1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Press Partner Beta Weekend Key Giveaways

Discussion in 'WildStar News' started by Zap-Robo, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Onemanwolf

Onemanwolf New Cupcake

I played World of Warcraft for 7 years just aout everyday and worked full time even when I was a Drill Sergeant working crazy hours I played WOW it relaxed me, so people that work play the game plenty and guess what I have spent over 2k playing WOW and spent even more money on sites like curse and askmrobot and leveling guides so people with jobs are playing MMOs for many many hours in fact Gaming is a hug part of my life and and big part of who I am I just think like many people have stated in the discussion there is always to better way do to something if you have 40k in keys them like someone has suggested give out key at different times throughout the day why not so people that work different hours will have a chance at least to get a weekend key. I feel completely crushed to get home from work to see I missed out and never had a chance to get a key.
  2. Kanji

Kanji New Cupcake

I give up.
  3. USGKnight

USGKnight New Cupcake

Concerning Fairness:.
    It is illogical to say it is fair. Any system that is not entirely random is unfair or biased towards a given group or segment of the population. If they distributed the keys hourly over a set time then they would be creating bias in the distribution towards those that were unsuccessful earlier in the process, since they would be more practiced in their attempt. If they wanted to distribute the weekend keys fairly among people interested in their game (An unfair practice in itself since they would be excluding people not already interested in their game.), they would simply choose at random from the people already registered for beta keys that have not already received a key up to their test bed target size.

Why Fairness is not the issue:
    This is marketing. They are making their game more visible through sites that have a high profile in the gaming community. Buzz is being generated around their game, as well, such as this group talking about the fairness or unfairness of their chosen key distribution. Finally, it occurs to me. This also serves the purpose of generating interest for those players that will spend a good deal of time farming in-game money to trade to players with real world money in exchange for game play time, thus creating a larger starting market for that system. By generating more interest through marketing, a larger community is created, and more money will be harvested. A portion of that money will be reinvested in the game making it better for you and me.
  4. lyfzuxz

lyfzuxz New Cupcake

I agree I feel the same exact way. I mean why not divide the key give away to one set in the morning and one set in later evenings that way the demographics are slightly even. I also got home from work bummed that I missed my chance at a key, but o well ain't gonna quit trying.
  5. Cananh

Cananh Cupcake

Being in Australia I just take missing out with these giveaways for granted. Most start at 2 am and finish not long after.

Hopefully eventually they'll have an open beta.
  6. Cananh

Cananh Cupcake

7. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Guess what?
    I guess you are correct! It isn't fair....but the problem lies in the fact that Closed Beta will NEVER be fair for everyone!
    Weither it wasn't fair for:
    People from America (different timezones included)
    People from Europa (also different timezones)
    People from Australia
    People with day jobs
    People with night jobs
    People with irregular jobs

Will it ever be fair? I say no! Mayby they could've handle this last beta give away a bit better. But there have been plenty of opportunities for each of those people to get a key in the last year.

The fairness comes more when we enter the Open Beta.
    Not to stab you in the back or something, but you are not allowed to say when you got a key. This is called NDA breaking and you could lose the key as soon as you've gotten it.

So please be carefull with what you type ;)
  8. Gardavil

Gardavil Cupcake

Fine Extatica, you have made your point.

Now since it's blatantly obvious you have a full time beta key and have had for a good long while (I am not asking you to confirm it), how about you do the rest of us poor dumb ignorant and unlucky slobs a favor?

Stop rubbing our misfortune/bad choices in our faces and go Beta Test. We feel bad enough already about this without you and others full-timers lording over us and telling us how much fail we are.

I myself refused to be tricked into supporting and looking forward to a MMO that would never be... most MMOs fail before they ever launch, even if they do launch. I imagine many other Players waited to get involved with WildStar for same reasons... but lo and behold, thankfully, WildStar IS going to happen... So now I and others are here finally.

So if that makes me or anyone us a fail in your book, because we chose to be "late to the party", then I can personally make sure that I won't be around to ruin your party.
  9. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Why the insulting when I did not insult you? It's almost like you lay words in my mouth that i've never said.
    Do you happen to be a reporter? :D

My point was:
    It will never be fair for everyone!

Guess you've completely missed that one....:cautious: You aint failing, you are just unlucky. But open beta is when it will become a bit more ''fair''.
    I think you have to guess again.....I myself have never really participated in any Beta event. I've never subscribed for a beta key :( (so God is my witness!).
    So be my quest in explaining how I'd get a beta key this way?
  10. Cananh

Cananh Cupcake

You're wrong about that. You have to agree to a contract before you can be bound by it.

You have to 'win' a key. Then you have to apply it. Then the developer asks you to agree to their NDA.

So merely saying you've won a key can't legally qualify as breaking the NDA. You could theoretically win a key and then do nothing with it and therefore never even be asked to agree to the NDA.
    Extatica likes this.
  11. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Yup.

But the WSC has also said to enforce the NDA on the forum, so this time it would be against WSC policy. But you are true, theoretically it itsn't always NDA breaking.

But benig carefull with what you type is never a bad option :D
  12. Rivele

Rivele Cupcake

what? beta not fair?

beta is fair...to the bots that plagued the twitch streams b/c people thought it would be a great thing to make a main access of keys on twitch to boost the viewings on peoples streams.

they should have had more conventional give aways, that way it would be harder for botters and key sellers to obtain them.

but i guess forcing viewers to friends streams is more important.
  13. MadMac

MadMac The Cupcake is a Lie

I see a ton of people are making a business of selling the keys. That tells me that Carbine has lost control.

Now that Carbine has adapted this flinging of keys to the wind, how can they realistically tell who on the official registered lists don't have keys.?

I wonder if they are going to even continue giving keys to people on that list? (Myself included)

As far as not marketing keys to people with day jobs, I think this is an unwise move. They may be getting hype, but are they getting customers?

The losers without jobs that are getting the keys, will buy the game and than scream go FTP! Meanwhile the ones working will be paying subs.

I guess it will balance out after 30 days of live. And yes, I know some people will try to sell gold for CREDD for sub time, but how many are successful at it? (Short of market and in game exploits/botting)
  14. ImpactHound

ImpactHound Cupcake-About-Town

My complaint to add on this this post is that I'm seeing instances of individuals who have set up dozens of emails in advance, and brute force their way at these giveaways getting a ton of extra keys for the purposes of selling them. I know, I know, people will go to any lengths, shades of grey, etc, etc.

I think the promotions that have been run lately, such as godankey or ten ton were entirely too easy for people to abuse and hoard keys in general.There typically isn't the same sort of uproar with Blizzard betas in comparison imo, but that could be an entire multipage thread in itself looking at every instance of what they released when and how crazy or sane each beta actually was.

I guess I'm just generally dissatisfied with the trickle of access and situation overall at this point.
  15. Cosmic Owl

Cosmic Owl New Cupcake

http://www.curse.com/ said they would give me one, if I paid the yearly subscription. Nope! I'm not 100% keen on the business morality of that, but it is what it is.
  16. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

Ah i was wondering how much theywere gona charge.
    I Dug up my old account with them but it said i needed to be a subscriber in order to receive a key.
  17. Rivele

Rivele Cupcake

the question is is it just a weekend beta or is it a perma beta. to comply with a sub i would hope it is a full pass.
  18. Cosmic Owl

Cosmic Owl New Cupcake

<Redacted>

<Mod Tail>
    Please don't post links to websites, that are selling Wildstar Beta keys. We don't support or allow those websites to be posted here.
    - Voison
    </Mod Tail>
  19. Cosmic Owl

Cosmic Owl New Cupcake

<Redacted>

<Mod Tail>

Please don't post links to websites, that are selling Wildstar Beta keys. We don't support or allow those websites to be posted here.
    -Voison
    </Mod Tail>
  20. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

I believe they were only offering weekend keys?