1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Path Bonuses

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Emissary, May 19, 2013.

1. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

My point there was that just because it has Rage in it, doesn't automatically mean crazy damage buff. In general Berserker Rage is used to break CC or rage generation, as those are the more important parts of that ability. It was simply an example of an ability which had "Rage" in the name, and although it technically has a damage buff in it, that wasn't the primary use for the ability. Sawpaw was worried about a theoretical ability which would probably be close to the Orc's racial Blood Fury.

This is a summation of the rest of the wall of text.
  2. Rivehn

Rivehn New Cupcake

This is what is making it hard for me to choose between a soldier and Explorer.
  3. Red_Death01

Red_Death01 Cupcake-About-Town

Oh I entirely agree as I myself am one of those... If you give someone an inch they'll run with it for a mile. In truth that 1% could be a huge 900 extra damage... it adds up, if you don't believe me leave your sink on dripping and a glass under it... eventually your glass with be overflowing. Really any path earned ability should be entirely flavor or if possible utility which helps you or your allies but, not so powerful it could be deemed necessary. For example: If a solider gets 'clear the lines' as a taunt- its really solidified itself as a tank path. Tanks only take it as it is an extra taunt and no dps or healer will ever want to use it. If 'clear the lines' is a shield you can put on yourself or an ally then it could be potentially a healer or tank- viable dps but less likely. (I'm just saying the types of utilities I dont think clear the lines will be a shield or taunt.)
  4. Veckna

Veckna Well-Known Cupcake

Just to muddy the waters even more they could simply have differing names for similar abilities if they really wanted to avoid a question of imbalance.

Explorer's Speed could give 10% speed boost due to terrain knowledge for example.
    Battle Rage could give a 10% speed boost due to the soldier's trained adrenaline rush.

Eldan Endurance drains the sprint bar 10% slower due to exposure to ancient technology.
    Clear the Lines drains the sprint bar 10% slower due to superb battle conditioning.

Might not be likely but it is a possibility so I'd wait for confirmation of what things do before worrying.

Combined with taking up a LAS slot I find it hard to believe Carbine would design something that is good enough to replace a standard skill outside of very specific circumstances (also don't forget raids will have variable components so this might even things up with one path having a worthwhile skill one week and another the next even if they are useful enough to be worth slotting).

Yet another design option would be to make such skills function only within path content. Explorer speed bonuses during time trials/surveillance/cartography missions or Soldier combat bonuses during holdouts/assassination/rescue missions and so on.

Another factor to consider is that paths may be able to interact with encounters beyond their specific path abilities so despite not being 100% optimal in terms of general performance it may be beneficial to cover the various paths.
    Example, a scientist path can reprogram an ancient gun turret during a boss fight to shoot at the boss giving far more benefit than a 1% dps boost from a Soldier path ability (random example only!).
    The next week an explorer can block off tunnel mouths preventing adds from using them to spawn.

Only need 1 of each path? Cunning Carbine thought of this and included multiple 'interactive elements' which require one player per 'item' to utilise in the fight. Using the above examples there could be 10 (or more) ancient gun turrets so 10 (or more) scientists would be able to utilise their path skills, there couple be 10 (or more) tunnels that potentially spawn adds so 10 (or more) explorers could be needed to stop add spawns completely (or maybe less to limit where they come from by closing all tunnels on one side for example).

Again, just random examples and speculation but I think there are plenty of options for making path specific skills interesting/unique without necessarily creating a 'one path to rule them all' scenario.

Edit: I'm not claiming they will have such a setup either as they're not reinventing the wheel in all areas of MMO's, just that there's enough scope for a 'wait and see' approach over 'all hands panic stations' :D Making us min/max players reroll keeps the open world populated at least - silver linings folks, silver linings. :laugh:
  5. αRomeo

αRomeo Cupcake-About-Town

The way I see it; is that it's only usable on the field, aka worldmap. Not inside instances or battlegrounds. But of course, will have to wait to learn more.
  6. Veckna

Well there's path content inside battlegrounds (or at least the ability to earn path xp) so I'd guess they may have to allow such skills to be used there depending on what form such content takes (I doubt small imbalances would be a focus given that there are arenas for more strictly balanced PvP). Something else to look forward to seeing info on :geek:
  7. αRomeo

αRomeo Cupcake-About-Town

Path content inside the battlegrounds? Really? Wow that sounds interesting. :up:
  8. Veckna

Yeah they wanted PvP levelling to be viable and due to path xp being separate there had to be ways to earn path xp while simply levelling through battlegrounds. That's as much as I know about it though so it could simply be path xp for normal tasks (although I would have thought that would favour the soldier path too much due to pewpewing people being a large part of play) or it could be more specific content/mechanics (explorers allowing access to a new route to backdoor the enemy, settlers creating forward respawns/buff points, scientists accessing/bypassing AI defences, soldiers holding points or maybe getting swat mission style weaponry as potential examples).
  9. Thordran

Thordran Cupcake-About-Town

I think that the trick with the abilities balancing at end game is that they all aren't going to be equally useful in all circumstances as well.

In general, when I played Warcraft at least, speed buffs were the absolute greatest buffs with regards to DPS. The correct answer to just about every fight was that you wanted run speed on your boots to maximize your DPS. Some fights with minimal movement (patchwerk comes to mind), made run speed pointless however as you didn't have to move at all.

Looking at that list that has probably changed quite a bit by now as it's 2 months old, I think that they need to think about making sure that each path has something that directly improves tanking/dps/healing. They don't all have to be equal, and can have some flavor, but they should be close enough to each other so that each role can be improved while playing in a meaningful way.

Also, vary the fights up. One of the ways that developers can solve the whole "this is the best min/max answer for every situation" problem is to make the answer somewhat different on every fight so that each role/class has the more correct answer in some but not all situations. Make a settler the best for one fight, but make an explorer ability best for the next fight. Warcraft used to do this all the time by making certain tanks or healers or DPS better on certain fights but less optimal on others before the whole homogenization thing got taken into overdrive and basically everyone is the same now.

If one class/path is the correct answer all of the time, then you've failed at game design.

Please don't fail at game design Carbine.