1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

PvP In Wildstar...

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by thrastorm7, Feb 2, 2013.

1. thrastorm7

thrastorm7 Cupcake-About-Town

I know that not many info regarding PvP has been announced, but this shouldn't be stopping us from discussing our ideas about it!!

Usually PvP is divided into 2 big categories:

Structured: Battlegrounds, Arenas

Open World: Self Explanatory

Most of the games got right the structured part, Rated Battlegrounds/Warzones And Arenas, what i would like to see in Wildstar is to make structured PvP even more organized, For example would be great to be able to create a PvP team for lets say Battlegrounds/Warzones, give it a name and so on. Additionally a good addition would be a statistics/ranking board in the main cities, where information about the teams will be provided.

P.s - would be nice though not to turn the above to an endless grinfest... I would strive more to quality rather than quantity.

Regarding Open World PvP, i would say that most of the games failed to do it right, one of the main problems here is ppl's machines, given that open world pvp is usually associated with large scale battles, so ppl's Pc's can't handle that and as a result they avoid to participate.

What would you guys think would be the solution to make World PvP "active" again!!

2. Wreck

Wreck Cupcake-About-Town

Death matches never get old in my opinion, always fun. But I personally would avoid cap the flag if I get to choose the PvP mode. Maybe we'll have some cool PvP structures in WildStar, who knows.

3. Elthic

Elthic Cupcake-About-Town

To me for world pvp to become truly active again, battleground/arenas/instanced pvp just can't exist.

However, a lot of people really enjoy battlegrounds so I don't think developers will stop making them, because they are easy to add reward features for them, while for world pvp rewards seem to be more unclear on what should be rewarded. For example, should killing players while questing generate points so that gear or items can acquired.

So in order for both to exist world pvp needs to have structures that can be captured, and defended in the open world. These structures should generate buffs of some sort if they are held under control. However, if gear is the number 1 thing in this game to be acquired, perhaps add in a system that allows the players/faction/guild who control this structure points that could be spent to acquire gear.

All I am really saying is for world pvp to become active it has to be rewarded with in game systems that reward players the ability to advance their characters.

Zap-Robo likes this.
  4. Venion

Venion New Cupcake

I'm a huge fan of structured PvP. Battlegrounds have always been a fun competitive activity for me to participate in and depending on the game I'd either use them occasionally (Final Fantasy XI's Ballista) or live in them at the cost of all else (Never made it past the 30s in World of Warcraft due to living in Battlegrounds.)

I love Open World PvP, or at least, I love it on paper, but after playing PvP servers on multiple dual-faction MMOs, I don't think it works with how most MMOs have implemented it. I've experienced the excitement of encountering a member of the opposing faction around my level, but then I've experienced the annoyance of being camped or having completely one sided encounters in higher level zones because one faction has significantly more people than the other. Looking back, the amount of times I've seen enemies around my level could be counted on two hands.

I'm sure Open World PvP can work, but I've not played an MMO that has gotten in right. There always seems to be an imbalance in player numbers or player level given the nature of it being Open World.

SiegaPlays likes this.
  5. ObliviousPrime

ObliviousPrime "That" Cupcake

I see World PVP as a growing preference in some MMO pvp players (examples Planetside 2 , GW2, and upcoming TESO and of course DAOC). I include myself in that group. I have played planetside 2 for a bit,but mostly I play GW2.

In GW2 I am in a WvW guild. The majority of my time I spend in WvW. The WvW community in that game are passionate about it and sacrifice sleep for it too.

The EU reset time each week is 12 AM (00:00) GMT and a lot of people like my self stay up to the early hours of the morning to get a good start to the match up.

what can make it better?

*encourage group play more than zerg balls - the higher tiers are just a bunch of 20+ people roaming as a zerg. I don't like zerg play so we stick with a group or around 10 and sometimes 15 if we get some friends along.
    Team work is hard because we are limited to 5 man party size with a guild raid group we can organize better so even if we have more that 20 we can be able to split up see where all of us are on the map, mark multiple way points for each group etc..
    its more strategic play than just lets all bunch up, buff up and steamroll.

*make the world pvp generate more income than it takes form you - The amount of money you spend in WvW for keep / tower upgrades and to buy siege is way more than the income and rewards you get there.
    A commander was saying about how he started the week with 26 gold and by near the end he had around 2 left. Most of the money spent buying siege blueprints.

it discourages some of the people from buying siege or upgrades and the dedicated members resort to farming and dungeon runs to supplement thier income.

I for one don't think that is good since you should be able to play the game the way you want, so if you just want to stick to pvp and ignore the PVE it would be ok and the game should not force you to play something you don't want to.

3 factions makes it balanced but I am interested to see a persistent World pvp with 2 factions and what carbine will make of it.

6. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

While it never took off in a massive way, Warhammer Online's PvP "lakes" and keep battles were some of the most fun I've had in MMO PvP. I'd definitely recommend that Carbine look to that style of implementation for any open world PvP.

Kurik Lein and JarNod like this.
  7. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

Stole my thunder with this comment. I was just going to say that. While WAR had a few problems, getting the open world PvP lakes were fantastic. It's really too bad that it was released in WoW's heyday

8. ObliviousPrime

The most challenging fights I have had in WvW were against EU WAR guilds which were mostly on the piken square server. The game must have been fun and implemented well if it made these organized guild groups.

9. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

Some combination of Alterac Valley, WvW, WAR's RvR, and utilizing the paths would make me happy. :)

WildZhen and ObliviousPrime like this.
  10. Jkaplan

Jkaplan Cupcake

I personally prefer instanced and competitive PvP because I'm a competitive player in general. The enjoyment I get out of PvP is being in an even fight with other players and being able to out-play them. The ability to continuously improve your play and learn more about the game is really fun for me. That said I don't mind if open world pvp is a big part of the game as long as instanced is as well. I think both can and should exist in games but I think developers need to be careful not to make people who prefer either type feel forced to participate in the PvP that they don't enjoy. In recent games that have tried to icnentivize open world PvP they've done this with general PvP rewards that essentially force instanced PvP players to participate and I don't think making players feel forced to do anything is a good idea.

If you have to create incentives that are so strong that they force players who dislike open PvP to participate then it isn't worth it. If that is what the game needs for open world pvp to be popular, it isn't worth it being popular at all. People shouldn't be grudgingly forced into any content so that it can be fun for the minority that enjoy it, that just doesn't make any sense and I hope it doesn't happen again in my experience.

I think open world pvp should have bonuses and be rewarding, but the rewards should be different from instanced pvp rewards, and it shouldnt be something where you get your instanced rewards for the week then you go do your open world rewards, they should overlap eachother so that players can choose one or the other and not feel like if they aren't doing both they aren't min-maxing their character.

ObliviousPrime likes this.
  11. Azzurri

Azzurri Podcaster

I prefer Open World PvP. I think instanced PvP disconnects the player from the world. I guess having an arena for some competitive PvP and time to kill when you just want to kill some people really quick isn't bad. I think the focus should be on Open World PvP. How they try to do that is the big question.

12. ObliviousPrime

another thing to do to encourage open world PVP is fixing culling

Kurik Lein likes this.
  13. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

Yeah I would rather wait for PvP than have it with culling.

14. WildZhen

WildZhen Cupcake-About-Town

Ahhh PvP this beautiful idea of having player beat the <REDACTED> out each other ^^. Well I loved arena pvp not so much BG because you had to have a group of people that knew it. Alterac valley used to be my most hated/entertaining battleground because it was really a huge battle that took time (back in the days at least) the strat wasn't that much complicated but I enjoyed it. (don't get me wrong having an alterac for 4-5 hours was not in anyway relaxing lol) but once you did it you had the same feeling as the one you got out of a raid ^^. WvW is a thing I like but really none so far for me has emulated the battle I had at crossroad lol. So I'll stick with some sort of Arenas and battleground since I have had many year of experience from them. (Swtor pvp was meh?! and guild wars pvp for some reason I did not love it that much just too much thing going on and people doing useless stuff).