entire Bind on Equip thing of all loot just made leveling all the less enticing.
    Take it as you will :)
  8. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

Isn't this how Guild Wars 1 are run, just with more instance fragments?

I like the idea of the Foundry and how it is implemented, been doing a couple of series and some stand alone ones. Some really good and thought out runs and some with witty comments and no story to speak off, just an excuse to fight groups of mobs. Of the last type there is "Fight Club" and I know the thing about it is not to talk about it, but I am doing it anyway. Because it is the only one of the no story ones that I actually liked, it was straight forward and honest about what it was, rather than hide the lack of story behind witty comments and something that could have been something but lacked the ambition to go anywhere.

I bought a temp mount couple of days ago and instantly forgot all about having it, so I assume it perished already. It does not feel polite to use it in Protector's Enclave and there is not really that far to go in the districts, when doing a complete district at the time. I must admit, that I still have not found my way around their currency system, so I just tag along their guided questline.

Also the gateway mechanic is awesome to have, but beyond testing, I think something like that should maybe not be activated until the first patch after. Getting people more obsessed about that part than login into the game itself while the game is novel does not bode well, right. Unless the gateway have people sticking around long after they would otherwise have stopped - as comparison, I doubt Wildstar would need a farmville feature on the side to keep people obsessively connected right from the start.

IMHO, the gateway needs access to the guild chat to shine.

Guess next will be trying out skirmishes and pvp instances. At first look skirmishes sounds sort of like Instant Adventures in Rift, but with far less vision and versatility on how to match up and what to do, but we'll see how it goes.

I have stayed back on grouping up for dungeons because I solo well enough, but I have nada idea how Devoted Clerics heals a group, the healing part seems so tiny on the plate I have seen so far of the class, so the thought of being a dedicated healer in a dungeons kinda makes my skin crawl. Seems to me people can do as good a job bringing plenty heal pots. Maybe the subtlety of the healing fools me though, and maybe I survive this well because I am using them correct :p
    Who knows, I would, if I didn't care about doing it well!

Anyways, the ability upgrade system looked nice until I figured out that it also just follow a preordinated track, and the personal preferences only goes to which ability in a 5 lvl tier gets boosted first.

All in all, I do not think it is a bad game, but it is not amazing either, it does not stand out like the NWN single players did in their time, if not for the Foundry, which by far exceedes the dungeon maker feature in EQ2 by a mile - my only comparison besides Second Life.

It is a game to keep connected to, if one have little time to play and just need some easy to get into stress release from the job - something involving mainly following questlines or lobby activities, both to kill stuff and let go.

Btw, I am on Dragon with the guild WS-Serenity.
  9. Cheven

Cheven Cupcake

@SiegaPlays Guild Wars 1 was pretty much an "instance world" except city and towns. City and towns worked as a player-hub for groups and trading.

My opinion about the game is that I didn't like it at all. Not because of the genre, but because is was too much based on "insances" and porting around the world. Didn't feel like an open world MMO game. MMO for me is that you're able to travel freely around the world and doesn't base the game on porting you around the world.

I can accept porting for some degree, but not all the time.
  10. Psistorm

Psistorm Cupcake-About-Town

I've been playing neverwinter quite a while now, and I can write a little review about what I experienced so far (2 characters near 40)

- Combat: arguably the best point of the game. it feels rather fun, fast, and responsive. The ability grouping into at-wills, encounters and dailies is interesting, and it works. Not much to complain about here, really.
    - Classes: Five, one single dps, one kind-of heals, one tank, two AOE dps, one of which utterly sucks until you hit 50 apparently, and otherwise does little dps until then. In general, classes are late bloomers, the important/interesting abilities only show up later on. You have paths which allow your class to spec out into different things, except each class only has one path right now. This hopefully gets remedied soon.
    If you play a cleric, expect people to expect you to keep them alive, while you run around chugging healing pots from all the aggro no one is helping you with, because noone will dps adds.
    - Economy: Broken, broken, broken. It is so exploit ridden that there almost was a character wipe, but they settled on a rollback instead to fix the worst of the worst. You can literally BUY end-game purples with real money (turning money into zen, turning that into astral diamonds for the auction house). Purples are BoE rather than BoP (unless you need on them, which since a recent patch binds them), but this doesn't stop people from rolling need on every dungeon drop. Gold is near worthless, except to buy healing pots and injury kits.
    - Crafting: It is like STO/SWTOR. You get assets (aka people) which you send on little crafting missions, which take time. Higher rarity people (cash shop only) speed up those times. It literally is completely impossible to keep crafting relevant to your level unless you play your character less than maybe 1-2 times a week, and otherwise focus on crafting through the online app. My advice? forget crafting entirely, focus on the leadership profession. you will need it.
    - Leveling: An entirely linear progression chain which does not give you enough exp to reach level cap. Each zone leaves you 1-2 levels under the next zone's content, and this effect stacks, so that after completing 2 zones, you will get a warning that you are now too low level for the next zone. Thus you MUST grind foundry content, dungeons or skirmishes.
    - Skirmishes: mini-dungeons without meaningful loot or token drops, basically worthless except for minor exp and astral diamond drops when the event for that is up.
    - Dungeons: long and AOE heavy trash runs, broken up by 2-3 bosses with the ever same strategy. Tank on boss + a rogue, cleric casts heals and runs like a girl because he now has all the adds on him. the other 2 dps either ignore the adds and dps the boss in order to wipe, or help clear the adds in order to win. This apparently carries on until end-game, and all dungeons so far have been mostly like that. except my cleric didnt always have to kite.
    - Cash shop: Pay 2 win, period. You can buy ingame AD currency, thus buy end-game items. The micro-transactions are macro (talking 40 USD for a mount. lesser mounts from the in-game store will ALWAYS throw you off when you ride past enemies and aggro them), and the cash shop companions are FAR better than what you can get in game. The cat - which you CAN buy via AD at least - is ungodly OP because it is an unkillable pet that gives you 3 extra equipment slots basically.

So what is my verdict?
    Needs work. Lots and lots of work. Classes feel lackluster until later on, and while combat is fun, that alone can't carry the game. The monetization is nothing short of insulting to me, and the game feels like it was purposefully made worse in some places to encourage money spending to remedy the fail (mounts, crafting, companions). It even went as far as limiting companion levels unless you buy cash shop ones, and while having upgrade items for ingame companions, you can't actually buy those items yet.

There are probably better solutions out there. TERA does combat better and is prettier, and Rift is going f2p soon. So pick one of those two alternatives, they can only be better than this moneygrab.
  11. Haoli

Haoli Cupcake-About-Town

Not mine, but this yet another example of Neverwinter's really sad coding.

They're storing critical combat values (such as Stamina) client-side without authenticating them against the server.

Result: Yet another exploit.

Edit: For further clarification, this was recently patched without being noted within the notes.
  12. Bolt

Bolt Cupcake

Wait....Seriously. /facepalm
  13. Vivaxo

Vivaxo New Cupcake

I tried it, got to around level 49, then just decided that the cash shop just..Well, made it difficult.

Primarilly the 40 Euro charge for 4 bags..heh

So, yet another down for me. Fun game though, might improve over time.
  14. Nunya

Nunya New Cupcake

I know I am. I somehow haven't even heard about this game until I saw it mentioned in their forums. I love what I see so far.

Was just curious how many people have given up on neverwinter at this point and will be playing this?
  15. Malorak

Malorak Cupcake-About-Town

Wrong sub-board. Feel bad.

Also: Not into it, just noticed this in general.
  16. Trahma

Trahma Cupcake

*Sigh* Raises hand.

So much potential wasted, bviously just this one man's opinion. /sigh
  17. Kaelang

Kaelang Cupcake-About-Town

Chit Chat, not WildStar General ;)

But, Neverwinter died on release, Hello from Mindflayer. :)
  18. Trahma

Trahma Cupcake

Hehehe yeah wrong board. The one positive I will say about Neverwinter is that it was a lot of fun for me to see some of the D&D monsters I would frequently only imagine in pen and paper games (and see in the occasional video game) rendered fairly well in 3d.

/hello from Dragon.
  19. azmundai

azmundai Well-Known Cupcake

i played for about 3 hours in one of the betas ... does that count?
  20. Dex Charisma

Dex Charisma Cupcake

Greetings from Dragon.

I'm not sure what killed it for me. Was it the disposable feel of an all-instanced world? That 4.0 doesn't really feel like D&D? The ubiquity of the cash shop? The 40 FPS I can lose staring into an empty corner of an empty room?

In the end, I think it was the guilt. I made so much Zen/AD selling keys, I never had to shell out my own real money to buy anything. Obviously others aren't/weren't so lucky. Maybe I'm old-fashioned, spoiled by EQ/WoW or whatever, but I really don't want to play games with such an obviously unbalanced playing field.

Whatever it was, it led me here. I'm a little late to the party.
    Psistorm likes this.