1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Problem unique to healers

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Arkavien, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Arkavien

Arkavien Cupcake

Getting better gear is the name of the game, it is what drives most people to keep raiding content, and no one can deny the excitement of getting that new shiny. However, there is a problem that comes with gearing up as a healer that doesn't with any other role.

As a tank, the better my gear the more indestructible I feel. I can take on more enemies without fear of death and take less damage from raid bosses large attacks in some cases even being able to ignore mechanics that used to one shot me.

As a damage dealer, the better my gear the more destruction I bring. I can kill faster, AoE down packs of mobs I used to have to crowd control and burn through whole phases of boss encounters that used to take forever.

As a healer, the better my gear the less heals I have to cast, the less I have to pay attention to the game, ...and the more TV I can watch as I play.

In short: my tanks and damage dealers get more and more fun to play as I gear them, and my healers get more and more boring.

Does anyone have any ideas how to address this? Do you think it is even possible to fix? Or do you completely disagree and think there is nothing to address?

You could say "just start throwing out some DPS!" once you out gear things....but tanks and damage dealers don't have to completely switch roles once they gear up just to keep the game interesting.
    Leiloni and Tribe like this.
  2. Sero

Sero Cupcake

I assume you will be happy to have all that healing power in the veterans and raids.
  3. Vyril

Vyril Cupcake-About-Town

If you need less abilities to heal because of your gear is really good, you can start switching your other abilities to CC (utility) and Damage (assault).
  4. Infinight

Infinight New Cupcake

I would say there is nothing to worry about here.

I have healed since the beginning of WoW and normally with progression and gear comes harder fights! Also with new fights comes new goals to reach (such as enrage timers or some sort of loot incentive to move quickly) thus requiring more DPS toons than usual to complete it successfully. Both of these situations will add new dynamics to the healing role and I believe it is always very interesting (unless you are backtracking content quite a bit)

Basically the answer is as you are progressing, game devs normally try to give everyone in the group a new and unique challenge if done right. From my experience healers are the most fun role to play :p

Hope that helps!
    Sonntam likes this.
  5. Leiloni

Leiloni Cupcake-About-Town

I don't know about you, but I enjoy bigger heals and I don't ever get bored, but I do think you have a valid point. So on that topic, I do think, especially with a game that has so many telegraphs that can be avoided via skilled gameplay, the support aspect of a healer's role is that much more important. It's been an important part of our role in every MMO but in games like this it becomes even more so. I love my healing and that is our primary concern, but working in important and meangingful buffs, debuffs, as well as the myriad of lovely CC's they already have, I think would address this issue. I hate to sound like a broken record, but TERA designed their healer classes well in this regard. With more powerful gear and skilled teammates, those support skills allow us to use what would otherwise be downtime to make our group perform even better.

I pasted something on this topic on the Esper skill list Reddit thread earlier. Excuse the mini rant below, but I'm passionate about my healers. :inlove:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/WildStar/comments/1qt4dk/full_list_of_esper_abilities_ama_wildstar_stream/
    Satarn likes this.
  6. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

Yep, I'd say basically if you are bored while healing then you need to move to more challenging content, but I have mostly found that people who are bored healing really don't like healing to begin with, so play a role you actually enjoy.
  7. Tribe

Tribe Well-Known Cupcake

I have never mained a healer. You raise an interesting point. I believe Carbine confirmed the option to level down when doing content you would otherwise be outleveled for. Not that this would likely help at max level.

Would you prefer to hybrid some DPS into your heal loadout or to replace some healing abilities with buffs? The thought being you could weave buffs in your rotation, which would require more attention on your part.

Do you have any ideas that might solve the issue you raised?
  8. Yinello

Yinello Cupcake-About-Town

During WoW I solved it by becoming a CCer during fights. I was a Priest so I had things like shackle undead and mind control. So if I had a pretty good party, I'd mind control an add to let it fight along the others and break it when either other mobs were dead or the party was getting into trouble.

I'm using the WoW example because I'm not 100% sure of what CCs the healers get but I have no doubt they have something on the side besides dps and heals. :3
  9. Pmizzrym

Pmizzrym Cupcake-About-Town

Then don't play a healer?
  10. Inukeu

Inukeu Well-Known Cupcake

I used to dps if I out geared the content to the point of triviality while healing I considered it pro-active healing if the enemy cant attack or dies faster the less HP they can take from the group

and given you can build your LAS anyway you want it shoudnt be a problem to put a spammy dps ability that helps you build your main resource or somthing I would imagine anyway
  11. Grytswyrm

Grytswyrm Cupcake

The same goes for tanks and DPS, you just chose to ignore it. If a DPS gets very good gear, then on easy fights they can just auto attack and spam a button, and the boss will still die. If a tank gets very good gear, then on easy fights a tank doesn't have to focus on evading telegraphs and using cooldowns properly. If a Healer gets really good gear, they don't have to focus as much on healing everyone and can probably keep people up with just hots and aoe heals.
    Rysta and teh_ninjaneer like this.
  12. Cogburn

Cogburn Cupcake-About-Town

Put some level 1 starter gear on. That'll make your raid healing pretty challenging.
  13. Jeuraud

Jeuraud Cupcake-About-Town

I’m curious, what game are you talking about here. I have to assume that you did not watch the Esper livestream, because in W* you’re going to be doing more than healing. Even if you do not add DPS to your LAS, you’re going to be moving (to stay alive), and targeting (for most efficient healing), and CCing (to break interrupt armor).

Even if you had your Support maxed out your still not going to be able to go watch TV while playing W*.
  14. Yule

Yule Cupcake

How is it more fun for tanks to ignore mechanics then it is for healers to pay less attention?

And the answer is; drop healers.
  15. CptElendi

CptElendi Cupcake-About-Town

Well that why they created achivement for raiding, they are normaly 10 time harder to do then the normal boss fight mecanic and you normaly do them when you out gear the content. So you still have a challenge.
  16. Mierelle

Mierelle Cupcake-About-Town

I remember this "outgearing" to be more of a problem for tanks. If the tank get outgearing the encounter too much they won't take any damage, which in turn doesn't generate any resources which gives you problem to build threat, specially id the DPS starts hitting licke trucks.

Though this usually wasn't a problem until you helped out on lower content, which WildStar will have the mentoring system to prevent.
  17. Arkavien

Arkavien Cupcake

I very much enjoy healers. It is all I ever play in MMOs (sometimes tanks) and it is definitely the role I enjoy most.

Thanks for the constructive and useful reply

I should have clarified one thing though. I was more specifically talking about older content. For example doing heroic dungeons in WoW when you are raid geared. Tanks can pull half the dungeon at a time (fun) while damage dealers blow it all up with huge nukes (fun) while I chase them all and occasionally put a HoT on the tank while watching TV. (Fun if there is a good show on lol)

Hopefully with telegraphs and the ability to swap out some abilities for CC or fun buff type things this won't be the case in Wildstar. I just wondered what some other healers thoughts were.

Also @Leiloni, I agree completely about your post you quoted
  18. silvershadez

silvershadez Cupcake

Alot of healers have enough problems aquiring gear to even get invited/accepted to certain raids/content. Those are some real minor issues.

You could easily just take less healers for your raid and more dmg (or go hybrid spec), to make your runs even faster.

I hope wildstar combat will be challenging enough to keep you busy. Judging from the last livestream and considering this was just a low level dungeon even the devs (okey, that doesn't neccesarily has to say anything) had some problems with I don't think this will be a problem at all.
  19. Leiloni

Leiloni Cupcake-About-Town

Thanks, you might be the only one. :(
  20. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

I also mostly play a healer class, but in looking at the quoted post that you say you agree with, it's a bit confusing, since I have not played Tera.

"Right now it seems there are no long term effects and only secondary, very short short-term effects"

you agree with this but in your op you say that you can feel bored at times playing a healer....if you look at the quoted post, she offers a solution of 30 sec to 1 min effects....isn't that a "cast and forget", which in turn would contribute to just going back to heal spam and being bored?
    Also the quote mentions "meaningful" support spells, but if we already have CC and buffs/debuffs that last 1 min....what are the examples of these other spells that you want added to those already mentioned, what do they do?
    Sonntam likes this.