1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Number of abilities...

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Tom Collins, May 25, 2013.

1. Tom Collins

Tom Collins New Cupcake

Hey everyone,

I have been keeping tabs on this game and really like the look of it, one thing that does turn me off in MMOs though, is having only a few skills to use (GW2 for example)

Does anyone know of any videos or reliable sources about how many skills each class will have? Will there be only a few to use at any one time?

Any info is appreciated.

Cheers
  2. Exquise

Exquise New Cupcake

Currently there is no released info on specific skills, names and effects, we can only assume from video's coming from PAX etc.

There's a 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 0, -, = slots on the skill bar and chances are there are options to add additional slots.

Just keep looking and eventually info will be released on that, or you'll get lucky and join a beta and see for yourself :)
  3. Tom Collins

Tom Collins New Cupcake

Okies. Thanks for the reply.
    I did notice that in a video, but wasn't sure. I'm hoping there is a lot to choose from. I think I just find the way WoW worked with abilities to be preferable.
    Fingers crossed.
  4. starspun

starspun Well-Known Cupcake

We do know that WildStar will feature a Limited Action Set, where the final number on the active abilities you can have is uncertain. Videos have been seen where they've shown... I think 9 slots, but this is subject to change. If I was going to use another game as a comparison, I would choose the original GW over GW2, as the latter one would make many think abilities are tied to the weapon you are using.

The actual number of abilities each class can choose to make their build out of is unknown. Developers have tossed around 30 in interviews, but that is just as an example - there could be more, and there could be less.
    Sonntam likes this.
  5. Tom Collins

Tom Collins New Cupcake

Awww meh :(

I guess I can only hope it doesn't stagnate the gameplay as it did for me with GW.
  6. Maxtross

Maxtross Cupcake-About-Town

It's 7 i think in the closed beta right now, with one of it is the path skill ability.
  7. Tom Collins

Tom Collins New Cupcake

7? Ugh! :(
  8. Maxtross

Maxtross Cupcake-About-Town

It might be, don't take my word as gospel :D
    They might change it depending on the feedback from the beta testers, so you don't have to worry much about it. :)
  9. Tom Collins

Tom Collins New Cupcake

*worries* ;)
  10. WildStone

WildStone Cupcake

The skill bar currently has 10 slots (1 innate, 7 class skills and 1 path) 1 unknown. You'll be able to switch between different skill bars while out of combat except for arena matches, AFAWK. We have 1 sprint, 1 dodge ability and a double jump besides normal jump. The devs are still debating on the final number of slots and abilities.

It used to be 9 class abilities, no innate and a 12 slot skill bar but most players in beta were having a hard time keeping up with double jump, sprint and dodge while still using all of their abilities effectively. I got this from an interview.

The good news is that a lot of testers are asking for more slots and the devs are open to anything according to beta feedback. Everything is still subject to change.:D
    Mesmir, TheSparrow87 and Sonntam like this.
  11. Tom Collins

Tom Collins New Cupcake

Sounds promising. No my hopes are rising, I will now eat icecream.
  12. starspun

starspun Well-Known Cupcake

<mod glasses>

Please avoid beta leaks and any discussion of them here at WildStar Central. While 7 or 9 is not technically a leak (they have been tossed around in some interviews), saying that is the current number in beta is. Thank you!

</mod glasses>
    Kataryna likes this.
  13. Tom Collins

Tom Collins New Cupcake

*takes glasses* Oooooo I am drunk with power! KNEEEEEEEEEEL!! ;)
  14. Sudzino

Sudzino New Cupcake

In an interview I saw, Dev mentioned that each class will have 30-36 skills through whole talent-perk-whatewer system they finally decide to come up with. And we´ve seen 10bar UI so far. My guess is that some skills will be static, some path-choosen and the rest will be the build skills. However I saw an another vid (maybe it was way in 2012 or so but still) where dev had an extra action bar above the regular one. He only had some dev commands/macros there so maybe it was there just to make devs present the game better.
  15. Nezk

Nezk Cupcake

There's no way they limit number of abilities you can use at once.

I've seen action bars with 16 slots so I am not sure why people think the default 9 is max.
  16. UNDERZZZZZ

UNDERZZZZZ Cupcake-About-Town

Because a number of interviews have confirmed so. 1 innate, 1 path and the rest actually abilities is what I've got some interviews over the past 2 weeks (1 with gaffney, the other with the combat devs on nexus weekly). I'm guessing innate is an ability that the class will always choose (stealth for stalker)
  17. faceman

faceman New Cupcake

They can't do alot of abillites when a shift is run and ctrl is roll. No chance for combination of shift+... or ctrl+...
  18. Nezk

Nezk Cupcake

Could you link I am very interested in hearing they will limit people to 10 abilities at one time.
  19. UNDERZZZZZ

UNDERZZZZZ Cupcake-About-Town

I cba finding the links to the exact interviews because it would take too much time. The who idea of limiting to 10 abilities at a time is called "limited action set". Google it and you'll find some results, this being one of them

http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=31747&storypage=3
    Coke likes this.
  20. Nezk

Nezk Cupcake

Another factor to make this harder is the limited action bars, although this may change as WildStarevolves. Even if I could buy all of the available abilities, I couldn’t use them at the same time because there weren’t enough slots on my action bar. The general idea is that you’d have the abilities you’d need for your normal use action bar, plus stuff to swap in for specific needs (e.g. AoE trash, heavy raid damage, need lots of survival cooldowns, etc.).

Iam not sure how you discern 10 abilities max at a time from that statement.

If anything it sounds like the 2 specs each class gets will be very different.

This is all subject to change in beta anyway thanks for link.