1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

New developer on the horizon?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Aldagar, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Zyd

Zyd Cupcake

^ This

I don't like GC either, he made some small implementations that ruined not only the game but the community as well, but it's not entirely his fault, Blizzard as a company decided to turn the game into Casualville, GC is just an employee doing his job so i wouldn't blame him.

Maybe working on a different environment he can make good contributions to a company like Carbine, you never know.
    Aldagar likes this.
  2. Scarzi

Scarzi Cupcake-About-Town

he was the one that changed how resilience worked in WOTLK. It went from reduces all damage to reduces player damage, in turn reduced PvPers from tanking dungeons, hell druids even used it in raids after defense was capped. Also, the damage reduction % was blown way out of proportion, making PvE gear completely useless, unless you rolled with a full heroic gear group in a BG.
    Livnthedream likes this.
  3. MacHaggis

MacHaggis Cupcake

Did you know Blizzard has forums designated for people that like to whine and moan about WoW? Take the complaining there already.
    teh_ninjaneer likes this.
  4. Lori

Lori New Cupcake

Love Ghostcrawler :inlove: super smart, funny, lovely guy who doesn't deserve the flak he gets from a section of morons on t'internet.
    Sarigar likes this.
  5. Bazeleel

Bazeleel Cupcake-About-Town

So because I think he did a poor job I can have my opinion? I meet him at Blizzcon a few times. Even talked balance with him. He's a great guy! He just doesn't have a good understanding of the game he was out in charge of balancing.

I am sorry everyone is getting upset, again, at others and having opinions. I thought he did a poor job and that's my opinion. Most people would agree with me that played TBC.
  6. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

<Mod Face> Gonna go ahead and drop this in the off-topic, for now. </Mod Face>
  7. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

You will never have that kind of change because it ruins it for the other players. It is effectively pve griefing. There is a reason why even "open world" housing systems have disappeared after all. Phasing tech has come a long way to alleviate that "I do not have an impact" feeling, even if it is just for you and not everyone else. Why do you seek that kind of recognition in the first place?

The whole "roam the world" complaint is actually pretty foolish, as is Cyrodil. Do not scoff at that until you have actually played it. You actually can wander essentially as you please (within reason) but you will run into high level mobs and die. Closed boarders make sense thematically, and in game terms. Cyrodil I did not get a chance to try because the zone simply would not load for me.

No, bigger issues are things like first person being terrible. The animations and lack of needed perspective render it pretty unplayable. You do not get xp from kills, only from doing quests, and you easily run out of quests unless you go to the obvious "you need to visit me" places that are marked on the map. Its not the explorer is rewarded that they claimed. Combat is extremely dull and lacks needed feedback, like how stats function, how status effects work etc. Their super secret tech ai is really anything but, atleast up through level 14 and the first dungeon. You notice the npc's yelling things like "flank him" more than you notice them actually doing anything. And bugs, omg the number and widespread nature of the bugs. The first destruction staff ability gives you a knockback and knockdown if its a fire staff. Enemy's can move while they are playing their get up animation, which makes them skate around and make it no more than just an interrupt. Said knockback also bugs out a number of npcs, with them just standing around after you use it on them, and based on chat it was happening from all knockbacks, not just that one. It also bugs out a number of quest spawns, making those quests unable to be completed until its instance is reset. Other quests were having display issues, ie dudes were spawning but you could not see them, sometimes /resetui would fix it, but usually you would need to reload until you got into a different shard to try again. Even the ui had issues, like if you had a skill point to use and chose to morph an ability first it would "spend" your skillpoint and return it to you with a reload.
  8. Hob

Hob Cupcake

You'd be wrong.
  9. Lori

Lori New Cupcake

@Ghostcrawler
    23m
    "Game designers must adopt the values of their studio to some extent. Somewhere else I would design differently."
  10. TachiPlays

TachiPlays New Cupcake

I don't think people understand what GC did, as his current tweet said.

I'm not surprised the internet doesn't actually understand what my job was. I am surprised it is so certain in its bad assumptions. :)

I think folks will be surprised at how little WoW changes without me around. It was always a group effort.

Most of what I did was features and UI. Class design was a small part, but the part players want to talk about.

This times 100% people just want to blame GC for everything they think is wrong with wow... I dont understand it myself... how many game devs do they have... and you people act like he is doing every single change to the game by himself.

11. MacHaggis

MacHaggis Cupcake

Yet you know all of "what's wrong wit WoW today", shows how hypocrite some people are ;)
    teh_ninjaneer likes this.
  12. Localbro

Localbro New Cupcake

^This. People will always need a scapegoat.
  13. Oconnell

Oconnell Cupcake

I do not seek that kind of recognition...in MMOs. I was merely stating from the beginning that people are foolish wanting their single player experiences conveerted to the multiplayer branch with the same kind of single player depth. MMOs are a different beast, and the ones that tried to make the single player very good ended having not much about the MMO part.

I hope you're right with the not roaming free part. It makes sense, I know, but still it seems like a poor choice to limit your players. I don't see why I couldn't organize a raid of players and get into their zone but whatever.

They shouldn't have included first-person to begin with. They never intended to do it, and then all of a sudden because people begged for it, started this massive change that requires so much effort and time and it won't ever stop looking floaty, and if the game has any difficulty at all, most people will stop using it anyway. The amount of awareness you lose in first-person is just a handicap unless all players are forced to use that perspective.

The rest was nice to read, I have only watched it play, so I can't really say if you're right or wrong, but I take your word. If all of that you mention is the way you say they better start taking feedback and focusing on the most important aspects of gameplay.
  14. Hob

Hob Cupcake

Or maybe one can jump into the game to check it out without playing for years, smart guy.
  15. Giruvegan

Giruvegan New Cupcake

I came in here to learn about a new developer for w*
    and all i got was a flame war T_T
  16. Tribe

Tribe Well-Known Cupcake

Welcome to WildStar Central. Here is a link to the Personal Introductions Forum. You are not required to post there but doing so is a good way to meet some of our friendliest members. Tell Kat I said hi.

Yes, but that does not mean the whipping of scapegoats lacks purpose or promise.

Communities are defined not only by whom they accept, but also by those they revile.
    Livnthedream likes this.
  17. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

If that's the case "He has doomed us all"
  18. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

I couldn't believe what i just read so i wiki'd Carmack....sure enough the man has left iD..
  19. iam thewin

iam thewin New Cupcake

I heard Ghostcrawler went to a next gen Star Wars game that's going into dev.