1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Race-Class Options Awfully Restricting

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Naunet, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Lethality

Lethality "That" Cupcake

It's a bit different because races in an MMO have much more to do with size (and visual appearance) than anything else. So using a real world analogy, you'd never see a 6'9" dude as a jockey in a horse race - he'd me more likely headed to the basketball court. This profession choice is due to size, and it's the same thing in an MMO. A huge Granok likely wouldn't be too good at sneaking around in the shadows, the same way a waify Aurin would have trouble using a huge sword.

Now, I swear I remember hearing a comment somewhere that an Aurin would be able to carry such a sword but would have to work harder at it... not sure if I'm dreaming this or not... anyone recall this?
    GuruNation likes this.
  2. GuruNation

GuruNation New Cupcake

Although I would have wanted a sword-wielding Aurin, I really don't mind the restrictions either. I guess a lot of people just get the "space-elf" from Aurin's. And while Elves have as much varied personality as any human, it's typically because they hail from the same world. Aurin are aliens, no matter how fair-skinned and cute they look. While we can always say that they don't have the proper strength for it; you could also imagine that the sword isn't really the most common weapon in their arsenal. A sword can't chop down trees or build houses, and even if magic isn't common amongst every single Aurin; what reason would a sword have to exists. With all the guns, (presuming Aurin anatomy) claws, and technology the idea of a sword is pretty obsolete.

I'm just adding another reason why it's plausible that Aurin couldn't be warriors; just a lack of martial prowess with that specific type of armament.
    ruff_ethereal likes this.
  3. Naunet

Naunet Well-Known Cupcake

I doubt animations alone would delay the game for two years. I also think this statement of your's is rather presumptive.

I disagree. Step out of the D&D mindset for once and look at this from a more open, fluid perspective.

Why should I be forced into a species stereotype? It's extremely boring storytelling if all aurin are weak-muscled casters and sneaks, or if all granok are burly muscle-heads. There's no diversity of character or thought. No inherent freedom to roleplay how you may choose.

Race-class restrictions are completely arbitrary and unnecessary, and I would argue, even detrimental to deep story-telling because it results in characters that slide nice and easy into a single stereotype rather than having depth, differences, complexity.
  4. Xpress

Xpress Cupcake

Its their story, and their game, if they say a Mechari cant use magic, then they cant. And thats about it, theres not much to argue lol. Some ppl will like ,some will hate it.

Both sides have good arguments, but in the end its Carbine decision since they made the whole damn thing.

Oops i just ruined the discussion didnt i? sorry about that, keep at it. :D
  5. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

Alright, but remember how long WoW took to add new race/class combinations. And they by that point had received millions if not billions in revenue and had who knows how many more employees.

And WoW didn't have NEARLY as many different animations for abilities either.

I've seen a computer animator at work and it takes a REALLY long time to animate just a simple thing, and we're talking about a game here which because the player is often canceling things and moving around it makes this kind of stuff that much harder.

It's really not as simple as one might think.
    Yakzan likes this.
  6. Naunet

WoW has gone on record (I believe via Ghostcrawler) that their race-class restrictions are primarily due to what "makes sense" from a lore perspective. I don't think I've ever see them claim that they limited the options due to animation restraints. This kind of race-class limitation is rooted in tabletop RPG history, and I honestly think it's an extremely archaic game mechanic that would be better thrown out in favor of more freedom of choice.

Doesn't mean I can't try to encourage them to think in a different way.
  7. Liris

Liris Cupcake-About-Town

I'm not a big fan of race /class restrictions personally. If someone wants to be an Aurin warrior or a Mechari spellslinger, I think they should be able to be that.
  8. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

Well if you believe Blood Elf Warriors, Gnome Priests, and Human and Undead Hunters were not included at release due to lore reasons... I MIGHT lean towards believing you about the Gnome Priests, but the others...? :confused:

And if they are willing to turn Taurens into Paladins, why didn't they just turn EVERY race into a Paladin? And a Troll got to be druid... so why not allow ALL races to be druids? Why not make human shamans? Clearly Blizzard at the time was willing to completely come up with reasons in their lore to make some of these things work, but why not make ALL of them work and make even more people happy? Time and money and effort.

And also if you just aren't going to agree it takes a ton of manpower and work and money to animate this stuff well we're never going to see eye to eye on the issue.
  9. Xpress

Xpress Cupcake

Ok i add my 2 cents, i really doubt it is because of animations etc as some ppl say , if they had set a goal early in production that they wanted all races to have all classes they would just made it np.

I think they made it this way just because it makes sense and goes with their lore, just like most other games that have race/class restrictions did, and thats about it. Unless they have some other systems tied to it, like Lethality said i also remember they said something like for ex: Granok would have an easier time with a Strength based class while a Draken would have to work more, since they are better with Dexterity, something like that if i can make myself understand lol.

I also think that the more choices this games have the better, but if they decided to have it this way it doesnt bother me too much =).
  10. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

Just sayin' ...

Source
    Kataryna and spencerBAXLEY like this.
  11. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

ok, two examples:
    Husband 6'6" 400lbs = Granok
    Sister 5'2" 130lbs = Aurin
    I can see my sister climbing walls, dodging things, and avoiding hits.
    I can see my husband wielding a huge sword (in fact we have one in the corner of the room, a huge claymore, that looks tiny in his hands, and huge in mine!), taking punches, and making sure whatever is coming at him doesn't pass him.
    I cannot really see one doing the things the other can do.

Husband: he would be more suited to being a linebacker, not a jockey. More suited to being a sumo wrestler, than a ninja. He'd be more suited to be a lumberjack working on large things than a clockmaker working with tiny things. He lumbers up to you, he doesn't sneak up behind you (well...he actually has snuck up on someone he works with...inadvertently...but that was a rare case).

My sister is 5'2, and about 130lbs. She'd be a lot less likely than my husband to be able to wield a large heavy sword, and a lot better at climbing a rock wall than my husband. She's bouncy and quick.

anyways back on the real topic:
    I actually like the lore being the reason for not having certain class/species combos. Just like a Tauren Priest/paladin didn't make sense, a Granok Spellslinger or a Mechari Esper doesn't make sense.
  12. Twinflame

Twinflame Cupcake-About-Town

Magitech is kinda the bread and butter of sci-fantasy these days. What do you think spellslinger guns are? They're machines designed to work in conjunction with magic. It's not a stretched to think that the channeling of magical energies can be automated. In fact, I pretty much guarantee you that at some point in this game you're going to see a robot use magic. Even if it is something leftover by the Eldan. (which Mechari are Eldan technology)
  13. Loveless

Loveless Cupcake

I'm not a huge fan of restrictions...anything that represents a creativity harness. If more writers and designers had gone with the 'that doesn't make sense!' mentality, imagine what we might be missing today. A good Drow, for instance, that inspired so much junk it isn't even funny. Hobbits should stay in the shire and dance and be silly. I'm gonna pretend I didn't see something about a Night Elf Mage being 'silly', too. :speechless:
    To be fair, I guess I'm just a fan of overcoming stereotyping.
  14. Naunet

Options opening up in the future - that's what I took out of that. Good. I hope they do so. Because this is one game mechanic that needs to be left in the past.
    Loveless likes this.
  15. azmundai

azmundai Well-Known Cupcake

tauren rogues. nuff said =P

how does a tauren hide in a cherry tree?
    Kataryna likes this.
  16. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

If you know the Warcraft lore you would know it's really silly. Using magic wrong is why the Night Elves came to be in the first place. Night Elves swore off using magic for more then 10000 years and in one day they decided to use it again? It's like asking English people to drive on the right side of the road. It's stupid imho.
    ruff_ethereal and Kataryna like this.
  17. Hommedaction

Hommedaction Cupcake

There are Night Elves in Feralas using magic if I remember correctly, the libram guys.
    And last time I checked, Illidan was a Night Elf using magic. Well, also half demon and dead, but still.

English people do drive on the right side of the road, when they are in Vendée.
    ruff_ethereal and Loveless like this.
  18. Inferiae

Inferiae Cupcake

I think it's fairly apparent from the above quote that animations are the bottleneck here, and from what we've seen the animations are incredibly smooth and fluid on characters and creating these must take a huge amount of time and skill.

The fact is yes it's a triple A title, but every title has a budget, Carbine will have X amount of animators and they will have to prioritise what work is important to them, chances are that very few players will not play because a particular race cannot be a certain class, compared to say if there was no end game because none of it was yet animated.
  19. Guide

Guide Well-Known Cupcake

Tell that to the animators. Each skill offers something unique with a unique animation as we were told at Arkship. And yes each race is iconic enough to have their own animations as the dev stated as well.
    Kataryna likes this.
  20. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

You can really see the attention to detail they put into the game just from how a warrior puts away his sword on his back. :)

Find a video if you can and watch that. It's a joy to see. They took a simple sheathe animation and made it something special. Spellslingers also do this with a few pistol twirls.

I just want to take this opportunity to thank the developers for doing all that work on something so simple most companies overlook it. It draws me in and it makes the game that much more engaging.
    Inferiae likes this.