1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Paths' perks significance from PvE standpoint

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Mambus, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Mambus

Mambus New Cupcake

I recently read about the perks of each path in the guide on the Wildstar Fans website and it seems those perks are far from cosmetic (hopefully, the perks being posted on the site means no NDA breach, since path levelling is independent of character levelling). Potential raiders might then be forced away from their preffered path to something else for the good of the raid.

The problem I see is that the use of the perks is not allowed in PvP instances, but PvE and world PvP is still affected. Unless the same perks can be provided through other sources in the game (perhaps something crafted or bought with limited charges), the path preference will exist. Let me provide a short perk recap:

Settler
    1. buff from campfire on 60 min CD (possible mandatory buff for raids?)
    2. summon vendbot on 10 min CD (very nice convenience for repairs, but not essential)
    3. portal to housing on 60 min CD (pure self convenience)

Apart from buff, settler does not seem to have a lot of useful things for raids.

Scientist

1. Ability that lowers mob aggro range on 30 sec CD (potential way to skip mobs in dungeons/raids or poor man's CC for patrols)
    2. Summon group on 30 min CD (very powerful, especially if applicable to raids as well)
    3. Create portal to Capitol on 60 min CD

Scientist is every dungeon groups' dream, not only does he summon you to the dungeon, he can also port you back to Capitol once the dungeon is done. Even the lower aggro ability might have some group uses.

Also, imagine a speed run with stalker scientist that sneaks through 15 packs of trash and then summons the entire group right before the boss, possibly even in raid :>.

Soldier

1. Restore to full power with no CD if out of combat and below 75% health (powerful for healing between the pulls for tanks or even in the middle of fight for stalker possibly)
    2. Teleport the entire group to safety with 10min CD (for resetting bad pulls)
    3. Drop weapon locker with three weapons for you and the group on 60 min CD (potential extra DPS, CC or AOE for your group)

Soldier seems pretty solid for tanks and also quite overpowered for world PvP (drop combat if hurt and heal to full with no CD).

Explorer

1. Less fall damage on 1 min CD (reduction of raid dmg from drop machanics)
    2. Stop in the air for a split second on 5 sec CD (might help in some encounters)
    3. Beacon that teleports you to a set place once used second time on 10 min CD (decent for dps for more time on boss and out of fire)

Explorer seems decent, but all the perks are pretty situational.

What do you guys think? Is seems to me that every raider going to be soldier and every dungeoneer a scientist.
  2. Greatheart

Greatheart Cupcake

Hmm I recently updated the wiki for Scientist abilities from a video I found on YouTube (link) and they were quite different and no-where near as ... "preferential".

Scientist
    Clarity Elixir ~ Activation: Places a Ration's crate. Upon interacting with the crate, for the next 5 seconds restores 2% focus every 0.5 seconds. CD: 30 minutes CT: 3 Seconds

Generator: Reputation Gain ~ Activation: Places an aura on the ground that increases reputation gain by 2% to allies within 35 meters for the next 60 seconds. CD: 10 minutes CT: Instant

Create Portal - Capital City ~ Activation: Opens a portal to the Capital City for the next 10 seconds. CD: 120 minutes CT: 3 seconds

I really hope the information on WildStar Fans is out of date as it seems a really big step backward to give such huge, practically game changing abilities to Paths.

The Soldier abilities on the wiki are different too but not sure how old the info is.

If the info is true, I'm sure as hell not rolling Settler where I can't change my Path ever and I'm stuck with sub-par abilities for the next 5+ years.
  3. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

As far as I know Greatheart is right here.
    It seems to me like you still got some old info about the path perks. Just like how the soldier once had the ability to call in reinforcements :D (too bad their scrapped that one...)
  4. Greatheart

Greatheart Cupcake

I think the "Teleport Group to Safety" would be an awesome Guild Leader ability that required your Guild be a certain rank or have a certain building in the warplot etc. Same with the "Summon Group" ability.
  5. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

All the abilities are OUT of combat abilities also, so there's that.
    Benzecry likes this.
  6. Benzecry

Benzecry Cupcake-About-Town

Yeah, a few would be too OP in world PvP otherwise.