1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Open Beta and Release Date

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Afropenguinn, Jan 2, 2014.

1. filanwizard

filanwizard Cupcake-About-Town

it is very doubtful they have discs already made. I am guessing they will announce it going gold when they do that. When software goes gold it is not like the RIAA and gold records, It means they have sent the final master out to copying.

Term is still used today even though the final master is likely not a gold CD/DVD and is just an ISO uploaded to the disc printing facility.
  2. deathtotherepublic

deathtotherepublic Cupcake

I stopped in at a local gamestop for giggles and asked since they had a sign for WS. They have a release date of July 2nd...
  3. filanwizard

filanwizard Cupcake-About-Town

Gamestop tends to asspull release dates likely based on metrics of other games but also because their preorder system requires a release date so I am guessing the person doing DB entry and puts something in that is really far off.
  4. jetah

jetah Cupcake

I remember this happening with Amazon.

This I posted to my guild and on reddit.
    Gardavil likes this.
  5. ImpactHound

ImpactHound Cupcake-About-Town

This is looking more and more accurate with some of the things I see online ;)
  6. Sealdorie

Sealdorie New Cupcake

Knowing from experience, Gamestop generally places a title at Dec 31st if they have no idea of any release date but still want the preorders. That's not to say their date is correct, because it's often not...but I wouldn't rule it out totally.

That being said, I'd much rather see an April-May launch (but wouldn't we all). :D
  7. Fishsticks

Fishsticks Cupcake-About-Town

It's now Feb. 11th and there's still no release date/much of the content has yet to be discussed or revealed. I would be shocked if the game released this "spring".

Going by past/recent experiences, TESO and FFXIV, as well as RoS, all announced their release dates well before what would be the equivalent time for Wildstar. That is to say, if we are going by the release schedule of recent comparable titles, in order for Wildstar to be released before June the date would probably have been announced already. Maybe gamestop is on to something with June 2nd :)
  8. Luffy

Luffy New Cupcake

Someone in a different thread said that they could be hiding the release date up until the last possible second so that they do not get a response from Blizzard or TESO
  9. Alex F

Alex F Cupcake

If they are indeed hiding the release date from Blizzard (as if Blizzard does not have the info already) then they have an issue with confidence in their product. I honestly don't believe that is true, but then again I don't know what the hell is going on. So who knows...

As for TESO, I wouldn't worry too much about that game, having played it myself. I suspect it's gonna be one of those games that's gonna be kept (barely) alive by relentless fanboys.

As for a release in April, sorry that just seems like a wet dream to me.
  10. Luffy

Luffy New Cupcake

Well, considering the size difference between the companies I believe it's not exactly an issue with confidence in their product. Perhaps they want to avoid needless competition that will only hinder them, even if only for a short period of time. All I know is I'm hoping release dates will go my way because I really, really want to play this game without hindrance.

I have the same opinion for TESO. I tried the beta and gave up in like an hour. I don't believe this game will last very long.
  11. Alex F

Alex F Cupcake

The competition is inevitable, if they want a brief, non-competitive window, it just makes me think that there is indeed a confidence issue. And honestly they will have the launch period where people will buy the game, but the competition is always there given the similarity between the games. They can't help it. As I said before the gaming market is a b-eatch considering the lack of diversity in pricing and the demand for overall quality.

Wow is missing a lot of stuff, some of their features are really outdated and some lack quality, yet they are able to deliver, overall, a quality experience and that's not such a hard goal to achieve in my personal opinion, considering WoW is a 10 year old game that's pushing outdated graphics and limited mechanics. If a company knows how to combine the gameplay, social and other aspects that determine the client's desire to make their game a permanent go-to hub, then it will be able to stand on WoW's shoulders, instantly.

So far I'm pleased with what WS has shown me, but I'm also aware this is the stuff they want me to see. Inevitably this game has to be released and I truly hope it is what I suspect it to be and not another one of those games that joined the rest in the graveyard of would-be WoW Slayers.
    Fishsticks likes this.
  12. Luffy

Luffy New Cupcake

I know what you mean. I also hope that what I've seen so far is not only the bread and butter of the game but only a small part of what's to come.

But why would wanting a no-competition window show lack of confidence in their product? If they are after profits they will most likely look to maximize it. Therefore, I believe that a window like that would allow for the highest maximum profit considering the circumstances.

That's just my opinion, though.