1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Rachel's Racial Roundup

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by Steampunkette, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Steampunkette

Steampunkette Cupcake-About-Town

Gonna do a quick over view of my current understanding and predictions of the races and their factions because... Well... Why not? Remember that these are my opinions. And while I may use lots of words to express them they are no more valid than your own. I'm not attempting to start arguments or make anyone feel bad. Merely attempting to illustrate my thoughts on the game world within the confines of the factions and their races.

Dominion: An Empire. Everyone calls them evil, but they really aren't evil. They're just imperialistic. Their goal is to conquer as much of the universe as possible and bring them about to a civilized way of being. This is actually incredibly common throughout human history and science fiction, but the invaders are almost always framed as horrible, evil, cruel, and destructive because we, as a Western Society, romanticize the idea of the Underdog.

Was Rome Evil? How about England or France or Germany? The Turks and their Ottoman Empire? How about the various Chinese Warlords who created lasting dynasties through violence and bloodshed? The Egyptians, perhaps? or the Persians? As much as people like to try and paint imperial goals as terrible and wrong most of the people in the world, today, exist as a direct result of imperialistic successes.

As much as we all tend to sympathize with the plight of the Native American that sympathy isn't enough for us to pack up our homes and move away to make restitution to the people we committed genocides against. Nor is it enough to empty the lands of Israel and Palestine to offer them up to the most ancient bloodlines native to the region.

Our societies are, primarily, the result of wars of land acquisition. Our cultures are either preserved in a bubble surrounded by cultural imperialists, or have been destroyed so utterly that no one remembers a single detail about that culture. To paint the Dominion as evil on this end is to paint all the nations of the world and their predecessors and eventually their antecedents as evil.

No. The Dominion isn't evil. Violent? Sure. Egotistical? Fine. Detached from reality? Not a stretch. But evil, wicked, and needlessly cruel? Doubtful at best. I'm sure some members are, even among the ruling elite. But as a society they remain fairly neutral. Though quite attached to tradition and history and Law.

Exiles: A Federation. A group of individuals banding together for the common good of their own free will. Lacking resources and land, this group traverses the stars in great ships to try and find a new home. Unlike the Dominion, the Exiles have no intention of becoming a conquering and imperialistic society.

Unfortunately: They already are.

By landing on Nexus and displacing the native species, some of which utilize tools and show signs of intelligence, they've taken the first big step in becoming an imperialistic federation. Sure they likely will have a ruling council, but the result will remain the same. As we have seen in various footage, there is an ongoing war between the Exiles and the Dominion.

That war is a Land War. Not simply a war of aggression out of hate, but specifically a war of resources and locations. A war that the Exiles are on both the righteous and wrong sides of. For those of you who view the Dominion as evil for attempting to conquer other worlds and steal land from "The Other Side" you should know that Nexus belongs to the Dominion. Remember: The Eldan begat the Dominion through the Luminai, who are part of the Dominion in ruling positions. This gives them a political and biological link back to Nexus, a chartered and founding world within the Dominion.

The Exiles are invading. Again, this doesn't make the Exiles an evil force. It's likely that some of their members are cruel or wicked, vengeful or awful people through and through, but as a society they remain fairly neutral. Each individual has her own reasons for coming to Nexus and placing their flag of ownership on a chunk of the land. If anything they lean more towards Chaotic alignments as a loose federation of races and cultures coming together in a greater goal.

The Future of the Exiles and Dominion: This is a prediction and nothing more. I believe that as the battle rages on and the war between the Exiles and the Dominion continues we'll see a short cessation of Hostilities, likely just before the first major game update, in which both sides work together to fight against a greater threat. After that threat is defeated, each side will again rejoin the battle for Nexus.

Depending on the update, one side or the other will be the Aggressor in this land war, and they'll likely trade off as each major update rolls around. At some points the Exiles will be the ones who view themselves as "Retaliating" against some slight or another. But initially the aggressive group will be the Dominion, based upon their claims to Nexus through the Luminai, the Charter of the Dominion, and the Mechari, a sapient race created and originating from Nexus.

Dominion Races
    Cassians: The Cassians are a proud race of imperialistic humans. Raised in a tightly knit culture which routinely tramples other cultures into the sands of time and the dust of history upon which to build their latest legacy. Arrogant, Prideful, and Thoroughly Smarmy, the Cassians will likely as not be an insufferable group of entitled prats who view their culture as alone in it's worthiness of being accepted. They can be viewed best as a political allegory for Imperialistic England. Within the Empire they are generally viewed as correct in most things as they culturally and militaristicly invade other societies in an ever-expanding empire which views itself as "Enlightening" other societies to civilization.

Expect to see a lot in internalized racism from the Cassians. Treating other races as "Lesser" by comparison. Especially the more violent or culturally different groups, such as Granok and Aurin. The former will be labeled barbarians and brutes, the latter will be viewed as "Tree hugging hippies" and the like. When it comes to the Non-Cassian humans there will likely be a lot of ethnic-racism allegories, with the Exile humans generally viewed as the worst of humanity, or the unenlightened and unwashed masses who don't know what is truly good for them.

Chua: This is one of the two races I know the least about. Based on what I have seen and read, however, I offer the following: A society of inventive and creative monogendered fuzballs, the Chua will be the primary scientific backing of the Dominion. Their focus on experimentation, however, will likely lean closer to Mengele than Mendel. With many experiments leading to disaster. Much of their story-involvement will be fairly obsequious to the more powerful races of the Dominion, but give a Chua a mech-suit and their tunes will change rather quickly. The Technozombies of the Exiles may be a creation of the Chua, a failed experiment that self-replicated.

Expect lots of technobabble and experiments gone horribly wrong. They'll likely be treated with disdain by the Cassians who feel they need the technical knowledge of the Chua, even if their Technomancy will often result in chaos.

Draken: Viewed, thus far, as a violent and brutish race of murderous reptile-baboons, the Draken are in actuality one of the more "Evolved" races of the Dominion. Their society's reverence for violence and duels will be highlighted harder than Reba McIntyre's hair. Expect to see the Draken Worfed throughout their time in the Dominion as more and more intricacy of their invariably violent and destructive culture comes to life. The House of Mogh will live on in Wildstar. You'll probably see them in a bitter, if one sided, rivalry with the Granok. All the rules and ritual given over to violence are ignored by the brutish Granok, who kill for Money rather than Honor.

The Draken will also be the Mystical Backbone of the Dominion. As much as the Chua bring forth Technological wonders, the Draken will bring out Mysticism handed down by word of mouth from Master to Apprentice, Shaman to Initiate. Their primary role in storylines will likely be either mystical aid or shock troopers with very little room between the two.

Mechari: Still Alive. This race is a powerful, formidable, and versatile tool for the Dominion and specifically the Cassians. Bound to the Dominion by their programming, these Sapient machines will probably still have to deal with a lot of mechanophobia from Cassians and Technophobia from the Draken. The Chua will likely love the Mechari as a pinnacle of what can be achieved through Technology. The Mechari, themselves, likely view all non-mechanical life as weak and lesser, but are designed to protect it.

Within the storylines expect to see the Mechair serve at the exact limits of their programming. Helping the smaller races only so much as they have to and then letting them get hoisted by their own petards. Lots of "Misunderstandings" that lead to the non-mechari getting into trouble. In a rivalry, expect the Aurin to despise the Mechari for being anthithetical to the natural order. Beings that live without eating, breathing, drinking, or giving back to the world.

Exile Races

Aurin: The Aurin have been showed to be a somewhat matriarchal egalitarian society in which the females are the larger, but not always dominant, sex. This will likely lead to some Nelf-style issues in Wildstar as male characters are given important roles that skew the balance of power and make everything questionable. Nature-loving animalistic people, the Aurin will likely be mistaken for happy fluffy bunnies and playful kittycats by many players and potentially some writers, but sometimes the claws will come out. The Granok will likely view them as tiny and annoying. The humans will see them much as elves. And the technozombies will be a bit distressed by them, as they represent life in the same way the Easter Bunny does.

For plot purposes expect the Aurin to be the go-to races for Mystical power. The "Good" side of the magical divide, they'll be more likely to use magic in an arcane manner: as a new form of science they can teach others. Either that or in a tree-hugging all life is connected manner which somehow ignores the Draken using ancestor-spirits and animalistic animism in favor of tree-based animism and animal worship that is somehow the more "Positive" side of things. Lots of disdain and even outright hatred against the Mechari for reasons outlined above.

Granok: Big Powerful Dumb. Three words that encapsulate the universe's general opinion of the Granok. Lots of Adam Baldwin as Jaine from Firefly in their mercenary style. Though with a bit more emotional conflict and doing the right thing if they betray a friend for cash. For the purposes of the game's primary storyline they'll likely be used as stormtroopers and cannon-fodder for the war itself, though human casualties will invariably be higher because there are fewer Granok to begin with and all of them are incredible at what they do.

Expect them to spend a lot of time attempting to adapt to other cultures and do so in a grudging manner. With grit teeth and fingers on the trigger the whole way. They'll have an ongoing rivalry with the Draken, mostly from the Draken's point of view, based on their cavalier use of violence going against the Draken codes of honor/ethics/etc.

Humans: The Underdog generic race of the Exiles. I wish in my heart of hearts that they'd been given SOME sort of identity as a culture beyond the most basic identifier of Human. The Cassians are humans from Cassia. Couldn't we have a planet Bob and these guys could be the Bobs? That would be better than "Humans" which applies equally well to Cassians. Grr. Enough rant. More expectations! The Humans of the Exiles are going to be a peacemaking sort of people. They'll settle disputes between the other races, treat everyone awesomely other than the technozombies, and will generally be the underdog everyone loves to root for.

Expect their casual internalized racism to be totally accepted by the Aurin and the Granok and maybe by the Technozombies. Similarly, expect their racist beliefs to be backed up 9 times out of 10 by the Aurin/Granok/Technozombie living up to the racist expectation. They assume the Granok Scientist is actually a warrior? She offers up a meek protest about being a doctor (not a soldier) and then settles into the fray with the human "Believing in Her" giving her the strength to fight. Blargh.

Technozombies: This is the second group I know basically nothing about. That said, I expect the following: The Technicians of the Exiles, the Technozombies were created by the Chua and learned lots and lots of Sciency stuff by proxy. Now that they're free, they utilize their knowledge to keep their bodies functioning, seek a cure, and supply the Exiles with interesting weapons and armor based on designs they "Glanced Over" while still in captivity, as well as some designs of their own.

Expect their primary lore role to surround their animosity with their "Creators" the Chua and their tendency to use Technozombies as experimental subjects. Similarly, they'll likely have an ongoing rivalry with the Aurin, since they're "Supposed" to be dead. Which is, of course, a natural part of life and yada yada and maybe if I keep typing you'll kill yourself and rid the world of yet another example of why Magic is better than Science.

So. That's my roundup. What's yours?

-Rachel-
    5ou1, Krakuun, Jefferson and 11 others like this.
  2. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

A few things about our great and magnificent Cassians that you forgot to mention:

1. The Luminai/Emperor(That's kinda big in the Cassian society, why leave it out?)

2. Not only racism towards others races, but also between the ''Higher Cassians'' and the ''Lower Cassians''
    (again a big thing in the Cassian society)

Those 2 things are kinda BIG within our Dominion society....don't mentioning our Emperor or the Luminai at all......You've got a deathwish?

No this kind of attitude should not be allowed within the Galaxy, i'm sure to send some Mechari assasins to your place. So be sure to keep your eye's open at all time, for they never sleep :sneaky:
    Kataryna likes this.
  3. Hoody

Hoody Cupcake-About-Town

A darn good read, but the one thing I get agitated by is that a lot of people get the idea that the fourth exile race is a Chua/Dominion failed experiment. See the thing is that in the "Meet the Exiles" video, Brinny says
    I mean isn't it a cooler idea to think that a race of people has to live on this godforsaken planet that has the most poisonous atmosphere, most poisonous plant life, and the most diseases known in the galaxy. And the race that lives on it has to keep themselves alive by making themselves new body parts, replacing their respiratory system with cybernetic implants so they can breathe better, or pumping themselves with new vaccines just to survive. Then the Dominion come strolling along and see the planet and think "Hey! This planet alone could possibly make a whole bunch of breakthroughs in chemical/biological warfare!" So the Dominion, as one would say, start blockading the planet with their star-ships and ravaging it with their frickin machines! Then of course the race says "Screw this noise!" and hauls major buttocks and they meet the Exiles. That, Ms. Rachel, is my roundup :cool:... For at least one race :cautious: ... That even isn't revealed yet :oops:...
    Chim, Kataryna and Domi Dayglow like this.
  4. Cottonspore

Cottonspore Cupcake-About-Town

You may also find this thread on the WSRP boards of interest: http://wildstar-roleplay.com/forum/page/1/m/11410152/viewthread/7024272-twitter-lore

It's a collection of lore from the mouths of the devs themselves, gotten through twitter. It sheds some interesting light on races... for instance, one interesting tidbit that came from twitter is that Aurin society isn't really all that monogamous (it "does exist" but is not indicated to be the dominant form of coupling as it is in our world) and the leaders (who are exclusively female, btw) especially have several consorts. It changed the way I look at that race for sure.
  5. banang1337

banang1337 New Cupcake

wow amazing work.
    It was a real good read.

i didn't get how much of all that was speculation and how much is published by devs?

e.g. the chua, how can you tell they really are the fourth race for the dominion?
  6. Cottonspore

Cottonspore Cupcake-About-Town

It's (almost) all speculation, the OP stated at the beginning these were her guesses at what the lore will be. If you've been a bad boy, you'd already know that one of the sections is completely off the mark from what the actual thing is going to be (to avoid posting any NDA breaking content I'm not going to point out which thing is wrong). But that's not the point of this thread - she was expressing her personal speculation and how she sees it turning out. It's not about whether her ideas are actually canon, it's about her interpretation of what we've been given so far. And I think most of the ideas are pretty interesting!
  7. Hoody

Hoody Cupcake-About-Town

Just take a look around the forums. There's A LOT of proof showing that they are the fourth Dominion race...
  8. Steampunkette

I didn't write much about the Luminai for two reasons. Firstly I'm WICKEDLY uncomfortable with the lore, there. I haven't gotten into it much because from what I've seen there is an implied coercive reproductive act and that makes me super squicky. I'm going to wait until the full lore for them is compiled before I get into anything serious.

As for high and low Cassians: I wasn't aware of the distinction. If you're talking about the children/grandchildren of Luminai then look to the above as to why I don't know a lot about them. :p

And yep. I'm pretty sure about the Chua. There's also a piece of promo art floating around the internet with 4 dominion characters and 3 exile characters. One on the dominion half is a Chua.

And it may be a cool idea to have the Technozombies as a race on a dying world: I just don't see it. "A Bunch" is not "All" y'know? And it seems to me that the Dominions would just have the Chua go Mengele. Grab some people "no one cares about", round them up, start experimenting.

-Rachel-
    ruff_ethereal and Hoody like this.
  9. Apostate

Apostate Well-Known Cupcake

I would honestly be disappointed if the zomboids are just another "victims of the Dominion" sob story. I can think of numerous origins for their condition cooler than the old "token evil scientist did token evil experiments on me and that makes me feel sad" bit.

Obviously, they'd have to butt heads with the Dominion at some point or another in their backstory if they're going to be Exiles, but something beyond the generic victim bit would be nice. I hope to see an Exile race that is "Dominion Lite", as it improves the odds of me ever making an alt to play the faction.

I'm not sure what's so squicky about the Luminai, as they represent the aristocracy of the British Empire allegory, but to each their own.
    Hoody likes this.
  10. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

I'm on the wait and see side of things.
    I'm very much a play it your way , enjoy the game , don't force your view on others rper and if you don't like it , don't rp with the person.

As such , I'm going to wait for more lore before I form my own opinions on how I will play / view the races . I enjoyed the read of your viewpoints and opinions on the races. As always I go into things with an open mind.

Edit : also I bet the fourth exile race was the race used by the eldan before the mechari but they had their own ideas and were dropped in favor of the mechari forcing them to look to the exiles for allies.
  11. Steampunkette

That is definitely a different angle on the technozombies, Rum, and makes them the first victims of the Dominion!

As for the squicky, Apostate, it's the implied coercive reproductive act that I find uncomfortable. That Tresayne Toria was forced to go to Nexus and give birth to Dominus or else the Cassian world would be destroyed.

-Rachel-
  12. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

As for your first reason, i don't think i can reasure you about that ;)

I don't know if you knew, but they have posted Lore about the Luminai <click here>
    I don't think you've read it yet, since it also explain the distinction between the Cassians, so it would be a good read :D I personally loved it.

Cassian society is kinda like this:
    1. Emperor (comes from 1 of the Luminai houses, this position can be taken by force)
    2. Luminai Houses (so i do believe it's incest, to keep the blood stay as pure as it is now, see the Vigilant Declaration for as to why i say that)
    3. Highborn Cassians (lineage can be traced way back to something luminai related, but theyare not the children of Luminai since they remain in the houses)
    4. Lowborn Cassians
    The Luminai have their own way of talking
    The Higborn have their own way of talking (different from that of the Luminai, so again i don't think they are their children bu more decendent from a far away lineage)
    The lowborn talk ''normally''

As far as where the Mechari come in the picture, i don't know. Mayby they are higher of rank then the lowborn Cassians, mayby some high ranked Mechari (members of the ICI) even outrank the Highborn Cassians.
    Seeing as they coronated the first Luminai Emperor, i think some Mechari are pretty high ranked.
    Seeing as they are made by the Eldan, i don't think they will ever outrank decendants of the Eldan (aka the Luminai).

As i don't know with the Mechari, i also don't know how the Draken feature in the Cassian society in ranking. Where would the current leader of the Draken be? I still think he would outrank the lowborns, but i don't know about outranking the Highborns (i don't think so).

As far as the Chua.....seeing how Malvolio doesn't wants to speak about them, i fear that they will be seen as lower then the Draken. Although i don't hope so, since i love the Chua :up:
    Let's hope they have a higher position then the Draken :D
  13. Apostate

I can't imagine the Draken will have much of a presence in greater Dominion society beyond their role as shock troops. The Chua will probably enjoy the "skilled artisan" niche: the Cassians will likely regard them as being significantly lower than themselves on the cultural ladder (naturally)but will find them much too useful to casually disregard. The Draken seem to have a similar relationship with them (the Cassians)from what I've been able to glean so far: the Cassians are happy to let them preserve their own culture and traditions as long as they fight and kill for the Dominion.

The Mechari are the stewards of the Dominion, so their role is one of service. Very prestigious service. Service in the sense of the Praetorian Guard. I can't imagine them being outranked (in the general sense of it)by anyone but the Luminai, and even among them, I imagine the Mechari are considered trusted and valuable counsel. To the Cassians, their Eldan heritage is everything and the Mechari are themselves the handiwork of the Eldan.

I'd speculate about the Exiles but I just don't give a damn. The zomboids are my only hope of that ever changing.
    ruff_ethereal likes this.
  14. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

This just deserves a thumbs up :up: (i feel the same way, but for me even the zombies can't change it)
    Rizzalliss and Kataryna like this.
  15. Apostate

If they're what I'm calling Dominion Liteā„¢ (bad guys working alongside good guys against other bad guys, for simplicity's sake), I'll probably roll one for an alt at some point. If they're "misunderstood victims of tragedy who have FEELINGS", or some other Phantom of the Opera <REDACTED>, I'll pass.
  16. Miatog

Miatog Cupcake-About-Town

Amazing read, just simply brilliant. Just one nitpicky point.

I might have missed it, but I'm not aware of Nexus having any intelligent races when the Exiles find it. I know it's the -former- home of the Eldan, but I thought only animals were there. Doesn't take away from your point given the other things you say. It's just me being nitpicky :p.
  17. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

There are races there , but I think they were planted there by the eldan and experimented on or are forgotten servants left behind by the eldan. I'm honestly not sure on the lore around them.
  18. Apostate

Inelegant, Miatog? :)

I think we can agree that -all- the non-Dominion races on Nexus are inelegant.
    Miatog likes this.
  19. Steampunkette

That point comes from one sequence in the Paths video with Voxine. For the Soldier path they show a Draken Stalker tearing into a group of tiny bug-eyed aliens with spears. They don't look technologically advanced enough to be spacefaring, so I assumed they were natives.

They remind me of Murlocs.

-Rachel-
  20. Miatog

Miatog Cupcake-About-Town

Fixed lol. I'm dislexic and that looked right to me at the time XD

Interesting, I'll have to go look for that vid. Well then ignore me completely and carry on ^_^