1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

paths some what disappointing?

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by tron850, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Omerta

Omerta New Cupcake

I didn't find any that were unusable, just unreachable without the drone.
  2. calebrus

calebrus Cupcake-About-Town

That would be the equivalent of four different games (actually five) being developed in one MMO. That's like WoW, DCUO, Tera and Gw2 all rolled into one.
    Your expectation was completely unreasonable.
    Perhaps EQNL would be a better game for you.
  3. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

:eek: wow no need for that tbh.

He said ''expectations'' it's not uncommon for expectations to be different from reality, doesn't mean the entire game isn't for him.

And personally I must admit that they've hyped paths a bit too much, if you look at the end result it's not as ''grand'' as they'd make you believe in the devspeaks. It's a common ''complaint'' that i've head even from a lot of Beta-testers.
  4. calebrus

calebrus Cupcake-About-Town

It wasn't meant the way that you took it. It's just that expecting to create completely different leveling paths for each path (similar to TOR, but more complecated because they would need to be balanced overall instead of per class) would be unreasonable for a new developer. Or any developer for that matter.
    And the EQNL remark was just honesty. If that's the kind of game he's looking for EQNL would fit the bill better than WS.
  5. Felion

Felion Cupcake-About-Town

I enjoyed the paths, all of them, but that's probably because I wasn't giving too much thoughts about them before so I wasn't hyped. You need a right mentality to enjoy it though, much like everything else in life. If you're in a hurry, scanning probably will just be boring --- But if you're in the mood to read, a lot of the scientist things are quite intriguing.

As for the benefits to the leveling part of game play, I wouldn't call it "none" because each path brings a little bit, especially settlers and soldiers. You pick up quests, head over to the area, do your soldier path defence thing, tons of mobs come out and before you know it you've finished the quests. Not just you, but every single player in that area who gets to tag. Settler on the other hand, buff stations! Speed boost is AWESOME... XP boost is AWESOME... Occasional hp regen centre in the middle of enemy zone is also AWESOME! As for explorer and scientist, you can scan things to give an aoe buff and all, but not something you can rely on to help you during leveling.
  6. tron850

tron850 New Cupcake

well, to be honest. my expectations weren't that far fetched. 5 leveling paths that all link up in the same areas doing different things. swtor did it, unfortunately that game did just about everything else wrong. WS looks and plays amazing. I just think they far over hyped paths and did about the worst job I've ever heard explaining what they were intended to be. as for eqn, I'll pass for now eq2 was pretty terrible.
  7. Bnol

Bnol Cupcake-About-Town

I have many problems with the path system. One is the fact that you do not get regular XP (or mob credit) from paths so it just slows your leveling. For example, you don't get to avoid any of the leveling kill/gather quests (which is the bulk of the leveling quests btw) in the area and do explorer quests, instead you have to do all the kill/gather quests and then spend more time in the same area doing Explorer quests. Soldier is the only path that regularly overlaps with leveling quests with SWAT missions (using special weapons to kill mobs), since every single normal quest has you kill X% of mobs in the area, so it has the least amount of time extension (granted I didn't try the settler path). But the entire leveling process just feels like you are a Soldier anyways (yes I understand combat is central to the game).

My next problem with paths is that you have to choose at the beginning and are stuck with it. Sometimes all I want to do is more killing (and more difficult killing), but other times I am in the mood for more jump puzzles, and others for traditional puzzles (never in the mood to just pick up more junk on the ground lol Settler path). I would be fine with that if the path content made the leveling signficantly different (other than spending more time), but it does not. I leveled both a Soldier and an Explorer in the same area and did the exact same stuff for >80% of my time (hello personal story versus world story in SW:TOR). A lot of the path content is really fun, but it is closed off to a limited set of people, and it will not be worth it to level other characters solely for the path content. The basic leveling would be more interesting and varied if the path quests were not locked away behind paths and instead were optional (but mutually exclusive) side quests.

Paths had great potential to enhance the leveling experience, but instead it just makes it bloated and removes a lot of variety from the normal questing experience, making the first playthrough less interesting than it could have been, which lowers the chance of a second (or even a full first) playthrough.
    Fishsticks and achesoma like this.
  8. Jeuraud

Jeuraud Cupcake-About-Town

I have read nothing that states you could level up through the paths. In fact I have read just the opposite; statement like this WSC link
    , that is verified by this Dev vid by Jeremy Gafner.
    If your sole info is the Paths Dev Speak than you might take it to mean you could level up through the paths; this is one of those things where 'everybody' knows the above statement to be true so it was not specified that you could not level up in the Dev Speak, but it was also not specified that you could level up in the Dev Speak.

If you have a W* Dev statement that says that you can level up through the Path System then post it, otherwise your disappointed about something that was not promised.
  9. THIS AURINS ON FIRE!!!!!!

THIS AURINS ON FIRE!!!!!! Cupcake-About-Town

its called crossing paths where other players in your party with different paths allow to experience some of their paths content :D
  10. Vertigo Teaparty

Vertigo Teaparty New Cupcake

I too was under the impression that Paths were something you could spend 100% of your time doing. I've been looking for another fun MMO where I could spend all my time gathering resources, crafting, and selling my wares. However, from what I'm reading today, crafting is yet again another case of "Just do that on the side of killing mobs and the occasional PvP."

I was lucky enough to get a beta key for the weekend and am looking forward to playing but my expectations have pretty much dropped through the floor.

I see a few people saying "Well, actually, if you see this Dev Speak here they downplayed paths." The vast majority of people, even those interested in the game, aren't going to keep up with or watch every bit of info that comes out. I watched some of the major video/info releases but was always under the impression that Paths were a core component of the game. It seems I'm not alone in that.

Regardless, I hope the game is fun and different than all of the other PvE/PvP MMOs out there.
  11. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

You say ''another'', could you please tell me the last MMO you've played where you could do that?

Cause to me you just described something that is rather a rare view in MMO's then it is common.
  12. Sapien

Sapien Cupcake-About-Town

So what you are saying is that all of thouse cubes with voiceover i enjoyed so much as an explorer are for scientists only? Damn i think i am goin the scientist path :)
  13. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Otherway around.....

There where a lot of cubes that 1 of my character could only get with the scanner, but as soon as I logged into my soldier/warrior he could take it without a scanner.
    So what i'm saying that some of those ''scanners only cubes'' may have been bugged.

But I can only tell you out of my own experience, mayby things changed.
  14. Bnol

Bnol Cupcake-About-Town

LOL cross pathing is one of the bigger jokes of the path system, thanks I forgot about that. Let me cross-path with the settler, maybe help him pick up all the resources he needs spread across the land, nope he just goes off in random directions and picks up resources while I do something else. How about scientist, certainly I can do the puzzles as well, oh you mean I just wait while he does it. Only soldier and explorer can I actually do what the path does, and explorer is fairly limited, I can follow the explorer around (which can be frustrating if it is a timed/activated jump puzzle). But all of that just means we are now both leveling at an even slower pace to do both paths and the normal leveling content.

I like the game a lot, but paths (and questing in general) really are weak points and I think questing is hurt because of having Paths in the game as they are now. Not that anything is going to change, but it is disappointing nonetheless.
  15. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Only the settler is a bit of a ''solo'' teamplayer path. You solo the path but by doing so you are ''helping'' others.

But the others paths are nice, i've been playing as a scientist with an explorer for a while and it was nice. A warrior to make a nice threesome would've been even better ;)

Now if you are someone who wants to level as fast as possible, then you might get annoyed by the paths, but that's your own problem then, isn't it?
  16. Bnol

Bnol Cupcake-About-Town

I understand you get access to things you wouldn't normally, but you aren't actively participating in the path content, you are sitting and waiting for both Settler and Scientist, so half of the paths have no real content for others in the group to do, just content others have to sit and wait for (or go and do their path content on their own).

I also have a completionist mindset when questing, I finished almost all quests (some tasks I skipped) and completed the path missions before moving on, but that was actually detrimental to my leveling process, both because of the XP drop in outleveling mobs, and only getting path XP. This is made worse by the fact that many of the path quests are just "gather"/interact with X amount of things on the ground, and some paths are worse than others in this regard. I have no problem leveling slower when I am solo, but if I am in a group I don't want to slow down my group with path content they aren't even able to participate in. For a feature of the game, Paths are a disappointment.
  17. tron850

tron850 New Cupcake

agreed. I would have so much rather path quests be done more in a "swtor main character storyline" way than a side addition. if they were the main quest line and intersected with other paths and quest along the way it simply would have flowed better... and made more sense. as it is paths just seem awkward and almost tedious. what ever though, I'm preordering for the overall game not just a niche. so with that said, I hope they really improve them, but as long as the rest of the game is as good as it is. I'm still all for this game.
  18. Bnol

Bnol Cupcake-About-Town

My ideal (not what I expected paths to be) would be to eliminate all task quests in the game and replace them with choosing between mutually exclusive path missions. For example, the main questline send you to Area X, and instead of having the task (to kill or gather x items) in that area you would have 4 mutually exclusive path missions, which would reward you with normal experience and, if they desperately needed path abilities/rewards, path currency/reputation.

You would choose which path mission you were going to take when talking to the questgiver, so you would have more interaction and agency in how you will solve the particular problem. This would cut down on a lot of the quest bloat, would encourage mindful interaction with NPC questgivers to increase investment in the quests, and allow groups to coordinate to participate in the same path content. Certainly, this would shorten the leveling time (which is preferable for me) so they could still include some of the tasks to extend the leveling time, but those additional tasks should be entirely avoidable if you do shiphands, adventures, and dungeons, which I find are the most fun parts of WS.
  19. JaeKin

JaeKin New Cupcake

I get what Tron is saying, but I agree with Calebrus. I think your expectations were a little too "hopeful" I guess. When I heard paths announced, I wasn't expecting it as an entirely different way of leveling, but just an additional activity that you can partake in based on what you enjoy that comes with some perks.

Like Calebrus indicated earlier, too many people look at something as "how fast can I get through the grind to start raiding" not "what's in this game to enjoy" I'm afraid that if was just another way to level, it would just become a horrible mess of 1) One choice being the fastest to level and 2) have to spend time to "balance" path xp.

I'm happy with what it is, it's another activity, like achievements or faction, but specific to how you like to play. I'm sure many people (and some have already posted as much) see it as X equals all that matters, Y path provides the most X, therefore, Y is the only one that matters, and fine, let them. Don't enjoy it. I'll enjoy it because I have a story behind my Esper Scientist, and I'm happy to waste time not leveling, just seeing some lore that in no way contributes to how fast I level or how powerful I am. (Other than knowledge, which we all know, Knowledge is Power)

But in Tron's defense, you're reading or listening to announcements, I think it's easy to filter out different intent. I'm surprised that's how you heard it, Tron, but not that you heard something differently than I did. We all interpret things a little differently.
    calebrus likes this.
  20. Hob

Hob Cupcake

I could see how the OP could think they'd be a larger part of the content, but I don't believe I've ever seen anything insinuating that you could level solely through the path system. They are what they are and I enjoy the fact that it gives you a little extra content based on your preferred playstyle, as well as more variation when leveling alts if you choose a different path on them.

I think the point they're at is just fine for launch but it will certainly be interesting to see how they progress in future content.
    Theonekitten likes this.