1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

PC Upgrade Help!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ImmortalExile, Mar 19, 2014.

1. ImmortalExile

ImmortalExile Cupcake-About-Town

Hello, Everyone.
    So I am in the boat of having to get a new PC.
    I am really leaning towards a laptop, but the laptop I want is expensive: http://www.msimobile.com/level3_productpage.aspx?cid=6&id=454

So if I can manage to build a desktop cheaper (after acquiring all necessary peripherals, and a monitor) I'd like to do that.
    I was starting to build a PC and chose a Radeon R7 260x graphics card, and there were a lot of mixed feelings on the card... has anyone used it, or is knowledgeable about these things?

I'm not nearly smart enough or brave enough to attempt to build my own from the ground up, so I'd be relying on sites like ibuypower.com to assist.

I am specifically trying to build this PC to play WildStar on MAX, or at least very high settings. If I can stay under $1000 that would be best, and if anyone knows the best GPU's/CPU's to meet my goal, please let me know!

I appreciate your time and advice!
  2. Forni

Forni New Cupcake

you could easily build one for that price

Asus m5A97 r2.0 AM3+ motherboard - $90
    Asus GTX 760 graphics card - $260
    AMD 8350 FX 4Ghz processor - $169
    Corsair CX 600w powersupply +12v rail - $44
    1TB HD - $45 and up
    dvd/cd rom drive - $30 and up
    Mid tower case to full tower case - $25 and up
    8GB of dd3 ram - $80 bucks (alot of places have bundles where if you buy your motherboard/processor you get a huge discount on the ram) so it could be cheaper, but also look into bundles if you're buying your parts on line you can save a few bucks by doing it.

of course you'd need the monitor, keyboard, and mouse
    monitor could be $50 and up
    keyboard/mouse $14 and up
    speakers $11 and up

a few extra fans - $7 and up

the first 4 things on the list would enable you to run wildstar on max settings
    and thats way cheaper than $1000

all the others on the list are just preference of how big the monitor is if you want a special mouse/keyboard or just bare bones. You can of course substitute anything you want, but that was a quick build with about 5min worth of thought. Of course you'd need an operating system to put on your computer and theres many ways you can go about it by not spending a dime or up to about $200 bucks, but don't worry building a desktop isn't as hard as it seems if you've never done it before it'll take you about an hour to figure it if you look it up and research it, but after your first time expect about 10-15min. The longest part is installing the OS like windows :). and when it all comes together you'll be jumping up and down like a little school girl jittering with excitement (I know i did).
    ImmortalExile likes this.
  3. ImmortalExile

ImmortalExile Cupcake-About-Town

Thanks, Forni.
    I have been watching quite a few videos on hiw to's... Maybe i could do this.
  4. Forni

Forni New Cupcake

yeah no problem, though that laptop is nice, but i still favor desktops because they're alot cheaper and you get more bang for your buck if you can go without the whole mobility thing. They're also easier to update/upgrade. Remember smaller parts = less powerful and more expensive. I usually have a gaming desktop and a cheap laptop to do maybe stream a movie from laptop to tv or whatever, but also remember if you build a desktop you want a decent desk and a -very- comfortable computer chair :)
  5. Nunchi

Nunchi Cupcake

You can build a supercomputer for that price mayne
    Build one. It's really easy. You just screw a few things, jam the ram and gpu up in there, carefully place the processor, hook up a few wires then fire up that bad boy