1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Random Kat Asks: Words

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kataryna, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

So, I know I've not been making nearly as many of my threads as I used to, there's just not that many questions left to ask that I've not asked already! I mean, seriously, I have 27 questions (29 including Twitter questions) AND one thread on my cookies and one thread on my drinks! But I keep getting asked by a few people "Where's the next Random Kat Asks Question? When's it coming?" That answer is NOW! I keep reading threads and seeing people use silly words - some words that I hate, some words that they obviously use waaaay too much.

So today's topic is just that WORDS! So, Questions Questions Questions!

What is your least favorite word, and WHY?
    What is your most favorite word, and WHY?
    What word should you stop using as much as you do?

Ok, Ok, I know, I can't really ask you guys questions without answering them myself, so here we go:

Least Favorite Word: Mouth. My dad would tell me and my sisters, when we were talking back to him, "Quit being a MOUTH!" It just sounds weird, and annoys me now. Have you ever just said that word before?? Mouth. Mouth. It just...YUCK!

Most Favorite Word: Would have to be the French word Pamplemousse. Translation to English - Grapefruit. It just sounds fun :)

Word I apparently should stop using: "Apparently" Apparently I use it way too often, LOL!

Lsya, Zinn and Dysp like this.
  2. Dedlaw

Dedlaw Cupcake-About-Town

Mmmm, lets see:

Least favourite word would have to be <REDACTED>, because it just sounds so vulgar.
    Most favourite word would have to be <REDACTED>, I mean c'mon, who does't like it?
    Word I should be stop using as much? Mmmmm. Probably <REDACTED>. Seems to pop up all the time.

:p

Xlugon Pyro likes this.
  3. Nicodemus

Nicodemus Well-Known Cupcake

I really hate any words used in ignorance/ intolerance. but the one word that really ticks me off is retarded. many people do not truly know how that word can hurt or sting, and use it so flippantly. that could be said with tons of words, but retarded hits hard for me.

Lately the word: plebeian.
    it just works and it feels so fun to act snootie when saying, raising my nose in the air. I try to put it in my vernacular everyday, even if it doesn't fit.

More like a phrase : don't chu know. sadly chu has replaced you sometimes in my speech.
    Very much like bobby's mom in Bobby's World

4. Xecks

Xecks Cupcake-About-Town

least favorite word is <REDACTED>. the word for gay people that is bad.
    favorite word is boobies. i know . im terrible.
    word i should stop using so much? boobies.

5. Destrin

Destrin Cupcake

Least farvorite words:
    "Expecially" and "Aks" because they are not real words but I hear them used every damn day. Please fix this education system.
    Favorite word:
    Would have to be <REDACTED>. Because it can be used for almost every part of speech. i.e. "<REDACTED> the <REDACTED>ing <REDACTED>ers"

I should probably stop using the word "word" as a greeting or acknowledgement.

6. Dysp

Dysp Cupcake-About-Town

Least Favorite: (other than most slurs) got ...It's one of those simple words I can use in the place of many others words, and I feel like in doing so demonstrates a lack of erudition.

Favorite: ketchup ..just silly word that can be used in the phrase "plain ketchup" => "playing catch up".

To stop using: kinda ...Kinda use this too much. :mad:

7. Zenatsu

Zenatsu Cupcake-About-Town

Favorite word: Flabbergasted
    You're flabbergasted by the word itself. Oh English

Hated word: Statistics
    I, to this day still, can never properly pronounce it on the first go. I always add an 's', as to say (Stuh-stis-sticks)

8. Dargenus

Dargenus Cupcake-About-Town

Least favorite word: pathetic. It really says something about how our society looks at people. Generally, those who use that word are worse than those to whom they apply it.

Most favorite word: declension. It's relevant to my original language, but I never knew there was an actual English word for it. it sounds funny, too.

Word I should stop using: according to my potential boyfriend, sorry. And I am not even Canadian, he is.

9. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

Let's see here...

It's actually a series of words because none of them bothers me more than another. They are equality, bigot, and ignorance. There are others that are similar to these that also grate me, but these are the biggest three.

Often these words are used by people who later prove to be massive hypocrites who also fail to use these words accurately or use them only to slander others without actually engaging in intellectual discussion. Obviously not everyone abuses these words, but so many I've met have that just hearing them puts me in red alert and throws my bullsheeit firewall up. The meanings of these words are often misconstrued and never closely analysed by the people who use them, which has led me to be cautious around those who throw these words and others like them around like candy.

In short, I find these words used frequently by feeble-minded people so I cringe when I hear them for fear of what's to come. Just thinking about these words gives me a headache. XD

This changes frequently, but right now it's facetious. I've been needing to find a word that exemplifies non-serious comments or statements that aren't necessarily meant to be humorous or sarcastic. Often I make comments like these but I hadn't been able to explain what I was doing because I didn't have the appropriate vocabulary to explain it. Now I know, so I can now tell people when I am being facetious, which is often. :)

Probably any profanities. I swear too much and they don't offer anything substantive to conversation. Also, it just doesn't look good to others. However I doubt I'll kick the habit anytime soon. :p

There ye have it.

10. Revon

Revon Well-Known Cupcake

-Tampon. Just... No. Why. It's a nasty enough an object on itself, and the word for it just sounds so awkward.

-I'm with Zenatsu on this - gotta be flabbergasted. Why? I just really love how it looks and sounds. And the mental image of a flabbergasted face adds as well ;)

-F*cking. I swear too much, especially if I'm frantically explaining something. English isn't my native language and I've started to put "f*cking" into my sentences whenever I can't think of the right word to use next right away, sigh... Verbally only. When i'm typing I have enough time to think of my words properly before hitting enter. Also probably "joo" (finnish equivalent of "yeah"), I'm a bit socially awkward and I've never got the hang of small talk or conversations with strangers, so I just tend to nod and repeat "joo" as a reply to everything someone says, because I can't for the life of me think of anything else to say.

11. Blankspace

Blankspace WTB Fun Forum Title

Officer (because most of them I had in the military were really craptastic).
    Any version of the F-word with any other word crammed together
    Derp or Yolo. Because wtf.

12. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Well-Known Cupcake

• Mate. I hate it because people who don't even come from the places where the term is used to describe friends use it on a regular basis and if I was your mate, you'd be pregnant.
    • Don't have one so no explanation why it is my favorite.
    • I have a pretty large vocabulary so I don't think I overuse any particulars words. +1 for my fellow geniuses.

13. Konoko

Konoko Cupcake-About-Town

14. Zinn

Zinn Cupcake-About-Town

Random use of profanity and vulgarity used for no reason but to sound cool or shock people. To me it sounds so young, juvenile, and stupid. While occasionally profanity can very descriptive of ones feelings more often than not it is just lazy speech, sounds ignorant and designed to offend.

I am not sure I have one. But we have been taking care of our friends 11 year old for years on holidays and such and she loves to use the word antidisestablishmentarianism as its the longest word in the dictionary. she does no wrong in my eyes so her word wins. I have been trying to her to use the word Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia which is the fear of long words but she is resistant to using it not to mention no one can pronounce it. I personally like the word humdinger and try to use it as much as possible.

There really is no specific word I believe I should not use. My problem like most people is to stop and take a breath before speaking and avoid saying something stupid. I am a firm believer that success in life often revolves around in not what you say but in what you don't say. Often peoples mistaken or stupid comments carry far more weight or are more memorable than many of the good things they say. When I was younger I said many things I still regret 30+ years later. Avoiding the temptation to say something stupid can often be a challenge. My goal has always been to say less, listen more than more and avoid the temptation to talk to much. I think this is always a skill we can all improve upon.

15. Lsya

Lsya Cupcake-About-Town

C**t...yes there's a U and N in there. I hate that word! There are various other words that have similar meanings, but that particular word I despise. Why? I think it just sounds disgusting and extremely vulgar. I cannot think of a single instance in a sentence where that word does not sound disgusting.

I think my favorite word is "Plethora." It just rolls off of the tongue so nicely. I love it. Why? In meetings at work, I'll often throw it in. Such as, someone will say something; and I'll say, "So...would you say you have a plethora of...blah blah blah?" They'll all look at me with that WTF face. :) And yes...I got that from a movie originally. I just can't remember which one it is. But, I love using that word. It really throws people off.

I need to stop using F**k. I picked it up in the military years ago. I really have to catch myself at work, and make myself not say it sometimes.

When I was in my early military days (about 21yrs old) I went home on leave. I was talking to my mom about something, and I said "blah blah blah....f**k that....blah blah blah."

The look on her face killed me. She called me by my complete name and chewed me out like I was 5 again. I felt so bad for saying that in front of her. To this day, I still don't like saying it; but I do. It just naturally flows out. I really need to clean up my language. When I said that in front of her it was 33 years ago. I still feel bad about that.

People! Do NOT disrespect your mother. You will regret it forever.

Kataryna likes this.
  16. Pyaray

Pyaray Former Carbine Alumni

I haven't answered a Random Kat post in quite a while...
    There/Their/They're, because I always use the wrong ones, and it bugs me. To/Too/Two is right up there.

Defenestration, because the fact they needed a single word for it fascinates me.

I use "naughty" words far too often.

Extatica likes this.
  17. Sera Serenity

Sera Serenity Cupcake-About-Town

Least favourite: "it", especially sentences begin with "it", "it" is so ambiguous, undefined and lazy to use.

Favourite word: well, going to go with "cellar-door", the way in which the word flows off the tongue (especially with a UK annunciation), sounding both English yet at the same time almost French....

What word should you stop using: hummmm .... not sure, I will have to ask my friends what word I use to much...

18. Arawulf

Arawulf Owner of WildStarFans.net

Fail. The word is used far too often as a noun and synonym for "something I don't like".

Eucatastrophe. It was coined by J.R.R. Tolkien and signifies a sudden and unexpected turn for the better (as opposed to 'catastrophe' which is the sudden and unexpected turn toward the worse.)

I say "awesome" far too often. I need to expand my vocabulary a bit.

19. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

There is no such thing as too much awesome! Stay awesome, my friend!!!

Arawulf likes this.
  20. zekkdarklighter

zekkdarklighter Cupcake

Least favorite word?
    Really hard to think of a single word rather than full statements... I guess YOLO is currently the one that makes me shake my head the most nowadays. It's supposed to encourage people to do something incredibly stupid to claim that you have done it, but in fact "You Only Live Once" should honestly do the exact opposite and warn people against unnecessary risks...

Most favorite word?
    Currently, derp. It's just a fun, simple word. And I tend to do derpy things often, so I derp a lot.

Word I need to use less?
    Probably 'cool'. I say it every time I can't think of a better description for something I like, but don't think is is quite to the 'awesome' stage. It's just cool...