1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Rachel's Racial Roundup

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by Steampunkette, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Jefferson

Jefferson New Cupcake

This thread took considerably longer to degenerate than most on this sort of topic. That said, the Dominion are clearly intended as the "bad guys" since the game is made in the US, where we value progressive politics over pronomian stability.

Also, female Spotted Hyenas.

Also, tangentially related to something mentioned earlier in the thread, the tension is usually between "magic" and technology, rather than magic vs. science. Magic energies that are consistent in their usage and applications will be developed through the application of science, or not developed at all.
    ArdentSun and Eluldor like this.
  2. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

It's hard to guess levels in a lot of the current screenshots, but I'm going to try to pay more attention to the style of clothing the Cassians wear compared to the style that exile humans wear. They are the only two races that are identical physically. Carbine did state they wanted each race to have a unique 'shadow' to them. So, it should be reasonable to think that the same piece of armor would look different on the two human races.

The important thing is that if you make an aurin male, you must bow to the aurin females. So....bow to us! Oh, and bring us candies too. Oh! And something shiny. Shiny candies! :rolleyes:
  3. Steampunkette

Steampunkette Cupcake-About-Town

Skip to 12 minutes 39 seconds to find out the devs disagree that the Dominion are evil or the Exiles are good.

And Eludor: You don't need to prove anything. It doesn't matter. I'm not disagreeing that it's more common in non-mammals. I'm saying that it does happen in mammals and, obviously, in this race. And that that fact is interesting to me. That's all.

-Rachel-
  4. Domi Dayglow

The talk about non-mammals and mammals made me wonder about Granoks. What would they be classified as? The only real descriptive word Carbine has given us about their biology is "Rock" and, well. That's not very helpful. Do they even bleed when cut?
  5. Steampunkette

They bleed crude oil. *sagenod* That is now part of my headcanon. Only Devine Intervention will convince me otherwise!

-Rachel-
  6. Eluldor

Eluldor Cupcake-About-Town

This combined with not being able to view your profile, no idea what you're plotting = perfect reasoning not to play a male Aurin ha.

Now Granok...we could use a lot of information on their culture. How are they made? Assuming they're all rock, would they be carved from stone and then deteriorate over time? An infant rock growing up, and gaining mass, would be strange in this setting.

They are most likely hard skinned, but soft and gooey on the outside in order to not make their birthing and growing process so awkward. I hope they don't bleed traditional red "blood" though, can easily offer us something else.

As to the Aurin heights again... I'd rather learn what on their planet made them that way, as opposed to a departure from the norm, just because the devs thought it would be cool, even if users here find that interesting/nice :)
  7. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

/TINHATMODE ACTIVATE

They bleed oil? They're practically walking, talking, smashing treasure troves/banks! No wonder the Dominion sought an alliance with the granok! They just want to milk their bodies of that sweet black gold like they're a bunch of cows! IT'S A CONSPIRACY!!!! DOMINION BIG OIL WANTS TO THROW GRANOK INTO CAMPS TO FUEL THEIR ENERGY INDUSTRY! FREE, BREEDABLE, RENEWABLE ENERGY MERELY BY ENSLAVING A WHOLE RACE!!!

Maybe the granok will be the Exiles' secret weapon against the Dominion! Unlimited renewable energy to overwhelm the Dominion's intergalactic imperial armada!

FOR THE EXILES!!!!

/TINHATMODE DEACTIVATE
  8. Domi Dayglow

Wonder if Granok's rock-like skin (And maybe bones) is just mineral deposits in certain tissues of their bodies. That would still let them be able to bleed. Kind of like how people deposit very sense minerals in bones and teeth. Granok just do alittle extreme with it, and deposit a much dense material.
  9. Bravadorado

Bravadorado Cupcake-About-Town

Not quite. We have a very limited perspective of this universe, we have the dominion, the exiles, and the natives of Nexus. The Exiles hate the Dominion with a passion and almost certainly would not let them influence their style. And the raes of Nexus have never heard of either faction until now. So likely the only races (At least the ones we will see) that are influenced by Cassian fassion are in the Dominion, and the draken clearly aren't and I doubt the Chua are.
    Not quite, I read it all. You stating that the other race's clothing style is reminiscent of Cassian style is biased in my opinion. Why not have it that the Cassian style is very Arborian? It's better to just not give them racial labels, like I said, and call it what it is using general descriptions.

Funny, I don't remember saying anything about being you biased against the Exiles. I specifically said that:

I don't like any of the races being used as descriptor words for the rest, it implies that the descriptor race is superior to the race being described. It doesn't matter which races you are talking about, do not assume that I am being petty and specifically backing up the Exiles, please.
  10. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

Maybe their bodies excrete MAGMA!!!

I can just see it now, that poor mechari warrior who hacked open a granok's fist instantly gets a face full of MAGMA PUUUUUUNCH!!!!
    ArdentSun likes this.
  11. Steampunkette

It is a departure from the norm, I don't think that's why they did it.

I figure it's just like most other examples: The fecundity issue leads to females being larger and more active in the hunter role while the smaller males spend their time caring for the young and protecting the nest. It's also why it's not terribly common in mammals: The females tend to carry the milk-producing glands in most species. That's not to say that males don't have vestigial mammary glands, or can't in rare circumstances have functional ones: They just tend not to.

Of course... That would mean that the male Aurin would be the ones feeding the babies. *ahem*

-Rachel-
    Eluldor and Jefferson like this.
  12. Myrrdhinn

Myrrdhinn Well-Known Cupcake

<Moderator growl>Keep it calm guys! </Moderator growl>
  13. Bravadorado

Kind of like Greed from Fullmetal Alchemist, using his power to harden the carbon in his skin to diamond density.
  14. Steampunkette

I'm just gonna stop interacting, now. This argumentativeness is just ruining the overall tone of the thread, which is one of respect and intersectional and divergent viewpoints and theories on racial relations, reasonings, and interactions.

-Rachel-
  15. Bravadorado

We just have to get at it first.
    [​IMG]
    Domi Dayglow and Xlugon Pyro like this.
  16. Eluldor

What I first said "If Cassians are the dominant force in the universe, then they most likely have the dominant fashion and influence on style. We'll most likely see plenty of Cassian influenced armor and clothing for their faction.

The only really race specific fashion, outside of Cassian, I've spotted is a Draken tribal mask, posted in the female draken thread."

Now I didn't directly state that the Dominion would influence the Exiles, but I did vaguely - "dominant fashion and influence on style" - your argument here is that the Exiles would "certainly not let them influence their style". I'd say they already have to a point, but I'm not here to advance that agenda. If I was to advance this, it is all too easy to do so via lore. The humans would all have the same uniforms and clothing as they had when departing from the Dominion. They could change this afterwards, but by default it would start as the same. Another race, the Granok stole technology from the Dominion = arms and armor --> style. I'm all for the Exiles straying from the Dominion fashion though, and I'd prefer a distinct approach when compared to the Dominion's fashion.

I did stat that the Cassians will be influencing their own faction's armor and clothing, which you agree with but then depart on with specific races. Since, I've only seen low lvl in game footage, I won't argue this point based on that. I'll rest it as is, until I've played the game and see what occurs up to and through end game. I did present a very unique tribal mask with the Draken though, a much clearer example than speculations.

From a game development perspective, armor is based on the normal race (human), and then the armor sets are extrapolated to other races. This is often why large and small races have clipping problems, while the standard race does not with identical armor sets. Carbine has said that they'll make efforts to have each race equipping the same armor to appear differently. Since I haven't played the game, I won't venture off into how well that has become a reality.

To end this, I used the word "If" to begin all of that, which is basing on speculation - so best off to take it as it is (I'm just presenting various thoughts that I may agree with or not), instead of trying to force a certain view and saying you're wrong.

Ha, one hard headed kid, and maybe something I said, is enough to get you to stop interacting? :/
    ArdentSun likes this.
  17. Jefferson

Jefferson New Cupcake

Evil? I doubt there are too many Americans who think that the British were evil in the 18th century, but pretty much everyone agrees that they were the bad guys and the colonies were the good guys in the Revolution. Neither side is going to be portrayed as evil or benevolent, but the Dominion are "the man" and therefore the bad guys. For a confirmatory thought experiment, what was the last US made TV show where the bad guys were the scrappy freedom fighters? (Bonus question: how would the factions be represented if this game were made in China?)
    ArdentSun and Apostate like this.
  18. Steampunkette

Eludor: Not stop interacting with the thread or the boards. Just him. We aren't making any progress by arguing so it's better not to do so.

Jefferson: Sure. Pretty much everyone agrees that, since we won. How about the Civil War? It was another War of Independence, but the ones historically recorded as the bad guys were the ones who lost the war. How about the dozens of Wars of Independence across South America and Africa where the "Scrappy Freedom Fighters" are often viewed as horrible and terrifying throughout the revolutionary attempt and then remembered as villains after the failure of their revolutions?

There are plenty of examples throughout history for both angles. And I don't really know of any recent TV shows in China, I'm afraid! But I can tell you that much of their historical fiction (and lots of their historical recreations) involves heroes and villains (though they're not generally viewed as such) breaking China apart and putting it back together, and how either of those things can be positive or negative for the people.

Though if you're willing to go slightly outside the box on the American one: The Walking Dead. In it, the prevailing culture is one of mindless consumption and casual violence against which we have various groups of affiliated and unaffiliated freedom fighters trying to protect themselves and sometimes each other in a hostile society. However, many of those groups are actually far more cruel and violent than the greater society itself, often to the point of killing other resistance cells for their supplies or holdouts. I'll admit it's a bit of an allegorical stretch, but there is a possible example, if you enjoy them.

However, at 12 minutes and 40 seconds you've got a developer telling you that neither side is the "Good Guys" or the "Bad Guys" and I think that stands very well alongside everything previously discussed in this thread!

-Rachel-
  19. Eluldor

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. Homeland! Continuum (Canadian)! Game of Thrones! :D Please nobody go off on me here haha.

Possible Bonus Question Answer: Basing the Dominion as China, since a reoccurring theme in Chinese film/games is one that often reinforces authoritarian power and dedication to the cause above personal self interest.

The Dominion would be depicted in a similar role, with a focus on how they provide for their people, and not as out right oppressive. Features to expand on would include benefits as health care, food, housing, education, and other forms that would uplift their social views. They would seek other nations viewing them as a kinder "Empire" than the Dominion, which doesn't appear to care about the "vermin" perspective. They'd reintegrate examples of how the Dominion are the Chosen people and serving them is the best option for all.

Exiles would be depicted as a greater opposition to the State. More self-concerned people that oppose the good of all. Outlaws, thugs, hackers, criminals, enemies of the people and the like for descriptive terms. Granok may very well be depicted closer to Japanese. For example a Granok warrior drawing comparisons to a Samurai. In this viewpoint I'm making, Exile races would be depicted as nations that have had (or continue to have) bad history with China.

That's one possible view ;).
    Jefferson and ArdentSun like this.
  20. Kookieduck

Kookieduck Cupcake

oh - I thought Exile was kinda like Horde and Dominion was kinda like Alliance. Do I have it backward?