1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Please don't put dungeon finder in Wildstar

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Ivar, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Ivar

Ivar New Cupcake

I have read and seen alot of good stuff about this game and it may be the first good mmo since vanilla wow if they don't ruin it with dungeon finder. Please don't do it!

Cheers :D

Mellkor and Alenaar like this.
  2. GoatSlayrr

GoatSlayrr Well-Known Cupcake

They already did. Guess it's time to close up shop. WS is done.

Blue Tunic Man likes this.
  3. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

It's in......although you need to find the dungeon first before you are able to use it I believe.

+ the over-exaggeration for the negative side of the dungeon finder is very strong in this thread....already! And that without any good reason as to why you don't want it in.

4. Winsyde

Winsyde New Cupcake

How is dungeon finder a bad thing?

5. Ivar

Ivar New Cupcake

Jinzouningen likes this.
  6. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

Extatica likes this.
  7. Alenaar

Alenaar Cupcake

Eventhough we still have to wait to see and most importantly experience the overall feeling of dungeons, I second Ivar's opinion at this moment.

Only scenario I can think of, when I would actually take neutral or possibly even positive stance towards dungeon finder is such, where dungeons are difficult, co-operation is necessary and they are fun even after wipe, two or three. All of this to have kicks, giggles and all the good stuff.

Have not read the article, but I would like to state another point.

Think about it as of sandwich vs some fancy shmancy dish.

Quickly done, quickly served, quickly finished - I will have another one whenever I want.
    VS
    Preparation takes longer time, is served with style, finished bite by bite - The experience can turn out to be much more filling and satisfying.

Oh ye...there is chat filled with LFM/G but I hardly care about that.

Not asking for DF to be removed, but it have never, in any game, gave me better fun and experiences then old classic WoW dungeons. I majority of cases DF runs felt like "way to get gear, cap w/e" not "way to get fun"

Jinzouningen likes this.
  8. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Because WoW began failing for a lot of people at the same time as they had LFD I think a lot of people are biased towards the implementation of LFD. The problem is that you can't say this for sure, for WoW it was a multitude of things, but people always have to point towards 1 or 2 because that's just the easiest way to do it :(
    Which is sad tbh.....

Unless someone gives me some real facts/numbers and/or good reasoning behind it, it's nothing more then the ''feeling'' of some peeps who are hurt by the fact that a game they played began to ''fail'' in their opinion.

For me personally it was the lack of repercussions that made the dungeoning so much easier and not the LFD.
    Remember Shattered Halls? It was an extremely long dungeon and noway anyone would want to either start all over again (they had nice respawns in there!!!!).
    You didn't gave up so easily and you communicated with your party in order to overcome the hurdle!

WoW's dungeons didn't had this aspect anymore in WotLK, easy dungeons with no or very few respawns.
    Once the dungeons get a bit harder and have repercussions if you won't make it or take too long trying, that's the moment people either have to communicate with the team again......OR......just use up a lot more time then normal to get those prized gear pieces!

Also the addition of extra marks (you earned them at a extremely high rate) didn't help at all! It made farming gear way more easy for you didn't even had to kill that last boss anymore! As long as you killed atleast 1 boss you got marks to buy gear that was sometimes WAY better then the gear that dropped from the dungeons.

Overall I think the overall changes made towards dungeons by Blizzard had more to do with the downgrading of the social aspect then LFD would ever have.

And don't forget the lack of the need for keys and.......and......and........and..........and

Well.....I can go on for a while but I think you get the general idea that there are WAY MORE things that contribute to the feeling that some people shove soly towards the LFD system.

gabers1 and Eliat_kuni like this.
  9. Livnthedream

Here is some food for thought:

10. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

This sentence alone just shows that you are one of those people that just shove everything towards the LFD system instead of taking a good look towards the evolution of dungeons in WoW.

If you would've taken a better look you'd noticed that WAY more things had changed that all work together of that ''new and bad feeling'' that you'd get.

Saying ''DF-runs'' alone is a sign of generalisation of the dungeons in WoW (or other games for that matter).

TL;DR (of all my posts)
    LOOK behond the LFD system, for there are way more aspects that have contributed towards the negative feeling people get from it. But people just made the LFD system the so called ''Black Sheep''.

It's a pitty....

11. mcwjimbo

mcwjimbo New Cupcake

No it doesn't

Just the opposite since a lack of dungeon finder contributes to people leaving

A good example is The Secret World which is over a year old and still doesn't have an in game dungeon finder and I dare you to say that game is retaining players

the lack of a dungeon finder in any modern MMO is the surest sign of a sucky DEV team. As mentioned by others its already in and won't be removed so get over it and just do the gen chat lfg to fulfill your desire to wait hours getting a team together

12. Ivar

Ivar New Cupcake

I agree. All of those points are valid and are a part of why wow sucks now. But I think the DF is one of the most noticeable factors in wow's downfall and if you read the link that I posted above you will see why I think that.

13. Rivele

Rivele Cupcake

better then sitting in towns and reading trade and waiting for lfg posts that usually excludes people who do not meet the groups standards.

people got pissed off about not being able to go and blizzard had to rectify this b/c at one point there was a really low amount of people in raids and dungeons.

yes you can come back at me with l2raid or get better noob or any of the other <REDACTED> that people throw out when they feel so superior to others.

there was alot of problems with how things were in the past, there is nothing wrong with df or rf.

14. Winsyde

Winsyde New Cupcake

I have no problems with LFD. Its easy, if you dont like it dont use it. People always refer to WoW for everything. I remember back in the days as a tank in EQ I would sit LFG for hours just watching chat... Not something I would ever do again.

Tarquil likes this.
  15. Ivar

Ivar New Cupcake

I agree that sucked. The best thing was when they made the LFG channel global. So you could see it and write on it wherever you were in the world. But I guess this is a lost case and dungeon finder will probably be the standard for every future mmo. Well I guess for those of us that don't like it we can just play on private servers.

16. Alenaar

Alenaar Cupcake

Is sure is, isn't it? I will say one thing.

I am not some overmind of MMO players, but what I said is my own thought AND I would not post it IF I had not thought it trough.

Heroic modes in WotLK and CATA were much better fun and that "mysterious untouchable statistically unprovable and numerically undepicatble" personal feeling if done with ordinary PUG then DF.

So...the dungeon stays same, way of getting people differs, enjoyement differs. My personal opinion.

In this time, years later, DF is common. I am not asking for it to be removed and I can hardly ask for "better" and more friendly people.

So I HOPE that Carbine will trough cleverly build combination of game difficulty, dungeon difficulty, rewards and penalties offer me (us) satisfaction of both groupfinding speed and desire to enjoy the social aspect of game alike.

17. Livnthedream

Or instead of just saying "I don't like it" you can attempt to figure out why you don't like it as you are attributing things to it that are not a reality. Why are you on a forum when your mind is already made up?

18. Bobdolewins

Bobdolewins New Cupcake

I personally don't mind DF IF (a big IF here) they make it were you have to actually still travel to the instance. Some of the best moments I have had in MMO's have been the actual walk/run/flight to the content then the actual content itself.

Who here doesn't love random open world PvP! The random battles you had before going into raids! The unique ways you and your friends find to get to a certain spot on the map. I remember two such ways that we(the alliance) had to use to get to Scarlet Monastery pre-burning crusade.

One way was fly to South Shore(you first had to run there and get the flight point, which meant getting to experience and explore all sorts of content from Menethil harbor to Arathi Highlands to finally South Shore) and then travel through Silverpine Forest the finally get to Tirisfal Glades and Scarlet Monastery. The trip might have been long for the new person doing it HOWEVER they got to see all sorts of content(stuff, mobs, people, backdrops, story, etc etc) that they normally would not have. Hell I remember seeing the Undercity the first time and being wowed by it! Or seeing any of the other landscapes I saw on the way there.

The second way was my personal favorite. First you had to travel from Duskwood to beautiful STV (gank valley or whatever you chose to call it at the time) and travel down to Booty Bay to get the flight point which led to all sorts of fun adventures and crazy <REDACTED> happening trying to get into BB. Once you had the flight point at Booty Bay you could fly in and run your way up to Grom'Gol Base Camp. You would then proceed to take off all your armory and valuables and store them in your bag and die right outside the Zeppelin Tower. We would then graveyard run and wait for the Zeppelin to arrive. Once the Zeppelin had arrived we respawned inside of it and then hitched our ride to Tirisfal Glades. Once we zoned in we jumped off the back of the Zeppelin into a lake right outside of Scarlet Monastery and BOOM, we had arrived.

All of this content you miss out on if you just put a Dungeon Finder into the game with portal capabilities. I wouldn't mind the portal maybe if you made the person go there at least five times or so just to experience it(make it an achievement or something along those lines) then allow them to portal in. I would rather it be a DF with no portal capabilities and it just groups people up. That would be ideal in my opinion. If you read all of this I am proud of you and maybe its time to go outside for a bit or rest your eyes or something.

TL : DR You are replacing hours of content and exploration with a User Interface/Menu Mini-Game if you implement Dungeon Finder with a portal.

Alenaar likes this.
  19. Livnthedream

The vast majority of people as shown by UO and Eve as amazing examples.

Not really no. How you fit that into "exploration" when its clearly marked on your map I have no idea.

20. Ivar

Ivar New Cupcake

I didn't know that dungeon finder was already implemented into the game yet that's why I wrote the post in the first place.

I'll try to write up some objectives why I don't like dungeon finder based on my experience playing with it in wow.

1. It teleported me to dungeons that I had never seen yet. ruined the experience of finding the dungeon.

2. The challenge of finding a group was ruined. You just pushed a button and automatically appeared in a dungeon or even a raid without any effort at all. The social aspect is ruined here you don't have to whisper people or put any effort into finding a group. When you have to speak to people to form a group it makes it more likely that you will speak to that person again and you may become in game friends.

3. It ruins the illusion that you are in a world. You can just sit around in Ironforge or Orgrimmar and push a button whenever your'e done with your first instance to repeat it again with players that you will never meet again and have never met before.

4. The people you play with because you are just randomly assigned to them without you having to say a word to them feel like they are npc's. You don't have to say anything to them and you will probably never meet them again. And they know they will never meet you again so they will just behave like <REDACTED>s and need on every item that drops. And it wont have any consequences and they know that. They just push a button one more time and a new dungeon pops.

If It was up to me I wouldn't want any dungeon or raid finders, but that's never going to happen, every future mmo is going to have one. So I could live with a dungeon finder that doesn't pull people from other servers into your group, doesn't teleport you to the dungeon and it should be sort of a platform where you can see who is looking for a certain instance. For example if you select from a tab who is looking for Uldaman. You will see a list of people that are looking for Uldaman but you would manually have to ask if they wanted to join, that way you would make your own group and could avoid ninja looters and what not.

Alenaar likes this.