1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

New computer

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by WhiskeyGuy, Feb 8, 2014.

1. WhiskeyGuy

WhiskeyGuy New Cupcake

Hi community,
    Long time reader, first time poster. I'm buying a new computer because I'd like to run WS on max graphics settings at 60FPS for higher.
    I'm currently looking at the DigitalStorm Vanquish line. Do you have any guesses/informed opinions on which model will run the game according to my goals?http://www.digitalstormonline.com/vanquish.asp
    Thanks.
  2. Paspe

Paspe New Cupcake

I suggest you to build your own computer. You safe money and you get better computer. Simple :up:

Ps. It is not hard to build a own computer.
    [​IMG]
    Eliat_kuni likes this.
  3. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

^ What he said. Unless you really want a warranty instead of dealing with your own returns, it will save you ~$100 to build it yourself (depending on company/parts, usually more).
  4. WhiskeyGuy

WhiskeyGuy New Cupcake

I appreciate the feedback. It is worth it to me to spend the extra money on a prebuilt computer with warranty, as my job doesn't allow much free time.

anyone?
  5. sguzaski

sguzaski New Cupcake

Building a comp honestly doesn't take much free time, the longest time is going to be picking out what parts you want. A comp build, if planned out right, is basically like building one of those beginner set of legos...then installing some software I guess
  6. Greatheart

Greatheart Cupcake

In my honest opinion those computers suck for those prices. I wouldn't suggest any CPU below an i5 benchmark for future gaming and you can get far cheaper GPU's that have the same specs.

When I bought my PC I checked out all the pre-made PC's online and then designed a dream spec and got prices from NewEgg etc. Found out I could match any PC, get it built at a local PC shop and save £200-£300 (GBP). So thats my advice, get a list of components, go to a local PC store (not a big retailer, usually PC repair shops are the best) and get a quote on how much they'd charge to order the parts and put it together. Once you've got a quote ask them how much it is for CASH. Very important, the store I went to accepted so rather than paying an extra 20% to the taxman, the store got 5% extra and I saved 15%.

Really you could design a basic build, refine it after getting feedback here, get a quote and order it in a weekend. Couple hours of your time and you should be set.

Step 1: Set your budget.
    Step 2: Find a local PC Repair shop, ask them if they do custom builds and if they get a discount for certain manufacturers. (Mine had a nice discount on Asus goods which saved me a bundle.)
    Step 3: Check the minimum specs on the link below for WildStar and aim for CPU etc that are benchmarked higher than that.
    Step 4: Post your proposed build here. I'm sure there are plenty of far more hardware savvy people here who can point you in the right direction when it comes to whether or not your hardware is up to scratch. (All I do is compare benchmarks.)
    Step 5: When you've got your proposed build, shop around for the best prices and mark them down. Compare against your budget to see if you can/need to upgrade/downgrade components.
    Step 6: Get the store you've chosen to give you a quote and ask them if they can suggest cheaper goods at the same performance. (Changing a manufacturer can make a huge difference to price while having the same performance.)
    Step 7: Tell the store to start when you're happy with the quote/setup.

Tips:
    * Don't bother with all the gimmicks: Water Cooling, SSD, neon lights, super fancy case etc. Focus your money on your hardware. Unless you're overclocking or live somewhere very hot you don't need extra cooling.
    * Having a big PC case can make quite a difference to the heat of your setup. I have a regular case and run at about 35 degrees while surfing the net etc, my girlfriend with the same hardware/amount of fans in a much bigger case runs at about 29 degrees. (Of course this is dependant on where you intend to keep your tower unit.) I can play most games on max graphics but the GPU temp can spike above 80 degrees sometimes which is safe but not brilliant for long periods of gaming.

Heres some links to help you:
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/ (For comparing performance/price of CPU/GPU.)
    http://wildstar.gamepedia.com/System_Requirements (WildStar minimum requirements.)
    WhiskeyGuy likes this.
  7. Livnthedream

Those warranties do not cover software, and the vast majority of the time that will be your issue. The rest of the time the 90 day you get from just buying something will cover the vast majority of hardware problems. Tech tends to either work or it doesn't. The fail after a couple month thing is pretty rare unless you have 50 cats and never blow out your comp and the like.

As a beginner the biggest issue is going to be putting together a decent box in the first place. Picking the right parts to go together, with a decent case, and not forgetting the important stuff, like making sure you have enough fans, decent proc grease, etc. Though to be completely honest, if you are spending a chunk of change on the hardware to begin with you should have a basic idea of what you are buying and why. Buying stuff just because someone else told you to is a great way for them to just take your money. As someone who was a phone sales rep for Dell for 9 months, I got trained real well how to take your money for stupid stuff, like printer cables :)
  8. Bobdolewins

Bobdolewins New Cupcake

WhiskeyGuy likes this.
  9. Livnthedream

The only things I disagree with is the idea of the local repair shop (around here that is nowhere close to the case) and the idea that an ssd is a gimmick. While I agree that it varies from game to game in terms of additional performance, for any game that tags your hard drive early and often its money well spent. Especially for games with tons of loading screens.

I would also toss this out for the op:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/

Its great for swapping out parts and the price comparison is pretty nice. I ended up buying parts through 3 different vendors when I put my box together.
  10. Greatheart

Greatheart Cupcake

Nice site, I'll have to remember that one.

I have an SSD in my PC and past loading screens and boot up time there is zero difference. Its certainly alot quieter and loading screens are never longer than 10 seconds but really I could have invested that extra money into a slightly better hardware.
  11. Drokk

Drokk Cupcake-About-Town

Ten years ago I would have said certainly build your own, but things have changed and you really don't save that much anymore. Unless you're buying from AlienWare or some other ridiculously overpriced nonsense. I've heard good things about sites like http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/.

Still, I'll probably build my next pc. It's fun, it's a -little- cheaper. And each hardware piece has its own warranty anyway.
  12. Livnthedream

I agree that its one of the last things you buy, but there are some games that pull often from the hdd without a loading screen. This can (often does) cause micro stutters and the like and can be bothersome. Honestly, for me, just the decrease in load screens makes it a worthwhile purchase. This is really up to the person though.
  13. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

OP:
    As i'm an enthusiast i build my own pc(s) which provide a wide variety of choice and customization. I also build because it saves me money personally and of course its fun for me to actually build the machine.
    (my computer is actually never in a finished state, i swap parts nearly every week just for something different)

However, if your someone that just wants to get a good computer and get down to business, Research what you need in terms of specs, Find a good price on that prebuilt computer, and let some dude put it together for you. hell, even get them to deliver it to you!

If they <REDACTED> up in construction, its on them. + what ever warranties they provide.

No point getting a whole lot of parts yourself and <REDACTED>ing up if your not confident or have an unfortunate mistake. And considering your going to build it once then shut the lit on it forever, it sounds like the smarter option?
  14. Spectrefiend

Spectrefiend New Cupcake

To answer your question: I would have to suggest at least the level 3, preferably level 4 (A 760 with 8gb of RAM in an i5 really should be fine). You may still find some settings would need to be lowered, ie; Shadows, View Distance - it is an MMO after all... Aside from that I see no reason to not be able to run in full screen, max resolution and high settings.

As previously mentioned by everyone else here though, building a custom PC is usually the better option.
    I would suggest you find a good PC place and have them build it for you, again as mentioned earlier, with an in-house guarantee/warranty, potential discounts, etc.

I had done this a few years back and could not have been happier, it took them approx. 1 week from me going in with my list to me going and picking it up. There were 2 components during the build that were no good but I only knew about this when I went to pick my beast up. They swapped them out during the build, finalized, tested and boxed it for me. No RMA's. No dodgy customer service. No hassles at all on my end.

Going back to your linked PC, you now have an idea of what you should be looking for.

Figure your budget and do your research (both places and parts), many a good option out there and plenty of people to help.

Good luck!

-Spec
    Mellkor and WhiskeyGuy like this.
  15. sarayne

sarayne New Cupcake

If you don't want to build you could buy all your parts from ncix and have them assemble it for you for only 50 bucks. Thats if you live in USA or Canada.