1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Overactive Profanity Filter

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by Fraya, Oct 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fraya

Fraya Cupcake

Come on guys, we're not 7 years old. The level of censorship on this website is extreme.

WARNING: BAD WORDS AHEAD!

If you want to go ahead and shut down words like <Mod Face> Nopedety Nope </Mod Face> I can see the logic there, if you want to do the best to make the forums non-combative. That's getting a little bit on the overprotective parent side. Personally, I think it's a load of garbage, and anything shy of highly offensive images should be free game. But regardless of position, it needs toned down a bit. I'm constantly having to back up through my posts for stuff that couldn't possibly be construed as offensive. Besides, if I want to be offensive, it's just as easy to do it without expletives.
  2. Hybridium

Hybridium Cupcake

Was searching yesterday in the forum options if there's a way to remove it, but I didn't find.
    That'd be a nice option.
  3. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

Searching the forum should of also yielded the other threads about this....there not gona budge on their position..
  4. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

This is personally what I find strange....why would you need to use those words that much in your sentences?
    No your not 7, which means you should be able to write normal sentences without those words to make your point.
    I personally never get that <RADACTED> unless I type it myself to ''overdramatise'' something, which again I don't really do that often.

So TBH, do you really experience so much trouble with this? Then why not try construct the sentences in a different way?

Overall:
    Yes it's pretty strict in here, but you don't really have problems with it if you just type normally.

And yes I do think it helps making sure the flaming won't go too far too fast.

Question:
    Tell me why do you need to use those words? What's the need?
  5. Hybridium

Hybridium Cupcake

If I can add.
    Being not a native english speaker, sometimes, it doesn't seem obvious what word is under the REDACTED tag.

And in this kind of case, it alters my comprehension of the said post.

It's optional in most of the games after all, why not on the forums.
  6. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

So because in games it's possible it automatically should be on forums?

Why don't we just try and change so we don't use those word that often anymore?

Why should you suddenly need to use those words on the internet? Do you even use them that often IRL?

Can't we just try to make mature conversations without the needless use of those words?

Also <REDACTED> is just the best word ever! :D

To me, the best discussions are those wihtout the use of those words the OP describes. It really shows that the person you are talking to is thinking about what he wants to write. It shows that it isn't some needless discussion with stupid sentence like ''because I say so''. It really shows some kind of thought from both the writers if they don't use those words.

Yes, it's getting used to it for the beginning, but I really think that it's the best for a forum to have some sort of censorship. And I personally think this is just the right amount of it.

I'm really active on a lot of fora, and trust me when I say that this is one of those fora that is still really nice. On other fora people just keep using those words, and it's like fuel for trolls and other people who don't come to the forum for discussions about the game.
    On this forum that fuel is far less, and I personally see it back in the amount of trolls on the forum.
    Cull likes this.
  7. Hybridium

Hybridium Cupcake

You missed the fact I wrote "why not".
    And I gave a reason of why it is a good alternative in my situation. Why so close minded about it? The profanity filter would still be there by default, it would just not censor the words for the people that would disable it.
    So if the sight of those words horrify you, let it on.

Do then.
  8. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

I am, hence the reason why I don't even experience the profanity filter :p
    Kataryna likes this.
  9. Fraya

Fraya Cupcake

I'm having to blunt what I say because of the profanity filter. If I'm mad about something, I instinctively say that it's , not that it's garbage. Sometimes I use garbage, because I like to use synonyms often so that I don't get too repetitive.

It's also distracting. If I'm making a point, having to go through it again to edit out any bad words that instinctively came to my mind, it dilutes my ideas.

It's also irritating. In my first few posts on these boards I used the word and it was censored and I understood. Tonight I had to go back through my post to discover that the word was on the no-no list. is on the no-no list, but not?

Finally, this forum has plenty of trolls. Profanity filters are not going to alleviate trolling in the least. Aggressive moderation will kill trolling. Consider that Elitist Jerks is probably the best moderated, cleanest forum for any large gaming community. It doesn't have a profanity filter. A profanity filter and a good community are not connected.
  10. Hybridium

Hybridium Cupcake

That's good if you don't say any bad words and never get redacted, but the problem in this case are the others.
    You can't force them to change if they don't want. And because of that + the filter, it can affect how fluid is my reading and hence, comprehension.

I'm not saying "the profanity filter suck, I'm an adult and I want to be able to say rude words freely!"
    I barely use any IRL in french, and never in English because I think its just retarded.
    So I agree completely with what you said "to make mature conversations without the needless use of those words", because that would do even better as without the filter.
  11. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

<Mod Face>The profanity filter isn't there to stop trolling. It's there so when some of our younger users come online they don't get WELCOME TO THE INTERNET'd, including but not limited to tripling their vocabulary with slurs within the first 5 posts they read.

The rules of the forum are the rules of the forum, if ZR ever wants to change them, we'll let you know. But until then your feedback is appreciated.

TL;DR Whilst you read this I heavily modified your posts, you know, because rules. </Mod Face>
    Ianpact, SiegaPlays and Kataryna like this.
  12. Fraya

Fraya Cupcake

Are you serious dude? We can't even use profanity in a thread that discusses profanity? I gave explicit warnings beforehand that there would be profanity in the post. You literally just cut all of the content from this thread. You might as well have just deleted the entire thing.
  13. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

<Mod Face> Just because you say it's breaking the rules of the forum doesn't make it acceptable to break the rules of the forum. What you wanted was the staff of the site to see your posts and we have. </Mod Face>
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.