1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Question

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by Max, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Max

Max New Cupcake

I will apologise in advance if this seems rather offending to administrators/moderators, but in all honesty i am a bit at a loss, hence my enquiring;

I was under the impression that for reasons partly stated in various media Carbine Studios had decided to forgo an official forum until whatever it is they plan for regulating and maintaining 'a' certain social standard was in place. Following the obvious impression that this indeed (Wildstar Central) was but a dedicated 'fan site'. Someone entepreneuring enough forming it, with the usual anticipation of 'rewards'/'exclusive coverage'/'got me a first hands on' and so on. Well and good, and as stated in my first post here, a job well done and all the best to you. Indeed a very, very good effort.

The problem arises in my lately noticing (am new so you will excuse me the lately part) that various Carbine Studios employees frequent the site, post in it on an official manner, along with of course monitoring, distinguishing the "bestest" fans out of the fans mass before posting conference tickets, and so on. Question arises as to how exactly this has come to occur and of course what exactly (i am hoping there better be one) is CB's stance on this. It is one thing to have any a fan site, where you may or may not monitor it, and quite another becoming involved in it directly. Bit hazy, at least to me.

Muddling the waters between official and private need not necessarily end well, or at the very least may well allow for innuendos..and we have seen phenomena like this before, albeit in smaller MMO teams, phenomena everyone but the few directly involved came to dislike. Experiencing them from a developing studio funded by NCSoft and sporting such a large team is as stated..worrying at best;

So once more, excuse my curiosity; Hoping for a reply, in a kind and conversational a tone :)
  2. pseudo

pseudo Podcaster

I don't really know what you're trying to say here... Wildstar Central is a fansite.
  3. ObliviousPrime

ObliviousPrime "That" Cupcake

Well Carbine has stated their intention to stay in touch with the community and part of that is interacting with fansites, they are not the only Devs that did that (IE posting in fansites -again I bring up planetside-universe)

very cool of them, and I like the interaction between the community and them.

do you not like it? sorry I don't understand exactly what you are saying.

btw this is just my 2 cents I am not a mod or admin here just a happy member :p
  4. Qimx

Qimx Cupcake-About-Town

WildStar developers can also be WildStar fans.
  5. Ayr

Ayr Cupcake-About-Town

His point is that there should be a separation of powers, objectivity and transparency between the various parties and the fans. I understand what you're saying Max.

However, WS-C is not a regulatory body of MMOs, and the principles you seem to want applied here would only create a stale and uninteresting fansite. The press and companies do and should enjoy a healthy relationship.

It's absolutely brilliant that Carbine have 'yellows' that post here. The benefit of a close relationship between Carbine and WS-C far outweigh any woolly hard to define horror that could come of it.

Will WS-C start intentionally misleading us? I don't see it. Fansites are hotbeds of criticism as well as praise, and the Yellows from Carbine will be up to their necks in complaints from this site after release. It benefits us that we can get feedback to them from here and they have a chance to explain themselves.

As things are, we should be thankful for WS-C and the contributors/owners and Carbine's Yellows. We don't need to ass-lick them all day long, but building sites and maintaining working relationships is a lot of effort. Appreciate that tacitly at least.

When Zap starts deleting threads critical of WSO. Then we can rant and rave. For now, just enjoy the community for the next 7 or 8 month we have left until every thread turns into a 'PvE sucks lol', 'haha noob', spam fest.
    Zee, Elsie and ObliviousPrime like this.
  6. Aheadache

Aheadache Well-Known Cupcake

This is a fan site. Have a nice day.
    Ingsoc likes this.
  7. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

Alright, I can see the point you're going for but I'm afraid you're seeing potential drama where there is none.

Let me state unequivocally - Carbine Studios staffers have no privileges on this forum beyond being able to post in an extra forum or two more than a regular user. We simply have a user group for them so we can highlight their posts (because who doesn't like to hear from devs?)

That's it. They have no access to your data, nor can they moderate/edit your posts. That's mine (Red Name), and the Mod Squad's (Purple Names) purview - and then only when the Terms and Rules are violated.

The invitees for Arkship were not merely just WSC Forum members - though I can see how you can have that misunderstanding, as we are the largest WildStar fansite (currently). It would stand to reason that the bulk of invitees may sit on our forums (even if they were selected for contributions elsewhere).

WSC had no hand in selecting the Arkship participants.

Carbine have openly expressed that they will be launching an official forum down the line, but will not stop interacting with unofficial ones - Looking around you will see them posting on Twitter, Reddit, MMORPG.com and no doubt other places I haven't spotted them too.

If you need anything else explained then please let me know - I'm happy to do so either publicly here, or in a private message.
    Ianpact, Ingsoc, Kataryna and 6 others like this.
  8. Max

Max New Cupcake

Thank you for replying Zap-Robo