1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Populated Cities

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Thieron, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Yowser

Yowser Cupcake

Has there been any word on there even being cities in Wildstar ? It seems very unlikely since its meant to be newly discovered, you are not the first to land on Nexus but others have not been there long.

I would of expected to of heard about cities if there were any by now. I did hear suggestions somewhere that the Arkships could serve as home cities.

2. Paul_Cousins

Paul_Cousins Cupcake

It would a great idea if major cities were lightly guard and could allow pvp raids like in WoW that lead to killing the city boss. With the city defenses balanced to have settlers help with defense.

That would be truly epic battles where settlers set up defensive chock points. The wild card of the settlers could be a wonderful dynamic.

And if enemy settlers could also summon NPC soldiers, this could be a very grand battle for all those around.

For those that don't know, a properly planned city raid in WoW could be better than a dungeon raid due to the randomness how out many of that players of the other faction were in that city at the time.

This was especially true on a PVE server, where the attacking raid players were not sure if the local faction players was there to watch or fight.

I have played attacking, defending, and watching during a city raid. All three are fun. And the skeletons littering the cities for hours afterward was a testament to how epic those PVP raid battles.

I would love to have similar city PVP raids in Wildstar, complete with city bosses and achievements for kill the cities bosses.

Huffle Puff likes this.
  3. Miatog

Miatog Cupcake-About-Town

Should have been more clear, I meant the cities only exist for the adventurers. And yes you are right, if anything close to my idea causes lag or other issues for players then scrap it. The ability to play the game and enter the city is far more important.

This would be fun to watch, maybe as more Settlers run around some cities grow. Or just do it to a timeline, either way seeing the world grow would be fun.

We've heardly heard about the zones at all, I wouldn't put in stock in having not heard something yet. It's still early, lots for them to tell us still.

This sounds really awesome actually, but unlikely. Why unlikely? Because then you're giving settlers a HUGE role in world PVP that no other path has, and this causes a MASSIVE imbalance. PvP servers would have nearly full settler population because of this. Any server that had a lacking of settlers would be pretty pickings for people who wanted to do city raids just to mess with people.

4. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

Actually, there has been a somewhat indirect hint at a major city ( dominion side ) when they were discussing how the team is working hard and pushing to get in content now such as housing dungeons.
    So its safe to assume that there will be something on each side , for now at least.

5. Ethos

Ethos New Cupcake

I couldve sworn i read somewhere when they were talking about how PVE and PVP servers worked that there were safe zones where no PVP was allowed, and if you attacked an enemy city on a PVE realm you'd be flagged for PVP.

Although whether that means huge captial cities or just smaller hubs isnt clear.

6. Paul_Cousins

Paul_Cousins Cupcake

It would be easy to balance. Just control where the NPC guards created by the settlers can be placed.

7. Nitebreaker

Nitebreaker New Cupcake

Well I know in one of the developer's blogs they said that since Nexus is newly settled there aren't a lot of large cities, which means they need a way to make towns appealing. Settlers, for example, get path XP for building them up, so there is that section, but I am not sure how the other paths will be brought back, maybe the open world PVP, protecting your factions towns? But what then of the PVE servers? So I am not sure, very interesting question....

8. Miatog

That's still giving settlers too much of an edge. Or possibly too little. Either the defenses the Settles put up mean so little there's no point, or they're so good you're going to see a huge swing for them on PvP servers. It's not that easy to balance.

9. SniperCT

SniperCT Cupcake-About-Town

Lion's Arch is fantastic example. It's one of my favorite MMO cities.

As for some single-player examples, I found the Citadel in Mass Effect and some other places to feel pretty alive, when it came to stuff going on in the background. (another reason the deadness of the world in SWTOR is so disappointing)

Azhdaha and Rumze like this.
  10. Paul_Cousins

Paul_Cousins Cupcake

You are both right and wrong.

Nexus was just discovered by outsiders. But it was home to an advanced alien race that disappeared. If there are not city ruins in Wildstar I am going to be disappointed.

And it would make sense for both Exiles and Dominion to claim at least one city ruins each. Why build a city from scratch when a people can just build on top of a prebuilt city. We humans have been doing that since the beginning of recorded history.

Huffle Puff and SniperCT like this.
  11. Miatog

The few ruins I've heard about are being excavated, I actually think the ruins are the worst place for the factions to set up camp, they'd be more interested in ripping it apart for secrets.

Though, reading over some of the location lore, it sounds like people have been here for a few months before us, just enough time for a city to start showing up. Or at least a settlement to be getting sizable.

12. osufan

osufan New Cupcake

I think the real question is how do you keep players from choosing a single city and then having 5 other essentially dead cities that never have more than 6 people in it at a time? How do we keep Darnassus from being a thing in WildStar?

There needs to be a draw to anything that's not the capital city. The largest problem is that one city ends up being more convenient for max level content, so that's the city that becomes the most popular. The easiest solution to this is to make max level content de-centralized. Spread it out all over the continents. The effect is twofold. You don't have "dead" cities, and it eases strain on servers. You don't end up with crashes like what happened with Dalaran in WotLK, and your game looks better because less crowded cities will provide better framerate. I think the ultimate goal needs to have populous cities, but not dense cities. Nobody wants to walk around and not see anyone else, but the other side of the same coin is that nobody wants to not be able to move because all of the people around them are tanking their framerates.

The issue is that humans tend to try for efficiency over fun. Each city needs to be equally efficient so players can decide which one they deem the most fun, rather than suffering through a city they dislike because it's the one that is most efficient for their goals.

Xlugon Pyro likes this.
  13. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

Rough idea but perhaps there could be slight racial/factional (as in you allied w/ an in-game faction by increasing reputation with them) bonuses when you're in certain cities such as perhaps a 5% profit bonus from submitting/receiving sales in that city or maybe a slight speed boost while there. Nothing major but perhaps options that are unique to the player's race or in-game decisions that make certain cities better for business (which is what cities in MMOs usually are for) for certain races or specially aligned players. This would keep players more spread out since there's real incentive to do your business in another city.

However, I don't believe that there will be more than 2 cities at launch: one for each faction. We won't have to worry about empty cities but overencumbered cities might become a real issue depending on the game's technology and city planning.

osufan likes this.
  14. Leviathain

Leviathain New Cupcake

If Carbine does this correctly, which i am sure they will. You will be forced to go to cities for necessities for example
    -Training skills
    -Auction house
    -Venders
    -Social Endeavors
    -Quests
    Hopefully this small list (and there's a lot more reasons) will make you have to stop by a major city to do things.
    I'm sure you will find plenty of people showing off their mounts and i would be surprised to find it deserted as long as you have good reasons to be there. As long as Wildstar does not allow you to do everything you want from your house then major cities will be very popular especially on a high population server.

15. osufan

osufan New Cupcake

That's not something I had considered. If you even gave out a 10% vendor bonus on buying/selling, over a lifetime it could be worth thousands of gold. You'd end up with cities primarily populated with the race associated with it (personally, I think this is a good thing because it would make you feel out of place and provide a great sense that you really were somewhere foreign [especially if there were racial languages {bonus points if they're forced use by Carbine (quadruple points if there are language learning possibilities like in EQ)}]), and assuming equal race distribution is a solution.

There are workarounds... mule characters, etc. but most players wouldn't go out of their way quite that far.

16. Gomer

Gomer Cupcake

The major problem with the cities isn't their draws it's the housing system. Draws are insubstantial because you would be there for 5 minutes and then head out again rather than camping there. Despite all the flack WoW players got for just standing around in Stormwind or Ironforge (I was alliance) it really helped to add a sense of population. In MMOs you need to see other people interacting with the world, whether it is jumping around out of boredom or preparing yourself for raids at the bank or crafting at designated hubs throughout the city. With Housing people will be 'living' in instanced areas that we will never see unless an invitation is thrown our way. There is never a chance of stumbling on someone changing their furniture or crafting etc., there is never a chance of flying or walking around and discovering people interacting with the world. Rather, you will have people that you will never see thus subtracting from the population of the server. There will be no need to stand in cities, you will just need to stand in your house. Where no one can see you.

osufan likes this.
  17. Miatog

Well your first issue is easy. While there has been people on Nexus longer than the players, I doubt there will be more than one capital city per faction like there is in WoW. There's been talk of neutral areas and zones so there might be a new Dalaran but I hope not.

Good luck with that...even if you send them all over I bet you people will still find the one city they spend the most time in and gather there more than any of the others.

Even in the new org, there's tons of people who pick one section of the city to hang out in because it's easier to get to everything they need. The only effective way to combat this is to give every city the same layout which will make them all boring. Sure they might have different skins, or NPCs, but with the same layout they'll all feel so very much the same that it will make them boring.

18. osufan

osufan New Cupcake

I wasn't so much talking about city layout... I have no problem with cities being more efficient for things like crafting or trading, that's something that gives them character and is reflective of the race that inhabits it. I'm more concerned about world placement in regards to max level content. Stormwind became the city of choice because it was close to all of the raid instances in Vanilla WoW. Ironforge wasn't completely abandoned because of the tram and the auction house/banking area, but Darnassus was largely forgotten because it was completely out of the way and irrelevant. Avoiding that would be a step in the right direction.

19. Gomer

Gomer Cupcake

Despite Darnassus being abandoned it would not have made sense from a lore point of view for a major race not to have their own city.

20. Miatog

Ah, I misunderstood then. In which case I don't think there will really be an issue here. Like I and others have said, it's unlikely that there will be more than one faction city because this is a new planet. There won't be any need to choose between the Draken or Mechari city, the Auran or Human city, you'll have the the Dominion 'capital' and Exile 'capitol'. Though Main Nexus Base is a better term for it than Capitol.