1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

paths some what disappointing?

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by tron850, Mar 17, 2014.

1. calebrus

calebrus Cupcake-About-Town

And for the record, I think the "mutually exclusive" idea would be fantastic. I doubt it will ever be a reality, but but would be amazing nonetheless.
    And in a sense, that's exactly what Adventures bring to the table, which is why I doubt we'll ever see it in zones in place of quests. Sounds to me like Bnol is voting for many more Adventures after launch.
  2. JaeKin

JaeKin New Cupcake

I agree, I don't think we'll ever see it, but that would be really cool. I am also super excited about adventures, but I think that's a topic for another forum.
  3. Theonekitten

Theonekitten New Cupcake

As the Devs said in their video, paths were meant as an outlet to cater to different playstyles and to provide more of a specific thing people like in their MMOs. It wasn't meant to be for levelling, just to add variety to the world for the player, although you can get some path XP when people use items you make which keeps them from being useless. I like that. I for one, am looking forward to scientist because I love lore and do like to read about the world my character lives in and I want to understand why things are the way they are. :) I also love exploring too, but I'm okay with doing that on my opposite faction character. Immersion is the key and I feel Wildstar does this better than most MMOs currently in the market. :)
    gamer73 likes this.
  4. gamer73

gamer73 New Cupcake

I agree that immersion is the key. At least its the key for my longlivety in games.

As a beta tester I like the path system....not that I have tested much or tried many paths (just settler), but I have read alot and I like what i read and I know I will NOT play a settler....Its pretty boring to build banners and flagposts and the occational buff stations....sure..buff stations help others than myself also, but I dont have "a nurse" mentality in real life and i cant roleplay it either. So I found that settler has little in it for me. It was particular depressing to find that all the things i built as a settler degraded and vanished after some minutes...

The soldier path is to me just the same as we do in games....fight mobs...and I dont need additional mobs to kill...and I'm not to fond of trying out all kinds of explosives or other imersion breaking big weapons...i just want to use my dual pistols period.

Explorer....well...I'm not a completionist...i never complete whole maps in mmo's, and i hate jumping puzzles...so I guess i cant play an explorer.

So..I will play a scientist (thats also my real life education so...), since I tend to read in-depth lore things once I'm max level. And since it helps immersion into the game. And also, I think/hope thats its the least stressfull paths...(let that scan-bot do the work)...
    Theonekitten likes this.
  5. Bnol

Bnol Cupcake-About-Town

I never thought they would be a separate way to level. I understand their intent and was excited to do them at first, but that quickly faded. So many of the path missions are the same fed-ex, gather/interact, or kill quests you have to do for normal quests. You just have to do more of the same grindy filler quests. Hey, we heard you like to explore, so go to this area that is clearly marked and easy to get to because it is where everyone else is doing quests and set up a bunch cameras! You like to build things? Well not so fast, go gather a bunch of materials first and come back, and then once you get done with interacting with a bunch of stuff on the ground, come back and interact with a bunch of banners that will stick around for all of 2 min, etc.

You are doing very little additional content that you want to do. There is a lot of good questing content in the game and a lot of good path content, but there just isn't enough to form 4 different paths along with the normal quests, there is just too much filler. I also understand that I don't have to do them, but not doing them makes it a disappointing feature that had a lot of potential if it wasn't so bloated.
  6. Kiszen

Kiszen New Cupcake

I LOVE settler and a like Scientist.. I will never do the other two again
  7. Golconda

Golconda New Cupcake

Hmm...this is a hard one. I have enjoyed the extra stuff almost like a frosting on a cupcake, but the cupcake is the standard questing MMO material. I am more overwhelmed by how much I could choose to do but don't have to do. Although I may be alone in the fact that blowing up rowsdowers is very entertaining to me. :p
  8. Karnaj

Karnaj New Cupcake

You are not alone <.< >.>
  9. David Curran

David Curran New Cupcake

I felt the same way OP. I feel like they avoided telling people the way it functions and instead just told us something we wanted to hear.
  10. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

I had been running around this weekend on mostly two different paths. The Settler and the Scientist. I find the scientist idea neat and attractive, but the Settler seems to be more overall helpful.

But the main thing I encountered was the fact that there was simply so much to do that it became cluttered after a little while. With the settler I was constantly on the lookout for resources. Then building improvement nods that gave myself temporary buffs. To be the honest the buffs were very useful, lasted a long time, and lots could use them. It was also really, really easy to earn rep. However, after a little while the settler path became repetitive.

The scientist path? Well. It was kind of annoying to have to constantly resummon the scanbot. It's kind of squishy sometimes. I had to click on something to scan it, though I'm sure someone will make an addon that tells the scanbot to automatically scan the nearest scientist target. Telling the bot to go out and scan was kind of distracting. It was also kind of annoying to me to hunt down things to complete the missions (like datacubes). I know that's just me.

Yet I didn't encounter much on the settler path yet like I did with the scientist in terms of missions. Like playing matchmaker to rowsdowers. The nearest was that completing some projects gave access to a new contact for a mission, but it was far from the spontaneous nature of the Scientist. It might take 20 mins to get materials to complete the project. I'm still torn between the two, but I feel that while Settler can be super useful it also becomes super repetitive. Scientist has a nature of unpredictability to it.

I still love the settler buffs though. They let me squish things squishy-squish with the esper.

The next preorder weekend that comes I'll probably try out the Soldier.
  11. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

...why not just provide xp for doing path content...
  12. tron850

tron850 New Cupcake

agreed, that would be an elegant cure for the lack luster time vampire that is currently path quests
  13. calebrus

Disagree.
    In order to keep the leveling process relevant, they would then need to lower XP on everything else, or you'd end up outleveling the zone much too quickly. This would then turn what are now optional path quests into required leveling content.

You basically have two options.
    1. Make path quests mandatory by having them grant XP. This leaves players that don't enjoy any of the paths unhappy that they are forced to do something that they don't enjoy.
    2. Make the path quests optional by having them on a separate XP system. This leaves a handful of people feeling unfulfilled, but that's OK because they are now optional. If you enjoy the paths you do them, if you do not enjoy the paths you ignore them.

I think they chose correctly.
    Kataryna likes this.
  14. eharper256

eharper256 Cupcake-About-Town

I'm mostly ok with Paths. Sure they're not exactly game-altering; but if you view then for what they are; a means to get more quests of the type you like doing, then what they do is acceptable and even admirable.

I think they've taken the right approach with separating the XP system.

People who view them as a pointless time sink seem to be missing the point. They're not there to help you progress faster!
  15. Domi Dayglow

Perhaps not game altering, but the path you choose can greatly effect content and even content of other players around you. Like the path related buffs I mentioned above. I had an easier time as a settler because I could build station to buff myself before going out on quests.

What would make paths more interesting is interactions with other paths. It could be used to encourage grouping. Currently it's there to a small degree. Such as following an explorer or scientist to open doors and find hidden passages or participating in a soldier's holdout. Yet such things are optional.

I'm hesitant to suggest making some content requiring certain classes. Such as opening a complex door requiring an explorer to find a path, a settler to repair a the door terminal, a scientist to hack the code, and a soldier to crack open a weapons crate to take on the big boss inside. Finding all those requirements would be a pain in the butt.
  16. tron850

tron850 New Cupcake

I disagree. if you make them worth actual XP while not reducing the regular quest XP, then it does exactly what they said they would do. allow people to quest how they want. you would only out level a zone if you were to complete every quest in the zone. isn't that the point though... give players a variety of ways to level instead of forcing them down a singular path of quests.

it would make the path system worth wild and make you choose your path as carefully as you did your class, instead of making it something you almost randomly choose. currently paths hold no value aside from bag slots and semi situationally valuable abilities. if you are a full on completionist then you should out level the zone you're in. that's completely normal.
  17. Malachi

Malachi Cupcake-About-Town

You can debate all you want about the mechanics of the path system, but really it starts with one fundamental question: are the paths fun?

And my honest answer? No. They aren't.

What is the motivation for doing anything in the soldier path? You aren't the least bit short on things to kill in the open world. You will get quests coming out of your ears that ask you to kill things, so why were you in need of more content that requires you to do it?

Settler path...saying "I like the buffs that come out of the settler path" doesn't say anything at all about whether it is actually enjoyable. You could get those buffs without having to be a settler. There's not a lot that is satisfying about going out of your way to pick up stuff lying around in your zone in order to make something that lasts for about 10 minutes, if you ask me.

Scientist and explorer aren't my style, but those are two paths that do actually seem like they could be enjoyable, and they are different enough from what you are doing normally that it feels justified to give them a path. However, in order to enjoy being a scientist, you have to actually care a lot about lore. If you don't really care about lore, you won't like being a scientist. And explorer, that just has to be your thing.

Being a settler does nothing to enhance your social connection to the game, and being a soldier is, as far as I can tell, practically pointless.
    Domi Dayglow likes this.
  18. Domi Dayglow

I've spent much of tonight playing around with the scientist path before reading this and that's when it helped me realize something. Settler wasn't fun for me. I went really far with it, but it honestly constantly felt like a chore to gather resources. The scientist? I didn't really know what was going to happen when I scanned something. That unknown quality was fun to me.
  19. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

.... If carbine says we have this new feature, People jump in praise.
    Try to modify the existing feature and people condemn..

More content is always better. You don't have to do all the content in a zone. You can pick and chose the experience you want and be awarded equality.
  20. calebrus

I'm not condemning the possibility or discussion of changes to the path system. It's far from perfect in my mind. But in regards to the choice to put paths on a separate XP system than character level XP I think the descision was a wise one.