1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

[Poll & Discussion] Haggle, Barter, Vendor...

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by MMOPapa, May 16, 2013.

?

What method(s) of bartering have you enjoyed in previous MMORPG titles?

1. Marketplace Networks in select locations with mail system integration (i.e. WoW's AH)

67.6%
  2. Marketplace Networks in select locations with additional roaming functions (i.e. GW2's Market)

37.8%
  3. Vendors integrated to Marketplace Networks suitable for housing (i.e. SWG's Vendors)

29.7%
  4. Vendors not integrated to Marketplace Networks suitable for housing (i.e. UO Merchants)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Assignable inventory accessible to other players while immobile (i.e. PWI's Player Shop)

8.1%
  6. Assignable inventory accessible to other players while somewhat mobile (i.e. RO's Pushcart*)

5.4%
  7. Assignable inventory accessible to other players while roaming (i.e. FFXI's Bazaar)

10.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. MMOPapa

MMOPapa Cupcake-About-Town

In the case of most discussions, the majority of people providing opinions have this distorted perspective that they, in fact, are the majority; regardless of how 'unique' their views are. That being said, I've decided to eliminate that possibility by attaching a poll to this thread in advance.

DISCUSSION: WHAT METHOD(S) OF PLAYER-BASED BARTERING HAVE YOU EXPERIENCED IN ANY PREVIOUS MMORPG TITLES' ECONOMIC SYSTEMS THAT YOU ENJOYED?

( Disclaimer: I may have left out a few poll options for MMORPG economic systems. )

Personally, I enjoyed four of the seven options that were posted:

1. I enjoyed World of Warcraft's Auction House because you could retrieve your item via any mailbox instead of having to go back to the Auction House every time.
    2. I favored Guild Wars 2's Market because you could buy or sell via interface options while roaming with a brief pause to your game-play.
    3. I liked Star Wars: Galaxies' vendors because people who searched for items via Bazaar Terminals would also see results from individually owned and placed housing vendors.
    4. I fancied Final Fantasy XI's Bazaar because you could advertise and sell your unwanted items while leveling from the comfort of your own inventory.
  2. Dualist

Dualist Cupcake-About-Town

I picked RO because I have fond memories of long nights peddling wares in Prontera. Seeing my cute little merchant grow into a mighty blacksmith was a truly rewarding experience. That being said, I don't think an open player bazaar would really work in todays ADD game scene, but it was nice while it lasted.
    MMOPapa likes this.
  3. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

I liked the first and the third.
    First one because it gives you a central hub for folks to flock to as compared to gw2 sell from anywhere ( very handy but not as social ).
    Third one because having a plug in that folks could install on their homes and have it accessible to the auction house would be a great feature. Id go one more and add a feature that if someone likes what someone puts up in their bazaar, they can find their house and put in requests to that persons stall for items.
    MMOPapa likes this.
  4. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

I would take the WoW/GW2 systems (GW2's was basically WoW's except with more clutter but accessible everywhere) and add in a component from EQ2's, perhaps with some integration for housing.
    MMOPapa likes this.
  5. MMOPapa

Trying to understand exactly what you're suggesting... like placing items in queue for purchase? Like if a person is selling ten amazing consumables and you place an order for twenty?
  6. Dualist

I just had this wonderful idea of opening up a house to specific players as a hidden black market. But this would require access to blackmarket=ish goods.
    MMOPapa likes this.
  7. MMOPapa

I was an Ogre (weird excuse) so I did not experience much of Everquest 2's economic system; would you be so informative as to elaborate on what components you mean? :)
  8. Xlugon Pyro

It's been awhile but I mentioned the fact that you could access the broker (EQ2's AH) through your house which was awesome. I mainly was referring to that.

Also I like the idea of commissioning goods. Think of it working like Kickstarter, where you submit money to someone to make something for you or to supply a good (think like 10 stacks of silk cloth), and if they agree and send you your product by the allotted time (if one is given), you'll get their gold for the product. If not, the buyer gets their money back or can cancel the deal at any time if it hasn't yet been filled, getting all of their money.
    MMOPapa likes this.
  9. MMOPapa

Sort of like in Guild War 2 where you could only access vendors who sold armor specific to your Order (Vigil, Durmand Priory, or Order of Whispers) if you were a part of that Order? That would definitely be unique to say the least but it might make selling things more difficult as you're only advertising to a certain percentage of the player-base instead of everyone. :)

I wish I could add that as one of the poll options... wish I knew about that one.

And that commissioning idea you mentioned; is it your own or also a factor from EQ2? Because that is very unique and I could see how that would help boost economy... you invest a minimal amount for raw materials, he/she who crafts gets the skill advancements, investor gains a profit... seems flawless.
  10. Dualist

Something like that, I have this idea that you'd basically have a faction of players who sold to the 1%. So in other words, they'd have to build up the community from scratch and hold regular auctions on someones property. Problem is I can't think of anyway to get meaningful items at a reasonable cost to make the black market viable.
    MMOPapa likes this.
  11. BonusStage

BonusStage Well-Known Cupcake

gw ah was a little too much imho.

even i managed to abuse it and get rich out of it.
    it was extremly easy to buy low and sell high.

i no longer play, so i assume more people are doing what i did these days, but still, i belive it should still work since most people are too lazy to do it.

still, so easy.
    MMOPapa likes this.
  12. MMOPapa

BonusStage just reminded me of another thing that set apart World of Warcraft's Auction House from Guild Wars 2's Market... instead of having 50 pages of individual listings ranging from one item to a full stack of item; you had this interface where you could see all the pricing listings by the item selected and type in the quantity you wished to purchase.

In that sense, I definitely preferred Guild Wars 2's economic interface over World of Warcraft's endless amount of pages.
    Xlugon Pyro likes this.
  13. MMOPapa

Only a PART of my question got asked during Jeremy Gaffney's interview with Garrett Fuller at MMORPG.com; not that I don't appreciate Garrett trying to relay all of our questions for us during all of that spam. A direct link to my question can be found here...

My actual question was:
  14. BonusStage

BonusStage Well-Known Cupcake

yeah thats how i got rich out of it.
    i would do this.
    let's say i would say to the AH, i want to buy 10 of X at Y Each.
    then i would resell at a profit.

you could not do this with all items on the market, as a few of them would result in a loss of money do to the AH tax, but some items would result in siguinifcant profit, as people would sell they below market price, since they would just sell to who ever is buying for more at that monet then waiting for someone to buy at a higher price.

how ever the interface on GW 2 was miles ahead of WoW's, even with Addons
    MMOPapa likes this.
  15. Xlugon Pyro

Basically. Instead of using the AH, you would go to someone's house/stall and request items directly from the provider instead of using the AH as a medium. Perhaps you have a favorite provider or a friend and what you need is either overpriced, not on the AH, or this person you know is the only one you know who can make what you want. It could even be expanded upon and the buyer can submit the mats for a crafted item in order to request a discounted price from the provider.

Yes, I liked this too. The best part about GW2's AH interface is that you could buy whatever quantity you wanted regardless of how the seller put them up. Not only that there was only one listing per price, so that a bunch of unstacked items like in WoW's AH would never happen. No more scrolling through pages to find the best deal. The best deal was right there in front of you and you could buy whatever you needed, no more, no less.
    MMOPapa likes this.
  16. MMOPapa

You skipped my question, "...that commissioning idea you mentioned; is it your own or also a factor from EQ2?"
  17. Xlugon Pyro

Ooops.

I got it from various comments people have made in this thread. I'm not sure if they had the same idea that I got, but I basically came up with it based on prior feedback.
    MMOPapa likes this.
  18. MMOPapa

So you came up with the idea... that's a pretty damn good idea, very unique thinking outside the box.
  19. Xlugon Pyro

THUS WHY I WANT TO BE A GAME DESIGNER!!!

AHHHHAAHAAAHHHAAAHHHAAAHHAAAAHHAAAAAHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!1!one/
    MMOPapa likes this.