1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Poll: Should you be able to play both factions on one server?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Gobby, Aug 13, 2013.

?

Should you be able to play both factions on one server?

1. Yes

49.5%
  2. No

50.5%
  1. cheewy

cheewy New Cupcake

I say Yes.
    The 1 thing I hated was when a good made would be playing on the same server, but the opposite faction. If they were on any other server I would be able to make another character and play with them.

My vote is all about increasing flexibility to play with friends.

2. effervescent

effervescent New Cupcake

I completely lack faction pride regardless.

Grim Fandango likes this.
  3. Grim Fandango

Grim Fandango Well-Known Cupcake

I'm the same way, but then again I dislike factions in general. It's hard to hate people if you don't know them, let alone are unable to talk to them. In fact, if history in past faction-based games proves one thing, it's that I'd rather kill players on my own faction 90% of the time.

4. ObliviousPrime

ObliviousPrime "That" Cupcake

I say yes. Only time I would say no is in an RvR game.

5. Aldamar

Aldamar New Cupcake

Yes when i'll finish all the combos on Dom side wanna exp every combo on Ex side...

6. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

Yeah, and those polls are horribly biased. If they weren't then the niche games that cater to them would be doing much much better. Df:UW has jack all for sub numbers, and only 30% of Eve's playerbase takes part, and everyone with half a brain knows that the only reason CU made its Kickstarter was because the devs pitched in at the end to get across the finish line. Its impossible to deny that there is an audience, but pretty clearly that audience is not particularly large.

Except gear gaps quickly put an end to that. Or, you start seeing people rolling around in zergs to get stuff done, or just flat refusing to do it. Really depends on how strong the incentive is.

Great, you just fixed it for peacocks, what about the other 80% of the playerbase?

7. Bifurcation

Bifurcation Cupcake

Give Tera a try (if you haven't already). Plenty of that going on there.

8. Grim Fandango

Grim Fandango Well-Known Cupcake

I'm not big into pedophilia, so I'll pass on Tera.

9. CriSPeH

CriSPeH Cupcake-About-Town

Certain servers will inevitably have one faction with a significantly higher population than the other so when you queue for PvP it will either take an annoying amount of time OR more likely they will make cross-server match-making.

I would rather have the option for players within my own server to switch over and PvP from the otherside than have to be matched with strangers from other servers that I will most likely never see or interact with again.

In the case of owPvP whichever faction has the higher PvP centric population will end up dominating the opposing side and there will be no remedy besides waiting and hoping other players migrate over.

I want PvP to be like when I played Day of Defeat/BF2 where I played on a clan server with and against people I liked, respected and had fun with.

Not like CoD where I rarely ever see the same person twice and every game is a shot in the dark of how enjoyable it will be.

I would go as far to say there should be a team switch option if you have a qualified Alt, with an incentive to join a losing or outnumbered team. That would be innovative and new!

10. Afrotech

Afrotech Cupcake-About-Town

I never said the owpvp audience was large I said people love it and some will even ignore your game if is doesn't exist. You could say polls about owpvp are horribly biased but, I've noticed over the years that many of them say the same thing and developers continue to add the feature to new games.

There are going to be gear gaps regardless in a gear centric progression game.

It all seems to come back to incentive which has been my point. Compared to other aspects in games there has been very little reason for players to be out in the world at endgame so it shouldn't be a surprise that people aren't engaging in owpvp like they used to.

The greatest incentive for owpvp for me, my guild and many others was world defense channel no shiny rewards required but, that was then since then changes have been made and that player base is mostly gone. My reference to cosmetic rewards was just an example but, I don't think you are being realistic if you think only 20% of todays players are peacocks.

11. Livnthedream

Players will skip the game for any number of absolutely stupid reasons. You cannot realistically design around all of them. Each and every decision made will cost you a customer. Forums are notorious for being echo chambers of epic quality. Which is easily provable for a number of reasons. This game is launching with world pvp. It will be there if you want to partake. Expecting it to cater to you, and literally a dozen other demographics is insane. As I said, if it was super important, then it would be catered to in some capacity, and its really not.

Its not just incentive. Much of it is player generated. Look at Eve and AA. There is plenty of reason to be in the world, and they do, but not without a gang. Gang warfare quickly degenerates into zergy garbage, which is exactly what many of you claim to not want. As you up the incentive, you open up the abuse more and more. Look at the bots in PS2, farming certs in downtime so you have a fat stack when you actually want to play.

That sure is some anecdotal evidence there. I can dig up the links if you really want (none of it is particularly accessible) but there is a clear reason why every cash shop that launches with just cosmetics quickly adopts xp boosts and power to one extent or another. Hats don't bring in anywhere near the amount of money that actual advantages do, even if its only perceived advantage and not a real one.

12. Bifurcation

Bifurcation Cupcake

That's too bad.
    It had exactly what you were describing in terms of pvp.
    Cheers tho.

13. Afrotech

The fact that it is there is catering to me and people like me and I have yet to play an MMO that offered xp rewards for owpvp so it's win win with potentially more to come.

I've never played Eve or PS so it's difficult for me to relate them but, player generated content is important to me sometimes it doesn't work the way I want it to which is the nature of the beast but, I support the mechanics that allow it to happen as I said I personally don't need any shiny incentive.

Ok but, I wasn't talking about a cash shop I hate micro transactions I'm talking about cosmetic rewards obtained through an in game token currency or rep. Cosmetic but still moddable with the CBC system.

14. Nearo

Nearo Cupcake

Plsyes. I'd like to stay on one server for playing with all friends, not all friends are gonna be the same side; neither am I. I like dominion more as a side, but I'm generally more in favor of Aurin anyways, but yeah I suppose I could convince all friends with dominion to use one server, and all with exile to do another in order to play together, but that's a pain for both of us, as if matching up servers isn't already a pain.
    Kinda hoping there's some kinda server guesting like GW2 anyways, since even though I'm not that fond of GW2 as a whole, I did like being able to at least play with friends on other server. Feel free to take most abilities away, so long as I could at least play with said friends on other server.
    I kinda wanna go house browsing between servers too, as far as public ones, so that'd be nice.
    Ah well though, whatever will be will be I suppose- hoping for both on one server though. Doesn't matter much for whatever "faction pride" is if you're gonna have another server for other side anyways.
    I would like to have a nice unified server though.

15. Livnthedream

Pretty sure cater does not mean what you think it means, particularly in this context. Besides, they have already stated that additional owpvp support would be included later. How true that is remains to be seen, but I highly doubt its going to be xp as its rife with abuse as I pointed out with the Ps2 example.

designing something one way, and the users doing something else entirely with it is referred to as an "edge case". From the time I spent in the AA beta its pretty clear that they did not expect people to start running around in 30+ player groups for protection. Generally speaking, I do not support such mechanics because the number of awesome things quickly get outweighed by the sheer number of abuses. Its why in general I do not like Sandboxes. Far too few laws.

Are you honestly saying that because the price is different what motivates players has drastically changed? Really?

16. Afrotech

Haha.. well maybe you should further explain to me what you think cater means but, sticking your head in the sand and refuting what Carbine has told us because, you don't agree with it is not a good argument and as I have pointed out Ps2 is not a good example because, I have never played it.

Well I like sandbox games so generally speaking we won't agree here but, I also like themeparks as well and I don't think they necessarily have to be separate entities.

No. The motivation is desired but, pay to win cash shops are not. In game currency or rep is not pay to win.

17. FairyTailisBack

FairyTailisBack Cupcake-About-Town

It has nothing to do with faction pride, it is about faction hate.

You play exiles on Server A.
    On server A the Dominion are a bunch of douchebags. They use hacks, and cheats all the time. There is also a imbalance on the server, and Carbine refuses to do anything. Furthermore, the dominion races have OP racial abilities! Meanwhile, the exiles is full of a bunch of little kids! After 3:30 you shouldn't even try to PvP, because you can't win.

You play Dominion on Server B.
    On server B the exiles are a bunch of douchebags. They use hacks, and cheats all the time. There is also a imbalance on the server, and Carbine refuses to do anything. Furthermore, the exiles races have OP racial abilities! Meanwhile, the Dominion is full of a bunch of little kids! After 3:30 you shouldn't even try to PvP, because you can't win.

18. Metasine

Metasine New Cupcake

Basically this.

19. Neverwhere

Neverwhere New Cupcake

I say Yes as quite often it's the server itself which makes a lot of difference to the enjoyment of the game. The community, the struggles, the competition. So I wouldn't want to lose that just because I wanted to see what another faction was like. (This assuming I'd have found that good server :) )

20. Karl Pedder

Karl Pedder Cupcake-About-Town

Honestly with the way PvP is primarily instanced and cross server I think any kind of faction restrictions on a specific server is an entirely outdated concept and for much the same reasoning so is any restriction on cross faction communication for that matter....