1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Racial Naming Schemes

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Cruxisinhibitor, May 19, 2013.

1. Cruxisinhibitor

Cruxisinhibitor New Cupcake

I searched before making this topic and couldn't find anything as direct as i'd like this topic to be. This topic is for those players, myself included, who enjoy immersive or RP-oriented naming schemes for their characters.

Although i can appreciate light-hearted and comical names, i just can't help but to avoid naming my own character's something off-beat to the world in which they reside. I like to identify my character(s) as beings that could realistically exist in the world and the name is a huge extension of that. Even if i don't create intricate back stories and biographies for each character, i still like them to be plausible in the world. This is a thread for those who just like realistic lore related character names. I'll give examples of my own creation to reinforce the schemes i propose.

[Schemes are open for individual embellishment, this is just supposed to be a guideline, obviously]

Known Racial NPCS:

Exile:

Granok:

Warlord Durek Stonebreaker

(From this we can assume that the Granok race uses a First-Last name scheme that is made up of a strong sounding, 1-2 syllable first name. The second name is a type of golem, rock, or earth related epithet of some sort. It's also important to note that Durek was given the surname of "Stonebreaker" based on what he did to dishonor the Granok religious traditions. It is possible that not all Granok have descriptive surnames.)

Examples:

Male: Hardel Gravelpusher
    Female: Helga Clodsplitter

Aurin:

Myala Everstar

(From this we can assume that the Aurin race uses a First-Last name scheme as well that is made up of an exotic 1-3 syllable first name. The second name seems to be a very broad space-oriented fantasy epithet. Possibly related to racial persona or profession abilities. This character may be an Esper.)

Examples:

Male: Valmio Southpaw
    Female: Ilida Darkden

Human:

Serrick Brightland

(From this we can assume that the exiled humans use a First-Last name scheme as well that is made up of a slightly altered common human first name (Serrick, Derrick) with 2 or more syllables. The last name appears to be a typical mash up of common human last names as well [Strickland, Brightland,] The human name scheme may or may not be influenced by modern steam-punk elements.)

Examples:

Male: Kason Biggsworth
    Female: Tierra Richmont

Dominion:

Mechari:

Agent Lex

(From this we can assume that the Mechari race uses a singular name with a descriptive epithet detailing duties or status among many other possibilities. The name seems to be 1 syllable and fits with the possibility of robotic shortened acronyms. As Lex was engineered by what appears to be other Mechari [ICI, apparently Mechari have little knowledge of their parent race], it can be said with a hint of certainty that this may not be the only proper naming scheme for this race.)

Examples:

Male: Assailant Tix
    Female: Operative Zya

Draken:

High Clanlord Zhur
    Huntress Kezzia

(From these we can assume that the Draken race uses a singular name with a descriptive epithet detailing duties or status among many other possibilities. The names seem to range from 1-2 syllables. The names seem to be exotic, fantasy oriented, perhaps even tribal, visceral, or brutal sounding to comply with racial persona.)

Examples:

Male: Cheiftan Galt
    Female: Sellsword Vixia

Cassian:

Tresayne Toria
    Malvolio Portius

(From these we can assume that the Cassian humans use First-Last name schemes with 1-3 syllable first names and last names. It is possible that the names may have similar letters in both first and last names, but probably not a limiting characteristic of the race. The naming scheme seems to be oriented toward a certain feeling when the name is uttered, be it bold, deceptive, what have you.)

Examples:

Male: Ralyrek Rotdan
    Female: Presea Pell

Chua:

TBA

Thanks for reading! These aren't meant to be complete analytical surveys of racial name schemes, just a way for like minded people to see what NPC names we have to compare to, have a little bit of information with each, and go from there. I realize that there is a lot of creative embellishment that could certainly work within each scheme. This was a way to organize some thoughts and ideas.

[Human names are certainly up for individual embellishment or creativity]

If you have any input, name ideas, things to add, feel free! : )

2. Maurodax

Maurodax Cupcake

Interesting read, good job with the post mate!

And i have to agree, i have a hard time aswell, i want something that fits, or if i'm lazy i go with Maurodax, but usually i try to find something that works well with what i have in mind.
    I just hate when i see a random guy and his name is XxXxXRockNRollaXxXxX8490... it makes me gag... horrible naming sense.

Verilyn and Xlugon Pyro like this.
  3. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

I lucked out with Kurik for the Draken, well besides dropping my second name for those who remember. :p

Fate Flyer and Joukehainen like this.
  4. Drasas

Drasas Well-Known Cupcake

Still really rather depressed about the lack of surnames.

5. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

Aurin, granok, and draken naming schemes as described on this list are my favorites. It's a good thing I plan on playing two of these races!

Cruxisinhibitor likes this.
  6. Yinello

Yinello Cupcake-About-Town

Granok kind of reminds me of the Dwarf names in WoW.

7. Chomag

Chomag Cupcake-About-Town

Easy.

Stone-random verb-er

8. Azhdaha

Azhdaha Cupcake-About-Town

Take these with a grain of whatever mineral you'd like, but here is a smattering of the names we've seen for Chua NPCs so far also:

How dare you! I'll have you know that that is my mother's maiden name, and the XxXxXRockNRollaXxXxX8490s are a very noble, and selfless people! They were just unfortunate enough to run into a true troll when they came through Ellis Island, I think...

9. Drasas

Drasas Well-Known Cupcake

I really don't agree with this. I am not a roleplayer, but I have played on a lot of RP-PVP servers and frankly the names there are normally better. I like servers where naming conventions are enforced. I'd rather not see Doomlored or Deathkeeaper running around the server.

Blaquknite likes this.
  10. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

It usually takes me a really long time to name a character and I guess I'm a little guilty of recycling names. At least this thread can give some people who are not in the beta some ideas of the style of how the different races are named. Even now I try to think of a name and add it to a list so I will have a lot to use when the game does open. People rarely share naming ideas before a game starts for the fear that someone will snatch up their name.

As far as obviously ..uhm...poorly spelled named like "Doomlored" and "Deathkeeaper" with various extra letters, its kind of hard to take someone seriously when they can't really spell. Even some heavy pvpers will admit that it is a little more fun to fight someone with a little personality to their name rather than just a bunch of random letters.

The are two things that I do wish Carbine would allow for when it comes to naming that haven't been displayed anywhere that I can find. We know they were going to enforce some naming restrictions.

Anyway! Two things that I would like to see Carbine allow for in naming are:

1. It would also be nice if they did something like The Secret World did before launch where players had the option to reserve three names prior to launch of the servers.

2. Allow the option to rename characters after creation. Even if its a microtransaction from a cash store.

11. Xlugon Pyro

Perhaps name reservations for pre-orders or something.

12. starspun

starspun Well-Known Cupcake

Love the effort you've put into this! I would like to point out this thread over at WildStar Roleplay as well, with several name examples collected from a variety of videos and lore articles.

Zerdav and Cruxisinhibitor like this.
  13. Cruxisinhibitor

Cruxisinhibitor New Cupcake

Thanks for the replies everyone, this was just compiled off the cuff so i had no idea something like it already existed on the RP forums. Thank you for that link, starspun! Also, a big thanks to Azhdaha for the input on the Chua naming conventions. I am really excited to hopefully help some people out, i always really appreciated threads like these when i was just getting into a new MMO. When i do some more research, ill add my spin on the Chua to the OP so it can be more current. Hopefully by Wednesday, we'll know more about them! : )

14. Discord

Discord New Cupcake

lol@having to have example Human names.....

15. Xlugon Pyro

Humans IRL have all sorts of different races and cultures with numerous languages and thus, naming conventions. Therefore, human names in any MMO can't necessarily be so obvious due to the variance in the human species. They could be completely original for all we know depending on game lore.

Cruxisinhibitor likes this.
  16. Naunet

Naunet Well-Known Cupcake

It would be wise to note that Durek received his "Stonebreaker" name when he was exiled for breaking away from the Way of Stone (or was it path? Something like that), which is a kind of near-religious practice the Granok have that emphasizes living close to the earth, keeping away from technology and other modern-world accouterments. We don't really know if Granok have surnames, or if some just earn these titles through their actions.

17. Pixie

Pixie Cupcake-About-Town

18. Maurodax

Maurodax Cupcake

I'm sure your mother is a lovely woman, but doesn't change the fact that her/your ancestor has a horrible naming sense ;)

Azhdaha likes this.
  19. H.E.L.P.eR

H.E.L.P.eR Cupcake

Very underwhelmed with the Mechari. Hopefully other naming schemes exist or im going made up brand names, software versions, or tech puns.

The Navikiller v3.2
    Ctrl And Dlt

20. Thordran

Thordran Cupcake-About-Town

I'm always curious about the whole naming thing in games. I think to figure it out properly, there's going to have to be more of a lore reveal on the various races. Names can be due to social structure, position, function in some cases and it's difficult to tell without knowing a bit more about the societies.

Eluldor and Cruxisinhibitor like this.