1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Player Content Art ?

Discussion in 'WildStar Fan Creations' started by Maddog Charlie, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Maddog Charlie

Maddog Charlie Cupcake-About-Town

I searched like a Madmandog for this but didnt find anything.
    Pirates of the Burning Sea had a feature whereby player content could be generated and added to the game. Specifically Sail and flag designs in POTBS. Maybe the potential to do that exists for Wildstar.

Sure its approval and staff time heavy in so much anything going in MUST be approved but it does give the players an enormous sense of 'ownership' if their guild/town/armor has a logo design they have created. Thats a level of players 'investment' in the game thats greatly beneficial to long term subs (IMO).

Approval for a design could take weeks or even a couple of months but to allow this (with the obvious safeguards against copyright etc etc) would be tremendous. The requirements (Vectoring the image and pixel perfect images) are kind of tricky but Im wondering whether the quality of art in Wildstar (very excellent) would even permit these kind of designs as acceptable.

Maybe a Graphical artist person could jump in here and explain how it could or couldnt work ?
    Thanks
  2. Evion

Evion WildStar Haiku Winner 2012

I'm afraid something like this doesn't sound all that feasible due to the logistics. There's a lot of possibility for abuse, and to even attempt to keep the wait period low, they'd have to employ quite a sizable team.

What I was thinking about as an alternate possibility was being able to use screenshots taken in game as paintings for your house. Still not a perfect idea, but it'd be neat to have the ability to share memories like that.
    Tiktak likes this.
  3. Spiritunicorn

Spiritunicorn New Cupcake

I seam to recall Vanguard having a contest in beta to design fanart, with the winners art being shown in-world. I'm not certain if the Vanguard team ever got round to actually putting the art in-world though, but the idea is shiny.
  4. Maddog Charlie

Maddog Charlie Cupcake-About-Town

Youre right Evion it would take quite a team. I think POTBS used the community team as the initial filter, to reject until pixel perfect and to reject the obvious copyright issues, that reduced the actual workload for the company to some 25% of total submissions, but if Wildstar takes off like we all are expecting then that alone could mean hundreds of submissions a week. :(
    I think Spiritunicorns idea is more feasible with a controlled number of submissions in a limited period competition or during the Beta.
  5. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

I would totally love this idea, both for adding snapshots to my own walls, but think about guild kills, instead of adding a piedestal with the head of some ugly mutt, they can add a ingame snapshot of the team tea-bagging the mob. Epic.

Adding player made tabard design would be a nice feat. Or making contests and adding winning contributions to the standard customization choices.