1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Predicting 10 classes

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Sneakybuffalo, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Sneakybuffalo

Sneakybuffalo Cupcake-About-Town

That'd be cool
  2. Guide

Guide Well-Known Cupcake

True, but wouldn't it be essential depending on the game?
  3. Sneakybuffalo

Mitigation and healing. Effective health and all that jazz.
    16bitbandit likes this.
  4. Sneakybuffalo

Meh, maybe we don't. Think I misread that article you linked from earlier when he talks about trading health and threat for DPS.

So, lets speculate then. What are some things that Stamina would add other than health? And how would that add to thorouhput?
  5. Guide

Guide Well-Known Cupcake

Check this video out.

There is a blue gauge that depletes when the character starts running faster. It restores over time.

It also depletes when using certain skills, so it seems to effect more than just sprinting.
    arnold likes this.
  6. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

Stamina in Tera for example?
  7. arnold

arnold Cupcake-About-Town

Effective health is right. We won't know until we get numbers from playing the game, but in that game mitigation was superior to flat hp, which Carbine could easily do as well.
  8. Evion

Evion WildStar Haiku Winner 2012

I don't think the classes are going to be split so much based on stats, as others have been saying, but instead focussed around playstyle. Things like melee heavy-hitting versus melee-slash-and-dice, or ranged casting and ranged gunning. I know, that later one is a poor distinction, but there's a very different feel between shooting a gun and firing mind-lasers/fireballs! ;)

So I would look more for thematic areas that haven't been addressed yet, such as pet classes (oo, engineer/tinker there?) or things of that sort. So far the classes we've seen have been extremely distinct from each other, both graphically and in their feel in combat, and I think Carbine would continue that trend. I am definitely hoping for a reveal of more!
    Ender and starspun like this.
  9. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

And they've mentioned in videos that warriors will go tech for tanking and strength for DPS
  10. Sneakybuffalo

Stamina isn't a stat in Tera
  11. Sneakybuffalo

I'm thinking the magic/tech class would be a pet class.

As for your points, the stats themselves are thematic. Str for hard hitting melee, Dex for speed/crit, Magic for magic, Tech for neat toys, Wisdom for other stuff lol. And within each of those categories there are subspecializations. That can then be combined with eachother in neat ways leading to a ton of varied playstyles.

I don't know how Carbine's design process works. I don't know if they would start by saying hey, what would a Str/Magic class play like. Or instead say hey, I really want a pet class that also has neat toys and a ton of utility, what would that look like and how can that fit into the stat system. i would suspect there is a bit of both going on but I think the former is easier to generate as there is a baseline.
  12. Guide

Guide Well-Known Cupcake

Hmm. Pet skills definitely have enough merit to be their own class. Unless Carbine has a pet branch for Espers, like summoning psionic clones and creatures. I personally would like a trap/pet class, summoning turrets, bots, and placing mines for good ol' kiting gameplay.
    starspun likes this.
  13. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

Wiki Answers: What is stamina?
    Wikipedia: Stamina
    So stamina could be closer to its real world equivalent and instead of just meaning health it could be the ability so sustain health/powers over time.

Or said in another way, it is not about how big you are, but about how long you can keep it up, doing what you are doing.

In a game it could be a higher health/energy regeneration at the loss of efficient use of other stats, instead of 1 sta = 5 health type of thing.
  14. thrastorm7

thrastorm7 Cupcake-About-Town

Stamina can not be neglected as a stat in any world.... several armor pieces are picked exactly cause of stamina, (WoW)... most certainly is not THE primary stat, but should be counted in any theory crafting situation, or speculation

I will just remind you how warlocks were affected by stamina, when it was a straight forward dmg increase for them... in contrast to mages that relied mostly on their intellect for mana...
  15. Ingsoc

Ingsoc Cupcake-About-Town

If Stamina provides crit immunity then we (tanks) will be stacking it until the point we are crit immune. If at that point we have enough Effective Health to survive an encounter, then we'll stack our primary mitigation stat.

That's assuming they don't give tank specs a talent that provides inherent crit immunity.
  16. Nym

Nym Cupcake-About-Town

If they follow tradition, it will be a 2 stat system so if you were going to play as a warrior tank you would go for Tech, Stamina. Caster (Spell) DPS Wisdom/Magic, Melee DPS Dex Strength or Tech Strength.

Seems simple enough. Stat weights should be simple and easy to understand without crazy hidden numbers, if done correctly. Allowing most of the player base to gear correctly without having to do crazy outside math.
  17. JSanta88

JSanta88 New Cupcake

Couldn't the same be true in regards to either magic or wisdom? I would assume that one of them would be +spell power/+spell hit/+spell crit and other mana pool/mana regeneration or some combination of these. Alternatively, spell power/hit/crit may be independent stats/gear bonuses altogether and magic may just affect mana pool size and wisdom mana regeneration rate or vice versa.

I only played WoW up until the very beginning of WotLK so I am unaware of any changes Cata or MoP brought to WoW stats. However, I ran an endgame Resto Druid and I, like Priests, favored Int and Spirit the same way warriors favored Str and Stam. Paladins and Shamans didn't usually bother with Spirit at all.

Basically, if you're saying that Stam is health and doesn't really count, then (as and educated guess) one of either magic or wisdom would be mana pool size or mana regen rate and really wouldn't count either.
  18. Sneakybuffalo

Generally you would think that but the resource systems in Wildstar are different than most MMOs. For example, thus far there is one class with mana and it also has combo points.

Assuming every class has 2 primary stats determining ability thorough put, currently we have a good indicator of the other 4. Based off of what we've seen thus far I would classify the current classes as:

Warrior: Str/Tech
    Spellslinger: Dex/Magic
    Esper:Wisdom/Magic

Now Wisdom or Magic could potentially add to thorough-put as well as mana like Inteligence does in WoW I believe, but how does increasing stamina increase thorough-put? While possible, I consider it unlikely, not only from a conceptual perspective but also a balance one. Having a stat that increases survivability and damage just isn't a good idea.
    Guide likes this.
  19. JSanta88

JSanta88 New Cupcake

OK, that makes sense to me. Thank you for clarifying.

So in regards to your original posting then, there would be 10 different possible combinations omitting Stamina.

Here is my best guess as to what they could possibly be:

Str/Tech - Warrior

Str/Dex - Rogue/Stealth/Stalker?

Str/Magic - Paladin or Shaman (also agree with battle mage)

Str/Wis - Monk (Paladin or Shaman could also fill this role)

Tech/Dex - Mystery rifle class/sniper and traps type?

Tech/Magic - Mechromancer (machine based version of WoW's warlock) type?

Tech/Wis - Alchemist/Bombardier or disciple type?

Dex/Magic - Spellslinger

Dex/Wis - Beast master or Druid type?

Magic/Wis - Esper

In regards to the Paladin, I don't really see WS bringing in religion or at least divinity to Nexus. Paladins have there place in medieval-set games like EQ and WoW. However, I don't thinks gods or divine beings really have a place in this universe. I agree that there will be a heavy armor wearing class with a mana bar, but I doubt the name Paladin will be used so your theory of Battle Mage (with potential shamanistic powers- earth, air, fire, water) makes a lot of sense. I can see this class being another choice for the Granok. I don't think we will find the class names "Priest"or "Cleric" either. Monk, I feel, could still be a viable class name as monks do not necessarily have to be religious.

Monk would be Melee DPS/Dodge focused Tank/ Buffs and Auras

As to the Alchemist, I feel they would fill the role of being a healer, AOE damage, buffs/debuffs. I can see this class making splash potions or grenades which would be thrown to cause AOE damage and debuffs. Also crafting potions and tinctures that can be thrown at allies for healing and buffing.

The Disciple, another candidate for the tech/wis class, might be a student or researcher of the Eldan. Using ancient spells and technology found on Nexus. Another caster and potential healer

You brought up Druid as a possibility for Dexterity and Wisdom to which I agree that the stat choices make sense. In one of the game play videos I have seen I remember the narrator (Dev's name escapes me) saying that as you battled animals druids would come out and heal them. This says that Druids are definitely in the game, whether or not they are a playable class is yet to be determined. Druids are protectors of nature and the Aurin as a race have been introduced into that role with the trailer. I think many people are expecting a mob taming class and I feel it fits nicely in the Dex/Wis window as well. Perhaps rather than the shape shifting of WoW, Druids in WS will be a ranged caster/healer with animal companions.
    Aheadache likes this.
  20. Azzurri

Azzurri Podcaster

The more classes you have, the harder it is to balance them. I'm going to say 8 classes.