1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Radar, my favorite Addon isn't on Curse

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Philbe63, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Philbe63

Philbe63 New Cupcake

Nothing to do these days except get ready to pre-order as soon as it becomes available and set up my Curse addon client stuff.

But my favorite addon of all isn't there.

Radar

This addon basically shows the distance you are from lore objects (datacubes and journals) or consumable nodes (farming and gathering). It will give you an arrow to show direction and that's about it. It doesn't take mountains, rivers, walls, or anything else into account.

Now I'm sure there are some purists out there who think it's 'cheating' to use such an addon and to those nay sayers I say "PFHFHFHT!" (basically me blowing a raspberry). You don't have to use it if you don't want to but for me, the Lore Whore, I need to find everything and this is only addon I've found thus far to help me do it.

My problem is that the creator of this addon, Packetdancer, needs to submit it to Curse as it's their property (Packetdancer's). And wouldn't you know that today would be the day that Carbine took down all the Wildstar Beta Forum stuff, leaving me no venue to find Packetdancer and beg them to put their wonderful work on Curse.

Does anyone know Packetdancer or have any contact information where I can plead with them?
  2. Falkirk

Falkirk New Cupcake

I'm personally a fan of all of packets add ons, I recommend her chat log addon if you haven't tried it yet.. Simple and effective
  3. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

I'm just a fan of the old school ''Get off your lazy ass and look for those freaking data cubes, or i'll put a bomb in a place where the sun doesn't shine!!!!''........(aka no stupid addons that puts even more pointing fingers in the game.....what's next??? An arrow to show you which way you should aim to hit a boss with the biggest hit box you'll ever see?)

But that's just me :coffee:

Tried PMing Packet in here? You normally get a responce, so go PM Packet!

Edit:
    Nvm, just saw she hasn't been online in a while...
  4. Outlaw

Outlaw Cupcake-About-Town

Well, NavMate doesn't give you arrows pointing to the next closest lore, but it does show you any collectables on your mini map. It feels less like "cheating" if it's just making you more aware of what's already in your current area, instead of telling you where everything, everywhere is.

I wasn't even aware of how much lore there was lying around until I had to disable the option in Navmate's settings to reduce screen clutter. This may be a game with a new IP, but their lore team is definitely fleshing it out.
  5. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Yup, but I think other games would've had the same if they hadn't those pre excisting lore already.

Warhammer games
    WoW
    LoTR
    SW:Tor
    etc.
    etc.

Most of those already have some things that are more ''well-known'' by people and they can almost ''copie'' things.
    Indeed WS is copletely making new lore and they do a good job at it, I love the lore and it'something that grabs me......which is something that hasn't happend in a while. Only Blizzard has achieved that (with WC, SC and Diablo) and the story of Warhammer which i'm still a fan off (go Tau! For the greater good!).

But reading everything lore-related in Beta.....can be quite the pain in the ass.....specially if you find some text in a place where the mobs are higher level so you can't read it, but have to read it back from a safe spot.
  6. BlueDragon18

BlueDragon18 Cupcake-About-Town

Fortunately most of the lore you pick up (literally) and can then read in your log whenever you get around to it. I'm totally ignoring as much as I can in beta because the game will feel "newer" when we get to head start if I've not seen it before.

I do love the mini-maps add on that colors the harvestables and significant locations. Some of them are rather fiendlishly hidden.

I'd suggest waiting on your add-ons till you get into one of the betas, then going to the thread in the beta forums dealing with UI modification. There is a "catalog" of all the add-ons, as well as a great tool you can download that will install each addon for you. (Doing it manually can be a reall pain.)

It's called Mission Control. Just drag the zipped file for the addon into a box that opens up, and you're done.

This is the address for the beta forums:

https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/forum/12-protostar-black-ops/

Please note that you MUST be in one of the betas, weekend or full time in order to access this forum. You don't have to wait for the weekend if you just get weekend access. As soon as you register your weekend beta key you can access the forums. (At least so far it has worked that way.)
  7. Outlaw

Outlaw Cupcake-About-Town

Oh, I'm not interested in lore at all. Not because I was busy in beta (though I definitely was), but because I just don't care for game lore. I mostly play games just to kill all the things.

Now, I LOVE reading. If they made all the lore into a book, and it was interesting, I'd read it in a heartbeat, or at least listen to it while I'm at work. Reading is one of my favorite things to do, but not so much when I'm trying to game...unless it's helping me kill things better.
  8. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Someone just broke my heart....:cry:
  9. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

Petition for the Wildstar Codex!

Written by the Eldan themselves! Inked in chua blood and bound in the bones of a granok! Or order it digital, where it's written in leftover mechari code.
    Mougwee and Miatog like this.
  10. Philbe63

Philbe63 New Cupcake

I was lucky enough to get weekend beta accesses for the past few weeks and this past weekend on a friend's account (That's how I get the nifty pic of Alexandria as my avatar). I know all about Mission Control and addons, but I doubt that's still going to the way of things once we get into Pre-Order Beta goodness.

Navmate does point out lore objects but it doesn't say if it's above or below you sometimes.

I love, love, love the lore in this game. So friggin' awesome. And just getting in on the ground floor of something this good makes me want to squeal. I never got into the lore of WoW or SWTOR because it goes back so long and I always felt like I was trying to catch up to a train I'd missed.
  11. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Yup, that's true. It's hard to get into lore that has already run since ages (WC1 player myself so no problem for me).

That's another great thing about WS in difference of some of the other MMO's out there. Lots of them already have ''some sort'' of pre excisting lore. While WS is completely new, and so far they've done a more then great job in creating that lore.

What part about the lore (future lore) is most interesting to you, if I may ask?
  12. Philbe63

Philbe63 New Cupcake

One thing that I value more than anything else when it comes to writing is getting emotionally vested in the subject matter. I don't want to spoil anything for anyone but there was a bit of lore concerning the Modresh outbreak that was, in a word, riveting.

Then there was another little bit of something that struck my funny bone so hard. Again without going into too much detail, let's just say that not every goodbye note is a love letter to the person who sent you on the mission.

The Tales from Beyond the Fringe are really my white whale. You can't unlock the comic book style lore without collecting all the parts. That's why I have to have Radar to help me. Even still there are pieces that have eluded me. I have suggested to Carbine to at least number the pieces so when I finally admit I can't find that one part, I can at least turn to my fellow gamers for help. Right now, there's no way of knowing the area I might have skipped.

And DATACUBES! It's like finding the voice recordings in a Bioshock (or it's predecessor System Shock). Hearing the voices of the Eldan and their grand plans help to understand the flora or fauna of the area. It also shows us that they aren't any better or less petty than us 'lesser' beings.

The amount of work that has gone into all the lore is just as important to me as the graphics or the gameplay interface.
    Kataryna and BlueDragon18 like this.
  13. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

......you aren't even trying.....me no like you anymore :(

*Spoiler*

This is how you could've done it.....anyway my favorite part was when you help Toric Antevian and you kinda are present at the beginning of the ''mechanical betrayel'' by someone who was dear to him. But that may be part of my love for Toric. But the opponents just look awesome with those eldan tech in them! You know that quest chain in Ellevar that goes on in Whitevale etc.
    *End spoiler*
  14. ImpactHound

ImpactHound Cupcake-About-Town

Is it possible to not see data cubes? they're literally at every major quest hub or where you're killing the mobs from said quest hub. If you do every mission and can see the color green, you should be set.

data pads on the other hand are a little slippery. If not for the gear icon a lot of these would be extremely well hidden.
  15. BlueDragon18

BlueDragon18 Cupcake-About-Town

Data cubes are sometimes behind locked doors that only scientists (or explorers) can open. Some of those out in the "open" are fiendlishly hidden in tiny areas that look as if nothing is there, so, no, many are not at "quest hubs".

I must admit that finding the hidden ones has often been a pleasant surprise.
    Kataryna likes this.
  16. ImpactHound

ImpactHound Cupcake-About-Town

that's a good point, I forgot the one in the Celestion augmentation facility's explorer door. After playing settler I forgot that existed.
  17. Philbe63

Philbe63 New Cupcake

I have missed some datacubes and journals. Sometimes there is a rather unpleasant thing in the way or numerous things. Also patrolling goons can sometimes impede my search. I learned early on one of my Engineer iterations that if you are spelunking for lore, you might want to dismiss the bots or at least put them on defense stance.

What's really helpful as a scientist is the scan bot. Most of the time they can glide past any mob and scan a datacube for me without triggering a fight.

......you aren't even trying.....me no like you anymore :(

HEART BROKEN!!! :(
  18. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

19. tyranade

tyranade Cupcake

Packetdancer is a member of Wildstar Central. Have you tried to start a conversation with her? Look her
    up in the members list.
  20. Slyndria

Slyndria Cupcake-About-Town

This is a great great add on for you lore nuts out there!