1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

PS4 or Xbox 3

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by Azzurri, May 6, 2013.

?

PS4 or Xbox 3

1. PS4

87 vote(s)
    89.7%
  2. Xbox 3

10 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. Freelancer

Freelancer Cupcake-About-Town

[​IMG]
    Phyllo likes this.
  2. Freelancer

Freelancer Cupcake-About-Town

[​IMG]
    Dean Fry, Phyllo and Ayora like this.
  3. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

Hmm , never mind . It seems like ps4 will continue the theme for allowing games to be bought through psn on release date and downloaded.
    Very pleased with that actually. No need to rush out and pre order games unless I want the disc.
    ( may still pre order infamous ).
  4. Phoenix

Phoenix Cupcake

I'm one of those people who still prefer disks. My ISP is kinda crappy, so I max out at just over 600 kbps, downloading blue-ray disks on it is not fun. *Cough* Uncharted 3 - 50GB *Cough*

Not to mention, I buy too many PSN games, so I'd rather save the space for them.
  5. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

50gb? Oh god, I better make sure I preorder stuff then.
  6. plic70

plic70 Cupcake-About-Town

My response sir, (wall of text inc)

Sony:
    -$400
    -PS4 controller has been reworked, offers more pistol triggers for the R2/L2 buttons, "share" button directly on controller, longer handles(for lack of a better term)
    -Why add the eye if you aren't going to use it?
    -Indie Devs can self publish games and update them
    -PSN costs $50/year(10<XBL), I will agree current PSN isn't good, but with the changes they've mentioned(cross game voice chat, increased servers...etc) I have hope
    -Listened to devs and gamers about the PS3, made to correct many of the issues
    -Doesn't require constant internet connection
    -PS+ gives new free game every month, is required for online multiplayer
    -No restrictions on used games at all

Microsoft:
    -$500
    -Xbone controller has supposedly had 45 points improved on it, Msoft never went into detail on them.
    -Will NOT function without kinect, a hardly used feature except for families, always watching/listening for data collection reasons(face gestures, heart rates etc)
    -Kinect is dramatically better programmed for the second iteration, can turn on Xbone with voice "Xbox on!"
    -Requires to always be connected to internet/connect with servers every 24 hour period, no reasoning as to why
    -Indie Devs must have a publisher behind them to put games on XBL
    -XBL Gold subs currently get 2 free "games" until launch, started with AC2 and Halo 3!? Seriously, majority of people already have these
    -XBL to give access to the same features as it currently does
    -Share feature requires to launch new app entirely interface seemed clunky, uses twitch.tv for live streaming
    -Games can only be lent once, to any friend on your friend list for >= 30 days
    -Requires fee for playing used games

Controller feel is subjective, but I do agree the Xbox 360 controller is more comfortable, but with Sony's changes that could change as well. To be honest, the only thing that excited me about the Xbone was KI, loved rolling kids in that game when I was a wee lad, and Halo 5, which doesn't come out till next year, so hopefully it will be cheaper by then. Also, Microsoft shot itself in the foot with gamers hard
    "If you don't have constant internet connection, we have a console for that. It's called Xbox 360." Just writing off people who don't have constant high speed internet, don't want to have their console hooked up, especially with it always watching/recording you, and sounding like a total turd.

If we go by the Press Conferences alone, Sony won by sheer screen size, :D, it was also great to see Tretton get on stage a little more than part way through and give the big F-You to Msoft. I will be getting PS4 now, Xbone with Halo 5, but with Wildstar launching this holiday too, it will be an expensive Xmas.
  7. Tiberius

Tiberius Cupcake-About-Town

Phyllo and plic70 like this.
  8. Dex Charisma

Dex Charisma Cupcake

Interesting read. I recommend it to anyone interested in this console war.

At the same time, we have to assume it was written by a legitimate MS employee, and while he may attempt to remain objective, he is still bound to have strong pro-MS biases.

For example, Microsoft may be pushing digital distribution to keep game costs down, but does that necessarily translate into savings for the consumer? If Microsoft succeeds in bringing game costs down to $30 by cutting the Gamestop, Amazon, Best Buy middlemen out of the picture, what's to stop them from maintaining a $59.99 price point and sucking up all the extra profit for themselves?

Call me cynical, but I don't remember a time, ever, where Microsoft concerned itself with keeping prices down for the consumer. And if anyone thinks they've changed that habit, I would encourage them to look at their new MS Office pricing packages. MS has rarely been either a positive or benevolent force for change in any industry it's participated in.

MS also dismisses the almost primal desire for physical ownership. I understand their vision, and sometimes people need to be pushed unwilling into next tech age before they will accept it, but it feels arrogant and premature. Last time I checked, the only U.S. locale with fiber-into-the-home was St. Louis. If I want to play a game at a friend's house, carrying along my disc is pretty damn convenient. Just how fast do they think we can download a 40GB game on a 30Mb/s cable link, assuming my pal has decent cable? The infrastructure isn't there, and people like tangible goods they can dispose with as they will.

I do think the Xbox One has been treated unfairly, and I think time will prove it to be a decent gaming platform in spite of its designers' original intent, but digital distribution doesn't make it a great console/media device/whatever. Good games do.

And plenty of people STILL hate Steam.
    plic70 likes this.
  9. plic70

A most excellent find sir. Appreciate it.

The problem, Steam isn't a console nor is it available on consoles, it is for computers. Steam is for an entirely different market. From a gamer standpoint saying the cloud based and DRM, is for my benefit because it prevents disc swapping, scratching, sharing games with my friends, and trading in....Seriously, Msoft get your <REDACTED> together, the majority of gamers, those of us who are classified by you and the rest of the industry as "core" gamers, tend to take care of our discs. Bringing the game over to my friends house to play splitscreen for a night of drinking and playing co-op God mode difficulty and getting wrecked, or just playing all around with friends is remarkably fun and shouldn't require me to have to sign in to do. Trade ins help gamers purchase new games and helps those retailers that you are dependent on for selling your product.

Seriously shooting yourself in the foot here. Again, you're falling back on the same argument, "my disc is missing"... Yes, Gamestop gives bad trade in on games, but the majority of the games that would give that 5$ trade in are 1-2 years old. You are trying to take money away from Gamestop, a business that is one of the largest distributor of games nationwide, has a phenomenal reach with its customers, one of the few "objective" printed magazines, Gameinformer, has one of the highest selling figures for your consoles, games, and accessories and you want to take money away from them at every part of the sales process? Right now I have Morgan Freeman in my head saying "Good Luck"

Then the guy goes on to rip on all of the rest of the retail market, well if you don't think you need them, then only sell the Xbone in Msoft stores or on Msoft online, see how much you sell. Pushing that you want the Xbone to be an entertainment system more than a gaming system, that requires constant internet in order to do it is rather idiotic. A lot of ISP's are capping their internet usage by customers, having to stream all of my content, download 40+ GB games, and playing online will utterly eat that amount that you are capped at.
  10. plic70

Yet again pushing the tv aspect of the console, not the gaming. Second screen experience, you mean I HAVE to buy a $500+ tablet to get everything I want out of the Xbone. Wow, just....wow. More exclusives, eh, there were more exclusives that were shown at the press conference but many of them were not launch titles, Sony focused on launch/launch window titles and said they had 20 first party games launching year one. The Kinect 2, Minority Report gestures, really? I have a kinect for my current 360 and the only thing I use it for is to voice control my netflix if I have work to do around the house while watching. The games are all designed for children or as get fit games. Hell, Msoft didn't even crack everything they could do with the Kinect, it was a lot of computer students and programmers that broke the coding and made it work for PCs and did some amazing stuff with it. By saying that you could turn it OFF off through the settings, kills it as well, it is a separate setting!? He even has almost the same quote that was released before, "if you don't have good internet go buy a 360". Fee for playing used games!? Son, you do not pay attention to your own company it seems, a week or 2 before E3 Microsoft released that it would cost gamer B money to play a game that gamer A lent him and gamer B would need to pay an extra fee to be able to download a disc onto his Xbone that he bought at Gamestop, which also kills companies that allow you to rent games, Gamefly, Family Video, Redbox. Then, it changed during E3 to you can lend a game to your friend, but gamer B would need to be on gamer A's friend list for >= 30 days and the game could only be lent ONCE. That last part of this one is what shows me that this anon has no idea what is going on.

Cloud capabilities are nice, but trying to get them all under one roof means if you have a problem everything is down. Smartglass + IE, why does it matter if the console can figure out if I'm leaning!? Nothing there to prove to me why it is actually important to mention, might be a cool piece of tech but so far there is no practical use that was said. If we care about anything other than "pure games"... I'm sorry the Xbone and PS4 are what? GAMING CONSOLES, so they should matter about games. This guy is preaching that the Xbone is a gaming-media system, with more emphasis on the media part. It is the same argument/definition behind Student-Athlete, student is first and should be focused on more. Posted on /b/ where nothing can be taken as true...

You'll notice I edited parts of the article, edits were for bad words and to counter the wall of texts that I wrote. Personally, this guy came off like that snobby d-bag that we all know, "dude look at my flashy ed hardy stuff! /flex". Killing the Xbone for me.
  11. plic70

12. plic70

13. Tiberius

Tiberius Cupcake-About-Town

I think it's a pretty good thing, as do we all. Better competition means better products on both sides!

One confused point, though. The #1 purpose behind their always-on is to allow for used-license trade ins to retailers.

If the cloud no longer knows my library is current a retailer can't trust selling the game, as either I could still have the license (effectly pirating the game) or the new buyer wouldn't be able to play (license already consumed).

To avoid that they'd have to remove game licenses, which would destroy the ability to have the Xbone Steam-Like Library, their primary reason for doing all this <REDACTED> in the first place.

They could still pull it off with Day-1-Digital sales, but that'd be no change from today's 360.
  14. Draogon

Draogon Cupcake-About-Town

http://m.guardian.co.uk/technology/2013/jun/19/xbox-one-drm-second-hand-restrictions-abandoned

Microsoft has made a dramatic U-turn over its decision to impose restrictions on pre-owned titles on its new Xbox One console.

The company had said it would restrict the free trade of pre-owned games, and that an internet connection was required to play all titles.

But following gamers' anger, Microsoft said it would drop the policies.

Microsoft interactive president Don Mattrick said the company had "heard loud and clear" from its customers.

"You told us how much you loved the flexibility you have today with games delivered on disc," Mr Mattrick said in a statement posted online.

"The ability to lend, share, and resell these games at your discretion is of incredible importance to you. Also important to you is the freedom to play offline, for any length of time, anywhere in the world."

The statement, which was for some time inaccessible due to heavy traffic, went on to backtrack fully on the controversial aspects of their DRM - digital rights management - plans:

"An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games - after a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24-hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.
    "Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today - there will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360."
    Trade-off

The rules apply to games bought as physical discs only, and do not affect games downloaded via the online Xbox store.

"While we believe that the majority of people will play games online and access the cloud for both games and entertainment, we will give consumers the choice of both physical and digital content," Mr Mattrick said.

"We have listened and we have heard loud and clear from your feedback that you want the best of both worlds."

However, there will be something of a trade-off for gamers.

Microsoft had planned to allow customers to "trade" downloaded games online in exchange for money off new titles. The change of stance means that gamers will no longer be able to do this - something gamers may regret in the future, one analyst suggested.

"It could be a case of 'you asked for too much, and you got what you asked for'," said Brian Blau from Gartner.

"But I think it's a good thing if Microsoft are listening to their potential customers and responding to them. The fact they have this technology means they can always bring it back at a future point in time."

Questions over the handling of pre-owned games was an unexpected talking point at last week's E3 conference - the largest games industry event in the calendar.

Sony took the opportunity during its press conference to make a direct attack on Microsoft's policy.

"PS4 will not impose any new restrictions on your use of PS4 game discs," said Jack Tretton, boss of Sony Computer Entertainment America, drawing cheers from some attendees.

For Microsoft, it means a second high-profile U-turn in short succession. Last month, it told Windows 8 users that it would be bringing back the iconic "Start" button to its operating system, having previously dropped it from its redesign."

Good? Bad?

Was kinda looking forward to being able to just turn on my X1 and be like "ohh that's out today *download*" and trade in like a normal game if I wanted to later on.

Also would've used sharing.

Really never understood the whole drama around the 24hr check-in. If you can't afford Internet then Surely you can't afford a £300 + console and £40 games on top of that, and if you can afford Internet then get something decent that doesn't dropout. /shrug
  15. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

On the one hand , its great that consumers are being listened to. Its awesome for folks who love xbox and had issues with always online/region locking etc.

On the other hand, I wonder about the cloud computing they talked about and where that will play in. I don't know what to really think.

Ive already ordered the ps4 and fully intended to get the Xbox 1 in a year or two. My plan will stay the same and I will see how Microsoft grows from here. I find the change in mindset understandable ( terrible pr and terrible handling of the earlier situation ) but Im cautious how this will effect the other features and not sure where this will lead. I hope this trend continues to lead innovation and competition rather then stagnation.
  16. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

copy pasting my reply from the other thread :
    On the one hand , its great that consumers are being listened to. Its awesome for folks who love xbox and had issues with always online/region locking etc.

On the other hand, I wonder about the cloud computing they talked about and where that will play in. I don't know what to really think.

Ive already ordered the ps4 and fully intended to get the Xbox 1 in a year or two. My plan will stay the same and I will see how Microsoft grows from here. I find the change in mindset understandable ( terrible pr and terrible handling of the earlier situation ) but Im cautious how this will effect the other features and not sure where this will lead. I hope this trend continues to lead innovation and competition rather then stagnation but time will tell.
  17. crowsong

crowsong Cupcake-About-Town

That was sooner then I had expected.
  18. NerdEsq

NerdEsq Cupcake

Really?...You do realize not everyone has that option, right? I currently live in an apartment complex where my only internet options are going with an incredibly terrible company called Direcpath with incredibly unstable internet that maxes at 6mbps or AT&T at 768kbps. Yes. kbps. Granted, it's still a connection and AT&T would probably be pretty stable, but what the hell am I going to do with a 768kbps connection?
    Zerdav and plic70 like this.
  19. plic70

Got to disagree with you on the first bit Rumze. I wouldn't call what Microsoft did as listening to consumers I would call it caving, back pedaling, damage control or anything of the like. I do agree though that it will totally mess up the rest of their design scheme. The cloud gaming aspect will be incredibly difficult, if not impossible. I would say straight impossible, but I do not know enough about the technical aspects of it all to give a definite. In the end I will get both, but the Xbone will be bought when Halo 5 is released, since that is the only game I'm yearning for on it.
  20. plic70

Well son, let me direct you to their comment from E3

Microsoft has a system for you, it's called Xbox 360...

Don't take my tone the wrong way, I totally agree with you.