1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Race Attack Animations

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by Death, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Death

Death Cupcake-About-Town

Decided to write this in an effort to gather more information on a subject near and dear to my heart.

Race Attack Animations!
    We're all aware that races have their own unique dance animations in most MMO's. One of the reasons I fell in love with WoW early on was because the attack animations for each race had some flavor to them! Exampled below:

and

I always loved how Blood Elves had basically the same jumping special two handed sword attack as Night Elves, only with that added extra swing behind their backs. It gave them a familiarity and distinction all at the same time.

I've read in various places in these forums that Carbine chose the single weapon per class route to cut down on the workload for the animators. Makes perfect sense to me, and I'm already pleased with everything I've been lucky enough to see. What I'm wondering and hoping to learn more about is if these animations will be along racial lines in a similar vein to what WoW had.

I've already noticed the cool samurai-esque way in which a Mechari warrior holds his sword:
    [​IMG]

It's different from the still upright, but less vertically straight angle the Granok use:
    [​IMG]
    I LOVE these types of differences! They really help set each race apart and make playing them feel more unique.

However, every video I've scoured through watching gameplay depicts the same three swing auto attack-like animation sequence for warriors, regardless of race. (Slash/Slash/Jumping Spin Slash)

It's the same for spellslingers with their 3 hit combo. (Doubleshot/Doubleshot/Spin around Doubleshot)

Is this a placeholder animation for now? Or not the kind of attack the animators are focusing on? Will animations be different not only with races but with sexes within each race also? Can someone point me to an official quote that addresses any of this?

In the end I'll admit that i'm grasping for more information on a game I already love while waiting for any tiny tidbit to make me even more excited to play it. :) Back to working on some more fanart.
  2. ruff_ethereal

ruff_ethereal Well-Known Cupcake

Those are all Beta builds. As Disclaimer Guy says, anything that is shown during Beta does not necessarily reflect the final product.

Every race and gender will get their own animations by release. I can't remember where it's been said, but I'm pretty sure there's a legion of older fans that will back me up.

Also, nice catch with the Mechari's default stance. Never noticed it.

P.S. I remember an Exile Human on patrol in Meet the Dominion held his sword horizontally, as they probably couldn't handle the weight of keeping it up all the time.
  3. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

We'll back you up, no worries!
    [​IMG]
    ruff_ethereal likes this.
  4. Marek Noncitizen

Marek Noncitizen New Cupcake

My bigest animation issue is probably Mordesh run/movement animation. It looks like Mechari and that doesn´t fit for almost dead race in my opinion. But its whatever... For the Dominion! :-P
  5. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

Each and every spell and ability is individually animated for each class/race/gender combo available. Don't know if they'll be all THAT different 'cause you still gotta know by sight what that Chua Spellslinger is casting compared to that Cassian Female Spellslinger and know if they're casting the same spell or not.
  6. ruff_ethereal

Very, very clever. Bravo.

Also, thanks.
  7. ruff_ethereal

It was probably recycled--Beta is Beta, and little details take time to make. That aside, it wouldn't be out of place seeing as most Mordesh are more cybernetics than working muscle.
  8. Tribe

Tribe Well-Known Cupcake

In the two images above, are the swords being held differently because the races are different, because the weapon models are different, or both?
  9. ruff_ethereal

Just races. Weapon models may vary in appearance but are all rigged in the same fashion.
    Kataryna likes this.