1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Random Kat Asks: Musical WS Wednesday Edition:

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kataryna, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

in honor of getting wonderful music today for Wildstar Wednesday, our Random Kat Asks Question is as follows:

What is your favorite style of music?

Classical, Rock, Country, list 'em all!

Personally I'm all over the place in my musical tastes.
    I listen to: Country - hubby got me into it, hard rock/heavy metal - my children fall asleep to the likes of Metallica in the car!!, classical - from my band days, Jazz - the sound of a jazz flute is awesome! lots more than that but there's a start.
    Fate Flyer likes this.
  2. Durus

Durus Cupcake

My tastes are very eclectic, ranging from Jazz and New Age to Punk and Classical. Really, I'll listen to anything including anything from the album "Faith, Trust, and Pixie Dust." (my daughter's current fav travel music). However, country is one thing I tend to shy away from.

Some of my personal favorites:

Hendrix's May This Be Love
    Holst's The Planets
    The Cowboy Bebop Soundtrack
    Just about any Gaelic Storm and Chieftain's album
  3. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

Similar to Durus, I cannot say I like a particular genre above all others. I usually like songs or albums over bands. For example, I hate nearly all Coldplay, but I love the song "Till Kingdom Come" written and sung by them.

Of the top of my head, here are my favorite artists/songs/albums:
    Angels and Airwaves - We don't need to Whisper
    Zac Brown Band (almost all of their songs)
    Classic Rock
    U2
    some Rap
    WildStar music (obviously)
    How to Train your Dragon Soundtrack

I'm out of ideas already...
    Kataryna likes this.
  4. Azzurri

Azzurri Podcaster

R&B and Hip Hop
    Electric Dance Music.
  5. Yakzan

Yakzan "That" Cupcake

I don't really have a favorite genre, but maybe some that appeal to me more often than others do. I'll list a few groups that I've had a thing for the past few years:

Rush
    The Protomen
    Arjen Lucassen's projects (Ayreon, Star One, Guilt Machine, solo projects (Most recently Lost in the New Real)
    Pain of Salvation
    The various works of Frank Klepacki (C&C, Emperor: Battle for Dune, etc)

I could go on but this is more or less what I've been listening to.
  6. ObliviousPrime

ObliviousPrime "That" Cupcake

I don't have a favorite genre I listen to a lot of music from different countries (India and some from S. Korea and Japan). However I am not into some types of rap and heavy metal.

Usually I listen most to Arabic music, some old blues, jazz, funk & rock and roll as well as classical music.
    Also the music of John Williams, Hans zimmer and Howard shore.

recently I am really liking the music of Imagine Dragons.
  7. Kirathis

Kirathis Cupcake-About-Town

I like a lot of different stuff but it tends to be more of a case by case basis than a specific genre. Gothic metal is probably the genre I listen to the most. I also really like a lot of instrumental music from Japan and China.

Here are a few bands I like.

Lacuna Coil - my favorite band
    We Are the Fallen
    Within Temptation
    Redlight King
    Shinedown
  8. Ender

Ender Well-Known Cupcake

I also don't really have a favorite genre, though I tend to listen to a lot of musicals and Disney/cartoon music.
    I also quite enjoy listening to some classical, having grown up playing cello and being brought for various classical concerts and operas.

Other than that, it's currently probably mostly some sort of rock and variations of this, in the lighter end. Some of the bands/artists I listen to at the moment are:

OK Go
    Kimbra
    Queen
    The Ark

But yeah, mostly a bunch of musicals, so I should probably list a few of those. Stuff like
    Les Mis
    Wicked
    Aida (the musical, though the Opera is quite nice too)
    Chess
    Jesus Christ Superstar
    The Phantom of the Opera
    Atlantis (Danish musical)

and soundtracks from various Disney movies, Tangled, Princess and the Frog, Mulan, Oliver and Co, The Lion King.
  9. Scooter

Scooter Carbine Studios

You forgot Carly Rae Jepsen.
  10. Azzurri

Azzurri Podcaster

Ok, and some POP music.
  11. Aheadache

Aheadache Well-Known Cupcake

Rock \ Classic Rock \ Alternative and Classical music.
    ~ Long time Pearl Jam fan ~ all time fav song is Yellow Ledbetter ~ took to heart when I returned from the first Gulf War.
    ~Very much including Canon Rock
    ~ Any thing with violinist like Ed Busking Chester
  12. ruff_ethereal

ruff_ethereal Well-Known Cupcake

Punk, Metal, Rock and their variants; Dubstep, Electrohouse, Moombah, and Electroswing; most everything from the Bronies. I love those guys.
  13. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

14. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

I listen to a lot of different genres including, Rock, Hip-Hop, Classical, J-Rock, and some Dubstep to list a few. Here are some of my favorite artists and composers.

Blackmill
    Breaking Benjamin
    Joe Hisaishi
    Lacuna Coil
    Maximum the Hormone
    Mobb Deep
    Nobuo Uematsu
    Queen
    Styx
    Woodkid
    Yoko Kanno
    Fate Flyer likes this.
  15. imrevned

imrevned Cupcake

I just listen to what I like to be honest xD

Uhh.. I have some weird attraction to singers that have a high-pitch voice, so be prepared XD

Some bands I like:
    A Lot Like Birds
    Damien Verrett (he is in a couple of groups, The Speed of Sound in Seawater, So Much Light, and Mansion Closets)
    Nevershoutnever (not too fond of his very "cutesy" songs xD, he inspired me to play guitar when I was younger though because I like his songs and they were simple and easy to play)
    My Chemical Romance
    Panic! At The Disco (grew up on these guys, started listening to them in 4th grade, never actually paid attention to their lyrics in, lol)
    Of Mice and Men
    Memphis May Fire
    Anthony Green
    Circa Survive
    Mylets (new guy I just discovered, really like his stuff, very experimental)
    Good Old War

I really like acoustic music as I play acoustic guitar myself, and I also like experimental/indie music. Math rock for example.
  16. Gray

Gray Podcaster

Sure why not - I'm currently coding anyway.

Primarily listen to rock though the term gets looser and looser.

I have two favorite bands: Pearl Jam and Led Zeppelin. (Aware Led zep is classified as metal or heavy to some)

I have seen Pearl Jam in concert 9 times to date and I wish I could go back in time to attend a led zep concert taking place between 69-72.
    I think what stands out to me about the two are their frontmen. Eddie Vedder and Robert Plant are exceptional beings. As musicians, the rest of who makeup Led Zeppelin are all at the top of their crafts. Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones and John Bonham.

I almost got to meet Jonesy once. It was when he was touring in Them Crooked Vultures. I would have certainly been star struck.

I love blues, too.

Here's a handful of my favorite songs:

Led Zeppelin - What is & what should never be
    Pearl Jam - Hard to Imagine (I edited out yellow ledbetter because Aheadache totally nabbed that one)
    Taj Mahal - Corrina, Corrina
    Radiohead - Paranoid Android
    Pink Floyd - Shine on you crazy diamond
  17. Deltre

Deltre Cupcake-About-Town

If I'm at home or work it's normally chill music, like Pretty Lights and the such.

If I'm at the gym I prefer anything harder, such as metal or hardstyle.

And if I'm out on the town I'm all about edm, preferably electro-house. Unfortunately the raves here kinda blow, but I went to a good few when I was stationed out in Cali and was able to make it to the first EDC Vegas. That was friggin epic.
  18. Mateus

Mateus New Cupcake

I listen to almost anything that has a hint of rock, metal, pop, folk or electronic. But my favorite genre is Post-Hardcore (but the "Storytelling" side of the genre, if you know what I mean), and the bands I usually listen to are:

La Dispute, Bring Me The Horizon, Pearl Jam, The Bunny The Bear, Defeater, Led Zeppelin, Circa Survive and some Brazilian artists like Cicero, Seu Jorge and Los Hermanos.
  19. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Carbine Studios

KE$HA!!!!!!!!!! Hahahahahaha!!! :)

I actually love a lot of different kinds of music and genres. Rock, Jazz, Bluegrass, Pop, Musical Theater, Opera, Classical, Electronica, Folk....I'm not CRAZY about country music, but I definitely respect the genre, and honestly, some fantastic songwriters are in the country genre.
    Fate Flyer and Kataryna like this.
  20. Thalidor

Thalidor New Cupcake

I mostly like instrumentals. I listen to a lot of Nobuo Uematsu and Joe Hisaishi.

For songs you might actually hear on the radio, I have been on a pretty big Imagine Dragons kick. Of Monsters and Men is good. Then I'll choose the unpopular choice, but yes...I like Coldplay. I get made fun of endlessly for it, but I like them a lot...:whistling: