1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Ranged Tanking, is it Possible?

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by BlindSear, Apr 23, 2013.

1. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

There's been a lot of speculation of one of the classes being an engineer with a rifle, and having a tank spec. If the engineer is a cannon or rifle wielding class, and a "ranged tank." First a "true" ranged tank would be one which is able to tank or partially tank from a distance. This means that the tank keeps a buffer zone between it and the enemies. This would not mean a normal melee tank that is able to attack with a ranged weapon.

There are some issues with "true" ranged tanking mechanics of course. First, ranged tanking likely means some sort of kiting involved, which is a pain for the rest of the party to deal with. To reduce kiting, the tank would have to be a pet-type class, which with the telegraph system it's unlikely to happen.

Edit: Since WS combat is already movement heavy, kiting is no longer an issue for ranged tanking. MDPS will surely be used to constant movement while fighting due to normal gameplay. Sorry for this oversight.

With this and having 40 man raid system allows for a dedicated range tank, that is just the same as a RDPS with defensive abilities. The raids will certainly have at least one of these so entire raid bosses could be ranged tanking only.

It would be interesting to see something that was buff heavy that were strong, short buffs, and have a remote taunt as a gap filler. Something where the tank uses its buffs until they're all on cool-down, then makes an illusion (or sends out a drone or something) which taunts enemies at it instead of the tank. A similar possibility if the tank had a knock-back mechanic attached to its weapon, possibly buffed by its support stat.

Another possibility for a "ranged tank" would be one that set up an environment with traps, and to keep it interesting and fast paced this would be done on the fly while kiting. The traps aren't necessarily just snares and damage, they could also be debuffs which reduces damage or increase of damage taken.

The last idea I had was where a tank would create a hologram copy which would move the same as him or her. The hologram would be put in front of the tank a certain distance (10-20m) and would always run to the spot directly ahead of where the tank was looking. To keep from abusing this mechanic, the hologram's speed would be limited to the speed of the tank. It would also dodge when the tank dodged and jump/double jump at the same time. The tank could take reduced damage from the hologram, and at some point the hologram would be destroyed which would cause the tank to be seriously gimped. This would be like a tanking pet class, but the movement is based on the tank, not on its own.

Those were the only three possibilities I could come up with for a true ranged tank instead of a melee tank with a ranged weapon. I'd like to hear thoughts on this, or other ideas for ranged tanking.

*edit
    SPOILERS! The general consensus points to no "true" ranged tank due to lack of needing it with the telegraph system.
    Domichi and Yinello like this.
  2. Soylentgreen

Soylentgreen Well-Known Cupcake

I picture it just being a melee tank that uses a gun, but would be the "go to guy" for kiting. I figure every tank will have their specialty niche but be overall viable.
  3. Yinello

Yinello Cupcake-About-Town

I figure a ranged tank would have way more crowd control but less damage absorption than a melee tank. They could snare a monster in place and shoot a smoke bomb towards a party member so that the monster stops hitting them.
  4. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

But if the tank is made for kiting, it would be hard to balance for normal melee tanking.
  5. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

Or he could use the rifle in a more shotgun manner.
  6. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

As explained by the other guy ;)
    So a normal tank could do the trick, but the kiting tank would be better for the job.
  7. Soylentgreen

Doesn't have to be "made" for kiting just have some extra abilities that help with it so he'd be the logical choice if you have one around but wouldn't make it a necessity.
  8. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

So... they can do the exact same job as the other tanks but have a couple extra abilities to make them better at kiting? What makes people play the other tanks then? That's what I mean by hard to balance. They'd have to be gimped in some way to make up for the extra abilities. Maybe they'll just be DPS up until the point they are needed for a fight. Forever off tank?
  9. Soylentgreen

Well like I said earlier I picture every tank having a niche but being overall viable. Stalkers might be better at shield regen tanking or avoid a certain kind of damage, while Warriors with the higher armor might have a more smooth damage intake and tank mobs that attack through shields better than the others.
  10. Yinello

Yinello Cupcake-About-Town

Girl fyi :p

It all depends on the fight itself but I doubt that a ranged tank would take a backseat towards a melee tank. Both can be viable in a fight if they use their skills well. A ranged tank would need to time their traps right, just like a melee tank needs to time its defensive shield (I'm making <REDACTED> up but you get the gist) right. Their tactics may be different but the result is the same.
  11. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

So, you're thinking he's just going to be a melee tank with a ranged weapon then?
  12. Soylentgreen

Yes.
  13. Phoenix

Phoenix Cupcake

In my experience with ranged tanks, they tend to be melee tanks with more than the normal amount of ranged abilities. This usually made them good for grabbing up adds since they can grab them easier. But in single boss fights, they would just melee range tank most of the time.

Edit: A good example of this is the Vanguard/Powertech classes in SWTOR. A lot of their major threat abilities were melee range, but they also have two taunts that are both ranged, a single target and an aoe taunt.
  14. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

Trooper tanking was a lot of fun.
    Khrusky likes this.
  15. Doomgrin

Doomgrin Cupcake-About-Town

With the telegraph system, kiting to a certain degree is going to be constant. A tank is going to have a very tough time positioning mobs when they constantly have to be moving around to avoid telegraphs. I honestly believe the SWTOR Vanguard trooper style would work very well in this system. He had lots of damage mitigation, nice threat from range, both a charge and a pull, and other fun things.
    Afrotech likes this.
  16. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

It's all based on the boss to be honest, if the boss is ranged a ranged tank would work, but even in SW:TOR (as it's been said already) you just ended up standing there nuking melee mobs because you didn't need to run away.
  17. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

I agree. Can't think of another way to implement a true ranged tank.
  18. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

So, with the telegraph system, some movement is unavoidable, but I think one difference between a good tank and a bad tank in WS will be keeping mobs from moving as much. Though it depends on how Carbine decides to do it.
  19. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

First question is yes.

Many don't like kiting or can't kite effectively and prefer melee or ranged

It's not hard to balance at all. Tanking is all about controlling the fight. Give your tanks the proper tools for how they tank and it's done. A ranged tank would rely heavily on CC as Yinello said. They would be a "light" tank, for lack of a better descriptive. They don't want to get hit so they have to control how the mob moves. The stalker doesn't want to get hit either but controls the fight through his movement. The Mob stays in one spot but is spinning around looking for the stalker. A Warrior is what he is. Throws his beer can and stogie in the mobs face and says "here I am sunshine!" and then taunts and aggravates while mitigating damage.

Obviously that's simplified but the point is still the same. Each Tank controls the fight but in a different manner. I don't see a balance problem as they all go about it differently.
  20. azmundai

azmundai Well-Known Cupcake

Im amazed we still don't have any MMOs with a real ranged tank. Sure it's harder to design, but a boss should be talented enough to do an appropriate amount of damage to a tank standing 30 meters away with spells or guns or throwing rocks .. or something.
    Mudfin likes this.