1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

paths some what disappointing?

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by tron850, Mar 17, 2014.

1. tron850

tron850 New Cupcake

anyone else feel a little disappointed with the path system. I mean don't get me wrong I'm preordering this game tomorrow, but the way they discribed them. I was under the impression that you could level through them. then I played the beta and they feel more like a somewhat acquired side thing with its own XP bar separate from the actual XP bar. just wondering how everyone else feels on the subject.
  2. Benevon

Benevon Cupcake-About-Town

I haven't gotten into any of the beta yet (excited for pre order beta weekend this weekend), but I always got the impression that paths were kind of "side quests" to make your leveling experience more unique.
    Kataryna likes this.
  3. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

They kinda hyped it, but that's normal.

The way I see it is like this:
    It's a way to remove some quest types that you don't like to do, while adding quest types that you do like.

While they give you path EXP you do get some seconary exp reward, but indeed leveling with only paths is hard if not impossible.
  4. Omerta

Omerta New Cupcake

I look at it like reputation or faction XP. The path XP chain unlocks titles and rewards that are secondary enhancements. They add color to the leveling experience or could be skipped altogether. I am going to leveling up multiple dominion toons and having the different paths will add some variety to zones I have to repeat. Or I could skip the paths all together and try leveling up in PvP.
  5. Startasia

Startasia New Cupcake

The paths could have been better... It would have been better to see them added in to the line of quests, instead of making them "side quests" which makes it to where you don't even have to do them.. In fact if you do complete them, it takes you a lot longer to level. And IMO they give you no real want to finish them (they give you path skills.. which scientist has the only skills that are worth leveling the path for, but once you get them, a lot of beta testers would stop leveling it. I really hope in two months Carbine does A LOT of updating on the game. Its no where near where it needs to be.
  6. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

That's a pretty big statement....

What do you think needs to be updated? (so for 1 that would be paths, right?)

I also think we both have a different meaning of the words ''no where near''.

Ps: Beta-tester? (and since when?)
  7. Miatog

Miatog Cupcake-About-Town

I'm not sure where you got that impression since they were always given as something you do along side of leveling with it's own XP. It's a way to break up the monotony of questing for those who have that issue. Or just something fun to do because it's what you like. Also helps to focus in on more stuff you like to do, fewer puzzles, or killing quests, etc.
    Theonekitten likes this.
  8. tron850

tron850 New Cupcake

well, I got the impression from the fact that when ever they were asked about or talked about paths, they said it allowed you to level in your own way doing the kind of quests you prefer to do. they didn't say the quest gave a separate form of exp only useful to paths and that paths would feel like a side reputation quest line, rather than a center piece to the main quest line as I'm sure most people got the impression of.
    Fishsticks likes this.
  9. achesoma

achesoma Cupcake

It's my biggest disappointment. There is so much potential with the concept. Paths just feel like more added chores to an already bloated questing system. The worst part is the path missions don't even flow with your standard quests. I felt like they were out of the way and more of a nuisance.
  10. Kytty

Kytty Cupcake-About-Town

Well since it is an entirely new concept to an MMO I dont think we can bash them too much about it. I too thought it would help you level as well, but it is a separate XP bar with a small portion going to main XP. But I do love the fact that I can choose which one so I dont HAVE to do quests I hate. Mind you I am not one of these people on a freight train to max level. I like to see the pretties along the way so it doesnt really bother me that it is separate to the main xp bar. I get to enjoy it the way I want. Sure it could use a few tweaks here and there. Maybe have it more immersed in the main leveling of the game rather than .. Oh right I have that path one to do as well. Possibly a little more story driven. But on the whole I think it will evolve over time and become something great.
  11. calebrus

calebrus Cupcake-About-Town

This.
    And this.

I think that MMO players all to often forget that an MMO is actually an MMORPG. And the G stands for Game. It should be fun. You don't have to race to cap. You should smell the roses along the way on at least one toon, if not more than one.
    The paths just enhance the game and tailor it for the individual player. You know, for fun. Because it's a game. So doing things that you enjoy just makes the game more fun for you.
    I fail to see how tailoring parts of the game to the individual to enhance their personal journey could in any way be considered a disappointment. I think it's amazing.
    Could they have been more? Sure. But a disappointment? I disagree completely.
  12. Quawfledyffix

Quawfledyffix New Cupcake

What do you actually get from leveling up your path-level?
  13. Makull

Makull New Cupcake

3 abilities of which you can place 1 at a given time on your LAS in a special slot.
  14. Kaeret

Kaeret New Cupcake

Aside from the abilities Makull mentioned, there are also title and item rewards (like bags).
  15. Quawfledyffix

Quawfledyffix New Cupcake

Okay, thanks.
  16. tron850

tron850 New Cupcake

I agree with the idea of not being a race to cap and enjoy the journey. the thing that disappointed me was the way it was built up and embellished. I expected the path to be your main quest line. like as a settler I wanted to level up by building things. it was talked up as if the path I choose would be the main questline allowing me to pick and choose from the other quest hubs rather than be funneled to level down the main one with just random path quests worth little along the way. this is why its disappointing. its like being told your buying a mustang, and everything you research on it makes it look more and more like a mustang. then when you go to test drive it, its a Honda civic with mustang tail lights.
  17. Dinglewood

Dinglewood New Cupcake

Tried scientist, boring.
    Was thinking it was a way to have direct informations on world elements (I scan a creature, I have informations on this creature) and sometimes discover new elements to store them in my database, but it was all about searching elements wich will interact with my drone.

I like exploration, but new MMORPG make confusion between exploration and jumping platforms (not much to do with a RPG).
  18. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

there are actually scientist only unlockable info about creatures (or at least at the beginning of beta there was, haven't played a scientist recently) and you wouldn't know it was there unless you were a scientist iirc
    Omerta likes this.
  19. Omerta

Omerta New Cupcake

Plus it seemed that there was a bunch of datacubes that only your drone could access.
  20. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Some (if not all of those) are buggs, since I had the same with 1 datacube, although another of my characters (who isn't a scientist) could use it though....