1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Racial snapshot theorycrafting

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by Autumnal, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Autumnal

Autumnal Cupcake-About-Town

Oooh! A nice, clean new sub-forum! Thanks, MistaMike! Let's fill it!

I was actually mulling this post over, to put in "ChitChat", but it works so much better, here.

I was pondering the debut trailer, and considering the unseen, and unknown. We were shown 3 races, only one of which is "familiar" (and if you answered anything other than "Human", I give you frowny faces).

We have our trio planetside, with no real obvious clues as to where they're from. Yes, I have full faith Carbine Studios already has a backstory for us, but until they actually give it to us, we can run amok with our imaginations.

Let's start off with the Aurin. Physically smaller than the other two races, I rather imagine that they aren't "top of the food chain" on their home planet. I envision them as an agrarian culture,strictly vegetarian, living , (at least in past generations), in communal subterranean warrens, safe from predators. I imagine this forced existence would breed in their society a socially-aware consciousness, and the development of storytelling, art, and other intellectual pursuits. Though not technologically advanced, I see them excelling in medicines and healing, with a sun-centered , nature-minded consciousness. Not worshipping the sun, per se, but symbolizing it as a life-giving positive force. "Space Buddhas" for lack of a better term. As a culture, I see them focusing on defense and evasion more than direct confrontation. Although they certainly *can* fight, if they need to, they believe that the mind is the greatest weapon of all.

The Granok, on the other hand, probably *are* the top of the food chain on their home planet. And if they're not, that's only because "*REAL* Granok only hunt things that can eat them". I see the Ancestral Ganok as nomadic tribal Hunter-Warriors, following the herds of prey. Pragmatic to a fault, as a culture, the Granok probably frown upon "wasting precious training time" on pursuits that can't be directly correlated to military enterprise. These guys are the Spartans of Space. I see a distinct military hierarchy on their home planet. Like Klingons, but without all the pomp and circumstance. Bigger is always better, but they're too clever to rely on brute strength, alone.
    I imagine a lot of bloodshed in their history, as rote and ritual. Being mercenaries is the perfect opportunity for them, like paying a Big Game Hunter to go out on the Savannah. It also gives them the opportunity to "acquire" advanced weaponry and transports that may not be native to their home world, thus highly prized. "The Best Defense is a Good Offense" is these guys. Their loyalties are measured in rank structure.

And there, smack dab in the middle, the Humans. Noisy, Chaotic, and curious to a fault, it wouldn't surprise me to find out Earth was uninhabitable in WS. We have this knack for thinking up things we can't survive. Omniviorous and opportunistic, our history speaks for itself. We are the wide-eyed children of space, touching everything. A collection of individuals, it is our individual creativity that is our strength, able to imagine, and strive for, any unrelated number of things.

And of, course, there may be many more primary races to toss into the mix. The Dominion (proper) I see as a 4th( and probably unplayable) race, the Political Masterminds. Never ones to do their own dirty work, but always pulling the marionette's strings.

So, that's my $0.02, how about yours? Theorycraft away! Let's see how close we can match up to what Carbine has for us.
    Dragor likes this.
  2. Brotoi

Brotoi Cupcake-About-Town

The Dominion, were I to truly run free, would be the parallel universe opposites of the playable races. Driven from their own reality by their corollary of the Eldan, they have crossed over into this and are seeking to replace the Wildstar universe's vanished Eldan as the most powerful alliance in this universe. Probably with the ultimate endgoal of discovering what killed of the Eldan here so they can return home and use the information gained to defeat them there.

A little convoluted, I know, but that's how my mind works.
    Autumnal likes this.
  3. Guerulent

Guerulent New Cupcake

Ukraine, Kharkiv Region, Kupyansky District
    Is that because I'm now eating someones leg?
    P.S. Grok Star Ate My Hammster
  4. ImmortalExile

ImmortalExile Cupcake-About-Town

Nice crafting there, Autumnal and Brotoi.
    I could easily see the Gronak being forced laborers for the Dominion, as such they are hardened and have an incredible hatred towards their Dominion "Masters". If this were true, I'd expect us to see some Gronak slaves held in some Dominion owned zones.
  5. .selebu

.selebu Cupcake

Well, the Dominion is a greedy legion that seeks resources and power.

It was already stated somewhere that the Aurin were cast out from their home planet by the Dominion.
    Basically all of the Exile fraction seek a new home on Nexus, the Dominion have invaded their home and either force them to be slaves or expelled them.

That's what I got from the background story so far~
  6. Dragor

Dragor Cupcake

I thought that the Gronak werent that bothered by the Dominion but join the fight, because they enjoy killing stuff :D
  7. ImmortalExile

ImmortalExile Cupcake-About-Town

More than likely... just throwing stuff out there. Haha. So much we don't know yet.... exciting, I think.
  8. Dragor

Dragor Cupcake

I would like to see something not humanoid. Like most of the races you got to play in MMO's are humanlike.
    Maybe you get to play some more animal like creatures or even totally new aliens that are nothing like anything you´ve seen before. Im voting for some spiderlike creatures :D