1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Race-Class Options Awfully Restricting

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Naunet, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Naunet

Naunet Well-Known Cupcake

It struck me while looking through the official website for the billionth time that WildStar's race-class restrictions are... extremely tight. Uncomfortably so.

I've never been a fan of this kind of game design. I prefer the freedom to choose whatever race I want to play and whatever class I want to play, not be pigeonholed into particular races because I want to play a certain class (or vice versa).

At least for now, only the humans and cassians can be all four classes (though there are two classes unreleaed). Some races have only two class options. This seems rather absurd to me. If I want to play an aurin warrior, or a granok esper, then by golly, I should be able to. I know Rift did away with race-class restrictions, and many of the other MMOs I've played also left out the arbitrary brick walls between certain races and certain classes.

I know this isn't an official forum, but it's the closest I can get to one, so here I am wondering about others' thoughts and hoping for a bit of support. I see no reason to restrict player options in this way. I hope the folks at Carbine look into easing these very narrow constraints.
    Glacius and ruff_ethereal like this.
  2. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

I see only one reason and a very good one as well. I understand you are a roleplaying type of player, so I'm a bit surprised to see you're 'complaining' about this. The reason is lore. Lorewise it doesn't make sense to see a Granok use telekinetic spells. Or an Aurin use a giant sword. I'm glad to see these restrictions. This way we won't see silly combinations like a Gnome Warrior or a Night Elf Mage.
    Kataryna and WildHawk like this.
  3. Naunet

Meh, there are always ways to justify what would otherwise seem unusual race-class combinations. Especially in a world where the races are quite obviously working closely together, a bit of cultural bleed-over is to be expected. Not to mention the fact that all members of a race are not uniform in thought, perspective, attitude, and skill. It's simply not how life works, and it would make sense to see that diversity reflected in-game.
  4. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

While it doesn't bother me as of yet, I understand where you're coming from. Personally, I could see Aurin wielding swords and it still make sense lore wise, they really aren't too far off from Cassians or Humans in terms of stature. I'm curious to see which classes the last two races get and read the lore behind them.
    ruff_ethereal likes this.
  5. Guide

Guide Well-Known Cupcake

Not all classes are revealed, so Granok will have 3 as it was officially stated they will be able to use the 2 unknown classes.

Restriction comes with the lore. If it didn't make sense, then yeah I'd be upset.
    Kataryna, ruff_ethereal and Kurik like this.
  6. Naunet

I'm all worried because I really like the sound of the esper class, but if the fourth exile race really is undead, that is what I want to play, no ifs, ands, or buts. I love playing as undead! The roleplay potential for that kind of a race is staggering. But if they can't be espers... I don't want to be forced to choose between an awesome class or an awesome race! D:
    ruff_ethereal and Kurik like this.
  7. azmundai

azmundai Well-Known Cupcake

im not sure how to feel honestly. I think it's nice to have some unique things .. but im not sure it's really necessary in class-race combinations.

honestly, some of the best warrior tanks ive seen are gnomes ...

now we just need mini bears :) .. see though .. that might be pushing it >.<

it looks like the granok only have 1 class as of right now .. thats troubling.

I guess if I had a vote it would be that most races can be most classes, but in some rare situation, such as gnome druids for example, it would be ok for a race to not be able to have 1 class.
  8. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

Put me in the camp: I don't get it. It destroys the fun for me when I see combinations that makes no sense lorewise. I retract myself from this discussion, I made my point.
    MeakGG and Firmitas like this.
  9. Guide

Guide Well-Known Cupcake

Carbine cherishes their lore. I find no wrong in that.

The Aurin not being able to use Warrior makes sense to me as said class requires Strength. Carbine doesn't want the Aurin to be strong. Stalker works for them for the speedy aspect. It's like Thief or Assassin for an Elf race. Yes, Stalkers can tank, but evasive-wise. Aurin are nimble, but not all of them are into magicks, so give them a melee class that works lore-wise!

Granok are "more boulder than brains", so Spellslinger and Esper is out the question as well as Stalker. Unless you're rolling a Granok down a hill, don't expect one to be fast! Granok can use the next two races, one likely being a rifle class and quite possibly something engineer-like. Not getting into mystic/shaman thing everyone else is talking. lol

Mechari are robots, so obviously, they could not perform magical abilities, however, they cover strength and can be fast, so Warrior and Stalker works.
  10. azmundai

idk .. take out the brains and plug some expensive gems into a granok's head and I can see him casting spells =P

I get what you are saying and agree to an extent .. but it does feel a little overly restrictive atm ... that might change when we know the other classes tho.
    ruff_ethereal and Guide like this.
  11. Guide

Guide Well-Known Cupcake

It was worse when I thought classes were gender AND race locked when watching the cinematic for the first time. :p
  12. Elthic

Elthic Cupcake-About-Town

I think it might seem overly restricted, because there is only 6 total classes. So when a race can only be 3 or 4 classes it doesn't seem like a lot. But that is half or 2/3 respectively available to that particular race, and that is a pretty big amount in variety.
  13. Lyas Tyrell

Lyas Tyrell Cupcake-About-Town

Whatever the next 2 classes are they have to fit with Granok Lore if a Granok is going to be able to be both of them.

I can see the dev team balancing it so that every race can be at least 3 classes. Humans being the most vanilla will probably be the only race that can be 4+.

I think the Lore argument for race/class combinations is a good one and if it's balanced right I won't mind. I don't think I'd like to see a Granok Esper, or an Aurin Warrior. That'd feel wrong to me.
  14. Brimdang

Brimdang Cupcake

I just had a thought. Carbine has stated that each class has its own animations, and they've stated that they want every ability to have a unique animation (why they are limiting each class to 1 weapon type) and not just unique particle effects. Maybe it's partially a development resource thing and they are restricting the race/class combinations that make more sense from a lore standpoint.
    Animating every ability for every race and every gender would be a pretty big undertaking.
    Kataryna and Zerdav like this.
  15. Gempulse

Gempulse Cupcake-About-Town

Presumably, all races will be able to be three classes. However, Humans and Cassians will, presumably, be able to be all 6 classes.

I am glad for the restrictions, because I cannot see a Mechari being able to use magical abilities; that just seems silly to me. Some of the races fit much better with the classes that they are assigned, in my opinion.

Edit: Please note I said presumably. I can guess that this will be the case based on what we are provided with so far.
  16. Guide

Guide Well-Known Cupcake

Good point. That is also the reason why each class has only one weapon equipment type.
  17. Luciamund

Luciamund Cupcake

I really like the idea of restricting race/class combos under the pretense that they are using it instead of racial bonus's. I just don't want to see the everyone can play this but if you don't make your warrior tank a Tauren or a dwarf you pretty much fail that was early wow. on a side note I see the granok more as the kind of guy's you would find on a fan boat hunting gators in the bayou, where esper screams Weezard putting the two together would be hilarious and oh so wrong.
    ruff_ethereal and Lyas Tyrell like this.
  18. Guide

Guide Well-Known Cupcake

I prefer class combo restrictions over racial bonuses, tbh. Racials create a meta and you'll see clones everywhere.
    Irimii likes this.
  19. azmundai

game animations are actually quite simple really. I doubt that is the reason. a good animator should be able to do an AAA sword swing in a few hours.

of course it does depend on the complexity of things, how weapons and spell animations work together, do they need separate animations for each race for each weapon and for each ability?

i still think an AAA mmo wouldn't restrict classes simply for animations tho.
  20. Lyas Tyrell

Lyas Tyrell Cupcake-About-Town

I would like this to be true.