1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

paths some what disappointing?

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by tron850, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Malachi

Malachi Cupcake-About-Town

The solution to the path system is not "if you don't like it, don't do it." People are bringing this post up because they want the path system to actually work. It's a good idea, but the execution of it isn't that great. There is some good raw material here, and we're saying use that raw material and make it into something a bit better.
  2. tron850

tron850 New Cupcake

yes, the ground work is there, but why is it a bad idea to give people an option to max level through paths completely and skipping the actual quest lines if they choose. seems like more options to max level is what people have always preferred. separate XP systems just feels weird, makes paths feel overall pointless rather than making them appear like real options to break up the monotony that is level a character to max. your alts could have totally different level experiences from one another, which currently is not the case.
    just food for thought, I don't expect everyone to jump on this idea, but I find it hard to believe that the masses are actually satisfied with the way paths are currently. side tasks.
  3. Fishsticks

Fishsticks Cupcake-About-Town

This. For me, this. I generally game with 4-5 IRL friends and it was so <REDACTED> annoying to be running around in a group with them and have to constantly say "oh hey guys hang on, stop for a second while I pick up these settler materials" or "wait right here I need to go scan this Scientist node over there" while the rest of your group just stands and waits for you to finish whatever task you're working on. Yes there are a few exceptions which allow for group play and path-crossing (settlers fix the mining bot, and scientists makes it operational etc.) but by and large Paths seem like something they just sort of tacked on
  4. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

If I see a soldier trigger a holdout, and we're both alone, I'll very likely go to it. However, in a group, it's more likely the group will want to focus on the quest at hand.

A scientist running off to scan something can be annoying. If I was the scientist there, I guess I would just send my bot out to scan it and forget about it. If the bot gets squished, oh well.

At the same time, Scientist and Explorer can use their paths for combat buffs. A plant on the left of the boss can trigger a healing field if scanned. Likewise there may be a settler node on the right of the boss where another healing field can be set up. At the same time you might not want the soldier to trigger that holdout that's right in front of the boss. At least not until after the boss has been defeated.

Do you think that paths seem intended as solo play? It kind of seems that way to me. Something to do when friends are not around. Then it looks like about halfway through Carbine decided to try to make them co-dependent with certain tasks or add group benefits. Some classes seem more suited to group activities than other.