1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Number of abilities...

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Tom Collins, May 25, 2013.

1. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

First of all... Sentences, PLEASE!

Second, increasing the number of abilities used decreases variability of options as to how to play the class. If you have access to all of your abilities at once the correct way to play the class, is all of them, always. GW1 did the limited action set very well, if you never played GW1... I recommend doing some research on the system at the very least. From what I've heard GW2 is nothing like GW1's LAS, and it not a very good implementation.

Third, check out this interview. Someone else who hated the GW2 implementation, and loved the Wildstar one. Apparently with all the dodging and movement involved, the LAS feels good, so with 30 abilities you'd have to own custom peripherals ("pay to win") in order to function in the game. From what it looks like in the Rezzed game play is that combat is dynamic enough that adding a <REDACTED> load of abilities will just make it feel over-complicated, and stop being fun. More abilities are only needed when you're bored due to not having to move or pay attention to your screen or environment.
    http://www.push-start.co.uk/all/platform/pc/rezzed-2013-wildstar-hands-on-2/
  2. plic70

plic70 Cupcake-About-Town

Giving access to all of a classes abilities would shoot the whole gameplay for Wildstar in the foot. Carbine has said that they don't want min/max builds, that they want you to choose your stats, gear, path, and abilities to fit the way you play. It helps customize and personalize you Stalker from my Stalker.

Speaking of Stalkers, think of it this way. In WoW and SWTOR, both of their stealth classes, rogues/kittys and Ops/Assassins, had access to all of their abilities, could macro everything, and just wipe the floor with people. With only having 8 abilities slots, as of now, you ahve to narrow down the spells you are going to use. You have to plan ahead with your team, be strategic, and most of all play smart. So you could build a Stalker to be a straight ninja, and load up your 8 slots with stealth/stun/nuke abilities, but you would be squishier than all get out. Thus meaning, you could 1v1 someone like a boss, but if they live past your opener, have a buddy, or see you and break your stealth, you are hosed.

The LAS is a wonderful iteration to help curb the mad amount of macro'ers who think they need to use every spell and to help build your character your way. I will say this though, I think they should implement an Item bar, maybe only like 3 slots, but you oculd put "potions" or "on use" stuff there, but if it doesn't happen it wouldn't kill me.
    Gargantua and BlindSear like this.
  3. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

I don't think anyone knows "for sure" how stealth abilities work. Since there's "active stealth" in combat, I think it'll act as a "backstab" bonus type mechanic, where if you're in stealth it adds extra damage and may modify some of the abilities, but I don't think there will be entirely different abilities for stealth only.
  4. plic70

That may be true sir. I was merely giving an example that would work for the arguement.
  5. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

I hope they don't have a "insta-death" build for stalkers. This would be highly detrimental to the meta-game of PVP builds and overall balance, in that you have a stalker build and an anti-stalker build, then another build to defeat the anti-stalker build, which could just be then killed by the stalker build. But, yah I get what you're saying, rogues are notoriously bursty at the beginning, then have a relatively high sustained dps. I think stalker will have more control of it's "burst" so you aren't just totally screwed if you don't kill them on the first 2 hits.
    Iamaom and plic70 like this.
  6. plic70

Again true, but there will conceivably be say an "opener", a sustained/suirvivable, a control build, and a tank build. Plus many more, but that's the awesome thing about the way Carbine is handling leveling, gear and the LAS, it provides tons of variations that allow for a solo pvper to be able to play the way they want and for a team to truly Captain Planet it up and combine forces and have excellent counter balances to their teamates. So excited for it
  7. wos

wos New Cupcake

yah ive never played GW1 and all abilys would be a bit to much im just a fan of the warhammer, wow, rift, aion, aoc, SWTOR, hot bar stetups. i just get a bit worryed with mmos that play like a hack &slash rpg like TERA, neverwinter, gw2, but the amount of spells in my hot bar didnt bother me as my play stile is using the mouse to clike the hot bar and i dont beleave in macros they take the fun out of playing <REDACTED> if i wanted my pc to play my game for me i would woch a move. for give my spelling and comprehension cos its bad but i wont know how it al works untill i get to play and test it out and it could all be changed later on just have to wate and see
  8. Nesphito

Nesphito Cupcake

I personally like the limited amount of abilities. I play a lot of Guild Wars 2 and the limited actions just feel right, but then again the game was designed around it. I am looking forward to trying Wildstar's system though, it feels like a build your class type thing.

The only thing that makes me worried is that your abilities are always the same in combat. For example in Guild Wars 2 your abilities are based on what weapon you have equipped but you can switch your weapon in combat depending on the situation. But in Wildstar you are just stuck with the abilities you chose (I could be wrong). I am sure it will work fine, I just don't want it to feel like I have a small amount of abilities. In GW2 I have 15 abilities if you count the weapon swap (You can have more abilities if you are an Elementalist/Engineer), but in Wildstar I believe it is 9 or 10 abilities.

I could just be over thinking, I mean I haven't even played the game yet (but I really want to!). Also sorry for comparing Wildstar and GW2 so much, Guild Wars is just the only mmo I play right now lol.
  9. Bravadorado

Bravadorado Cupcake-About-Town

In Wildstar you get 8 skills (Currently) from your CLASS on your bar. There are no weapons skills, however there is a great trade-off. GW2 had 22 skills total (Barring racials) for your 6-10 slots. You also got a weapon that varied your 1-5 slots but a majority of the weapon skills were useless in combat (Warrior GS has 2 buttons you will be using in most scenarios). So now in Wildstar I believe we have 8 skills, all of which can be changed for any of 50+ skills. You then have a path skill (We know that there are probably 3 per path SO FAR (Up to level 30) so that is 12 total) which you can switch out, your innate class skill which I don't think you can change, a few skills we haven't heard anything about, and also milestones.

So basically, you wont be able to change your weapon or anything in combat, but you have 10-11 skills that you can change out of combat at any time from any of over 60 options. This ensures diversified builds and removes the additional balancing headache of multiple diverse weapons (Something GW2 has not fixed in almost a year now or more if you count beta time).
    Nesphito and Gargantua like this.
  10. Fightdude

Fightdude New Cupcake

I'm with ArdentSun on this one. From the moment I read about the limited action bar, it felt like it will end up being what Glyphs were supposed to be in WoW. You get to pick your loadout based on the situation, ensuring that different playstyles can be achieved within the same class. Some choices will be better, but I really hope a variety of build become viable, but all will require the player to want to play that way.
  11. Vaq

Vaq New Cupcake

I think the LAS is kinda cool, it gives this "Diablo 3" feel with the abilities which I liked (Didn't remove the cookie cutter builds but it had various builds and playstyles that were viable)

I hope tho that they don't make it too easy to change abilities, make it a cooldown on a minute and maybe have a similar systemet as WoW's talent system, that you make like 5 sets of different spell combinations and add a casttime for like 5s to change through them. So you're different "layouts" of spells becomes kinda like different talents/specs.
  12. Nesphito

Nesphito Cupcake

That's good to know, I didn't know some of that.