1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

*No PVP gear in Wildstar* petition thread

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Another_Alex, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Another_Alex

Another_Alex Cupcake

PVP gear has ruined many aspects of WoW and will do the same to this game if it is introduced.

So voice your opinion in this thread, and sign this thread if you:

- do not want PVP gear in Wildstar
    - do not want PVP gear to be usable outside of organized PVP arena's ( basically, towns )

/signed

2. FlamingRuby

FlamingRuby Cupcake-About-Town

I sign for the second.So i will not see people with PvP gear joining my dungeons.
    But for the first i really dont know.This will cause more problems than having separate gear.Like DPS classes pop-ing all CD's and one shoting targets.
    I assume you dont want players to have stats like resilliance on them,and bring back vanilla wow gear.

As long as i am not as a PvEer to do PvP or vice versa i will be totally fine

3. Anstalt

Anstalt Cupcake-About-Town

I think it might help your petition if you actually explained yourself a bit more and if your two points weren't contradictory.

For example, I too believe that pvp gear has hurt the pvp community in a number of games (my last was sw:tor where pvp gear really hurt pvp). I believe that pvp gear can hurt the pvp community by creating massive gear gaps and artificial barriers to enjoyment which reduces the amount of people who participate in pvp. Whilst a casual player may not be a concern to a hardcore pvper, all hardcore pvpers were, at some point, casual and so we need to support casuals in order to ensure a healthy pvp community in the long term.

Having said that, I am a fan of pvp gear if it is implemented correctly. It is nice to get rewarded for dedication to pvp and gear is a nice reward to get, so I do want gear to be obtainable from pvp. However, I don't want that gear to have a unique stat like expertise, nor do I want pve gear to have unique stats like expertise. I want both sets of gear to be interchangable so that there are no artificial barriers to entry. I do want both sets to be optimised for their given activity so that if you wanted to have the best gear for pvp, you would need the pvp set.

Baeldan and Witless like this.
  4. Hob

Hob Cupcake

PVP gear has to exist because the alternative is worse (aka the whinging over raiders beating pvpers). Carbine simply has to implement it in a way that makes it fair to those just joining into PVP, but also giving some reward to those who commit to doing a lot of PVP.

Crimzen, F8L Fool, Teehk and 5 others like this.
  5. Isgu

Isgu Cupcake-About-Town

This.

My opinion is that pvp gear has to exist. If you're doing a certain part of the game you should get geared towards that end, beating the last uber-boss in the newest 40 man should not give you the same gear you can get through doing pvp. Same with pvp, if you beat your arch nemesis in a warplot you shouldn't get rewarded with something designed to help you kill raid bosses.
    What they are trying to do with pvp and pve gear and how useful they want it to be in the other areas of the game is explained nicely in one of the recent dev posts so I wont repeat it here, but if they manage to do what they planned I think there will be no issues with the gear. It's all about getting the numbers right (sounds a ton easier than it is) and then we're golden. :)

The topic with the dev post about pvp/pve gear http://wildstar-central.com/index.p...d-gear-be-pvp-v-s-pve.4756/page-4#post-114176

Sonntam likes this.
  6. NILVIO

NILVIO Cupcake

*No PVE gear in Wildstar* Lets start another petition on this topic

/signed over 9000 times

HoseMan, Xemma, Xpress and 1 other person like this.
  7. Outlaw

Outlaw Cupcake-About-Town

If there's no PvP gear then I would prefer there be no gear at all! Who's with me?

Voison, Leiloni, Teehk and 4 others like this.
  8. Isil

Isil Cupcake

Wildstar! The first game to center around Greek-Roman Wrestling, all you get is a loin cloth!

Upgrades include Pink loin cloth and SPARKLES!

Kataryna likes this.
  9. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

So again people are compairing 1 game + it's dev's to another game + it's dev's.

Why do people always think ''if it fails there, it will fail everywhere''?!?!?

Also PvP gear was confirmed, so it's kinda TOO late to even ''try'' to stop it. Instead of just making petitions to ban it (what's not going to happen since it's already in-game) you could better spend your time in thinking of ways of how PvP gear COULD properly be implemented into a game without ruining other content.

(Although i personally think Carbine is doing a good job seeing what CBR_Gortok said about it)

Those idea's can be picked up by other people aswell, ''useless efforts'' like this wont get you anywhere.

Crimzen and Kataryna like this.
  10. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

There shouldn't be a separation of gear between PvE and PvP (not including modifiers and enhancements), period. But, it is apparently the easiest or most efficient way to do it. What Carbine is proposing is at least a nice compromise.

As to the petition let's add a couple.

-No PvE gear allowed to be worn outside of dungeons/raids.
    -No PvE gear, unless it is all about crafting! :p

Sol and Xpress like this.
  11. Corruptdevil

Corruptdevil Cupcake

This thread turned into a joke pretty fast lol.

12. Grim Fandango

Grim Fandango Well-Known Cupcake

Sure, I agree and I hate the whole concept of PVP gear.

Why are your stats required to be so different when killing, say, a Cassian Spellslinger when he's a random NPC versus a Cassian Spellslinger who just happens to be controlled by a player rather than a computer? What, my [insert stat of choice here] suddenly becomes less effective for no reason whatsoever, but [insert PVP stat of choice here] actually comes into play (where it didn't at all versus the NPC)?

But you can't really talk believability when discussing things with the developer mindset when PVP is involved. Cross faction communication and PVP gear are "necessary stupidity" to coin a phrase.

Personally, I'd be ecstatic to have an MMO that didn't have PVP at all, or at least limited it solely to battleground-type instances where they can invoke all the silly rules they want. All factions do in my experience is limit options for friends, which is counter to the whole point of an MMO.

Neurotic Cucpake likes this.
  13. Amayasu

Amayasu Cupcake

This thread would be better if the OP actually added context; why is, in your opinion, PvP gear "bad"? And if it is bad, why? Is it a PvP-only stat that you're concerned about, like resilience?

If so, then surely the thread becomes "are you in favour of PvP only stats?" or, to be more generalised, "Do you think it's OK to split stats by play style, i.e. Resilience for PvP, or +/- threat for raiding, etc etc".

Sonntam likes this.
  14. FoolishLobster

FoolishLobster Cupcake

Awww you're cute.

15. azmundai

azmundai Well-Known Cupcake

I tend to agree, though I think just removing pvp gear is not a real answer. there apparently needs to be advancement in pvp (see GW2) ... I am very much in favor of not having pvp stats though. apparently it is impossible to balance the acquisition of gear in pve and pvp?

16. wasabi

wasabi Cupcake

Okay okay... Lets be real here, if we take a look at WoW; pvp gear and raid gear is separated by one thing: RESILIENCE.
    I will not sign this, because I believe in PvP gear being implemented.
    However if you petition for Wildstar to not use resil, I would totally sign that <REDACTED>.

17. Kleev

Kleev Cupcake-About-Town

You should probably explain how PvP gear (or, more specifically, PvP stats for gear) ruined WoW in a lot of ways. The PvP community begged for it for a very long time, and was widely considered an improvement when it got implemented. Certain PvE items being used in PvP was a much bigger problem for the years I was playing.

Hob pretty much nailed it with his response as to why it's necessary.

Sonntam likes this.
  18. ImpactHound

ImpactHound Cupcake-About-Town

GW2 treats PVP like a public test server, you warp to a part of the world where your PVE gear is shelved and you get any weapons, armor, sigils, mods, etc. You want, and they're all balanced to each other. And NONE of my friends who are "supposedly pvpers" *does that quotations hand gesture* who played ever touched the PVP other than an occasional WvW match.

In my experience people WANT the unbalance and the grind. Human nature I guess.

19. Gronky

Gronky Cupcake-About-Town

We had a huge thread about pvp/pve gear (probably more than one). I didn't like PvP gear to be available for World PvP as well. But it should not matter that much. Best PvP gear will be only one tier better than best PvE gear (when it comes to PvP fights). Your fighting & dodging skill will be much more important.
    Even if you and PvP guy have the same PvE gear but his intent is to hunt players (open world PvP) while your intent is to do PvEing, he will probably have an edge. This is why:
    - his active spells and gear "enchants" will be PvP oriented while yours PvE (he won't put aoe healing on his active spells bar or any healing for that matter ;) )
    - he will have an element of surprise and if he is clever he won't attack you again if you are of any threat to him. He will either switch targets or wait until you drop your guard.
    - he is in a mood to kill and do grieving. Your mood will drop after being killed first or a second time before you actually take him seriously and this will give him an advantage as well.
    - if he has a friend with him and their skills/spells complement each other, then good luck finding help fast, help of someone who would complement your skills as well as those two killers complement their skills (and they probably honed their team tactics for a while, too)
    - he probably got bored of arena but his immediate skill level (when he attacks you) will be a world apart from your skill and it will take you a few deaths before you switch to PvP mood and mind set (till then he will most likely loose his interest and leave)

Any "killer" who is not in the above category is probably wearing PvE set and doing quests/raids like you do and you will have a fair fight with him (as he is not a real killer but PvEer). So, lack of PvP gear in the open World PvP won't make you die any slower. Well, unless the "killer" is a rubbish player. But then you will kick his ass no matter what type of gear he wears.

20. Gazimoff

Gazimoff Cupcake-About-Town

Sorry, but no.

Raiding and high-end PvP both need to reward players that perform well. But it's important to make sure that those rewards are tailored to the content they come from. Here's why:

• If you want to raid, you should be able to gear up from raiding. You shouldn't need to PvP just to get good quality raiding gear.
    • If you want to PvP, you should be able to get the best gear you can from PvP. You shouldn't need to burn through raids just to become good at something you enjoy.
    • While it's fun as a raider to dive into battlegrounds and roflstomp newbies, it's not so fun to take that into competitive arena PvP. Your elo rating should depend on your PvP skill, not how many raid bosses you've downed.
    Most importantly though, it doesn't need to affect you. If you don't want to PvP, don't roll on a PvP server. If you don't want PvP gear, don't enter in battlegrounds or arenas. But if you want to be able to be good at everything, while only putting effort in one of the two systems, I respectfully disagree.

HoseMan, dizko, Sonntam and 2 others like this.