1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Question about Human Accents

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by Nimiar, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Nimiar

Nimiar New Cupcake

So I was wondering whether anyone knows the background for why the Exiles and Cassians have different accents.

I suppose it's a class thing... but does that mean we will occasionally run into an Exile who used to be upper class and has a British accent? And vice versa. Are there "low class" Cassians that speak with the same drawl as the Exiles in the videos?

My understanding is that the split between the Dominion and Exiles wasn't actually *that* long ago... perhaps long enough to develop a bit of an accent, but not necessarily to diverge as much as the videos seem to suggest. Were they really that isolated from each other, such that they developed an entirely different way of speaking?

In our world, the divergence between American and British accents happened over a long period of time, caused by many factors, but particularly the geographical isolation from each other and rhotacism (change in pronunciation of the "r").
    (Further reading on this subject: History of the English Language and When did Americans lose their British Accents?)

Anyway, does anyone have any info on the thinking behind this in WildStar? Or am I just an over-obsessed English nerd? (Well, we knew that already.) ^^
  2. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

HA a lore question :D

How long ago do you think it happend? Cause to me almost 300 years (287 to be exact) is plenty of time to completely get rid of any accent in the family ;)
    Specially when you count in the influences of the Aurin, Granok and the Mordesh to the human language.
    Also the lowborns will not speak hillbilly like in the video of the Exiles. They have some more manners :D

I myself moved to the other end of our country and I already see that i'm starting to speak with an accent (in less then 3 years), same happened to my sister although she took the accent over pretty fast.....

300 years is (again) plenty of time to even ''completely'' get rid of an accent, specially when you count in all the factors.

Some factors are:
    Influences of other species language (don't only see the Aurin, Mordesh, Granok there are way more species like the Lopp and many others)
    Hatred towards the highborn accent? (posibility)
    Multiple generations in that timespan

Edit:
    Quickly reading your links saying:
    sounds to me this is about right. I just think you didn't know the correct timespan between the Cassian revolt and the current WS age, right? (1378AE was when it happend and it's now 1665AE)
    How long did you fought was past? 100 years?

You just got beaten by an over-obsessed LORE NERD!!!
    Beat that! :p
    Benzecry and Nimiar like this.
  3. Nimiar

Nimiar New Cupcake

Haha, I do not pretend to be as versed in lore as you at all. Working on it, though!

Thanks for the input... I was thinking about it and Wildstar's version of the language divergence pretty much parallels the development of the English language. I was just wondering about how isolated the Exiles really were, and after some more investigation, I found that they were TOTALLY isolated. If however the Exiles had a lot of contact with Dominion Cassians throughout that time, I would expect less variation. Anyway, it makes sense as it is.

It will be fun to run into low-born Cassians here and there (I hope!).

Thanks for obsessing with me. =)
  4. Benzecry

Benzecry Cupcake-About-Town

In some ways, southern drawl is closer to the old British language than the "Old queens english." I have no clue myself but the Cassians might have become uppity and developed into a different direction of speech and culture. To seem highbrow as their power and position made them seem to be. So you would get both sides going in opposite directions for their cultures on top of the time span. At least that is how I imagine it COULD have gone down.