1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Pathways, are they locked after making a choice

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by mr. bob, Nov 29, 2012.

1. mr. bob

mr. bob New Cupcake

lets say i start my path as a soldier, and i want to slauter the planet, and at somepoint my Main has an mid life crisis feeling he has done nothing but harm and decides he can no longer be this mindless person and must change or be forever lost in the world, will i than be able to drop my soldier and maybe become a scientist or settler? once i choose am i stuck?
  2. Scooter

Scooter Carbine Studios

Currently paths are chosen during character creation, just like you choose your class. However, if you group up with friends who chose a different path, you can all participate in the various path content together.
    clack, pikachu and mr. bob like this.
  3. mr. bob

mr. bob New Cupcake

i see but have they in any way or form let us know of the ability to change our path, maybe we level to cap with one and experience another with a friend and find that the my friends is way more, fun but i play a lot more than him so id like to switch without a re-roll

also are specs locked, dps,tank,healz as that was a majore downfall in swtor.
  4. ObliviousPrime

ObliviousPrime "That" Cupcake

you could dual spec in Swtor though.

Why not create characters with all the paths then level the one you feel comfortable with?
  5. Phiqu

Phiqu Cupcake-About-Town

Paths are extra content and you chose your favourite. Carbine give us definitely later a better Overview about them. So we can make the right choice for our Main.
  6. Michael72

Michael72 Cupcake

I do really like the basic idea of the path system. Nonetheles, regardless how much info we get before launch (or, hopefully, beta ;) ) we will probably make some mistakes after all. As the path system is a key feature of WSO, it should be implemented in a way that really is important from the start, but there should be an option to do something about it when you get stuck with a character you love but a path that you loathe. I'd therefore would appreciate if there was an option to change your path with the character you have become fond of and like, rather then to reroll. It should not be too easy, though, maybe cost a bunch of ingame currency or, even better, require a challenging questline.
  7. ObliviousPrime

maybe if the game is B2P Carbine could sell a path changer in the cash shop.

[sorry I got GW2 recent makeover kit on the brain :p ]
  8. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

I like it when you aren't necessarily locked in right at character creation. In this case maybe allowing players to try each path til level 5-10 or once they leave the first zone a decision must be made.
  9. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

It's already confirmed that you have to pick your path at character creation and can't switch afterwards. You can wish for it to happen, but I think you just have to accept it. :)
  10. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

That's what forums are for and lots of things can change over time. :)
  11. starspun

starspun Well-Known Cupcake

I feel like asking this is pretty much the same as asking to be able to change your class - especially when using the "midlife crisis" angle.

If you're a veteran MMO player, you already know the type of class you lean toward, and whether you're mainly a killer, explorer, collector, or socializer - this should make finding the right fit for you incredibly easy. If you're a new player, you're likely to end up messing around with several classes and paths before you find something that clicks with you anyway.

I could deal with a possible path change if it was limited to once per character or something, but having it as a sort of at-will thing (whether as a quest or just heading to a trainer and paying X amount of cash) honestly ruins the uniqueness of the feature.
  12. mr. bob

mr. bob New Cupcake

i agree with you that changing often ruins the unique aspect of the char maybe limiting to one change per toon would be a viable option, as i dont see penalties for making a char where the path you choose ultimately isnt what you enjoy after 30 lvls forces you to re-roll. one change per toon seems viable if it be for currency or quest doesnt matter to me.
  13. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

All MMOs seems to reset talents now and then during big patches, what about an ability to switch path tied to that?

However, paths is one good reason to group up. You can get all paths in a group of all paths. Simple.
  14. Tiktak

Tiktak Cupcake-About-Town

Yeah but I can see a scenario where you level for a bit with the path you chose, (Say: Explorer.) liking it a lot, then you group up with some people, and find that say the groups Scientist feels more your game... and as you level you start to wish you'd chosen Scientist at character creation. (Although nothing stops you from making a new toon!)

I'm sort of on the fence. But then, I usually mess around with classes and specs before I settle on a 'main' anyway, that's my play-style and I know it's not for everyone. I like the idea of trying out all the different paths before properly choosing one...

But then, Beta is hopefully soon! Then we can play and test each class and playstyle to find the one we're after!
    Ibslihibovic and ObliviousPrime like this.
  15. ObliviousPrime

Like Tiktak I use beta to test all or at least most of the classes, so at launch I have decided which will be my main. Its the best solution since you are going to lose those characters anyway so you might as well check everything out.
  16. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

I am kind of the opposite I guess. When I beta test, I try to test all the different race/classes except the one I am interested in. I might make a character I am interested in and do a few things, but for the most part stay away from it. I don't want beta testing to become my play session and ruin things I will find out during release play.

That being said, I would prefer paths being locked. I like the dependency on other players as I like that dynamic. If I chose wrong, then I either live with it or make a new avatar.
    Foxxyness1 likes this.
  17. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

Same here Dyraele, during beta I mainly play around with stuff like crafting and save my class for release.
  18. PsiGun

PsiGun Cupcake

Create alts. It sounds at the very least you do personal RP with your character but to be honest if we got to select more paths you would have more "elitist" telling you a different combo is better for pvp or pve.
  19. Erho

Erho New Cupcake

The last we were told, was that they discussed "respeccing" paths. It was agreed that players would not be able to change their paths. Currently trying to find that source. Keep in mind, that source was from GC 2011.