1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Ranged Tanking, is it Possible?

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by BlindSear, Apr 23, 2013.

1. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

The big difference with Wildstar is it looks like the tank is also going to be moving around a fair bit. This means the ranged tank will be more likely to utilize it's "at ranged" abilities more often. But yes, I think we'll see certain tanks emerge as better for certain fights, and due to there being a 40 man and 20 man raiding environment, it will be necessary and expected for each raid size to have at least 1 of each type of tank.
    plic70 likes this.
  2. Warruz

Warruz Cupcake

I just hope it doesnt go to far in that direction. Tanks should have areas that they excel it , but i dont want to see something like how it was in BC with paladin tanks.
  3. Jarinolde

Jarinolde Cupcake-About-Town

Like how nobody cared to have them, and if they did have them, they were the offtanks? Then suddenly Hyjal trash happened and EVERYONE WANTED ONE. The Wrath of the Lich King launched and then Paladin tanks became gods.
  4. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

So, i just skimmed this but...

I played a ranged tank in tsw CB for a long time, (Back when the community was a bit more lenient on builds)

And I Have to say a ranged tank with a gun can work, I exploited the Dodge stat and kiting technique, but i'm sure there is a host of viable ways to do it.

As for not working well with the telegraph system.....The <REDACTED> I had to do with tsw's "telies" as a ranged tank pales before anything ive seen in ws. It can be challenging.
  5. Warruz

Warruz Cupcake

Yeah prty much that lol

Having different tanks is all well and good you just have to set a high baseline for tanks so they cant be to different like other roles. Otherwise one becomes the defacto tank and others are seen as lesser tanks except for specific fights.
    Mellkor likes this.
  6. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

I have a feeling since there's fewer classes and only the potential for 3 tanks (total) that we won't see one tank that's "the tank" and the others are "crappy versions of 'the tank' ." I think there will be some fights which some tanks are good at and some which others are (for raiding), this forces every raid group to have every type of tank. But, since there's only 20 man and 40 man sizes, this isn't a huge burden on the group, as it could have been with only 10 players.
  7. binzer

binzer Cupcake

I don't see why this has to be an either or scenario. It makes sense that on different fights, a "ranged" tank would truly be ranged, and other times, "melee". If a boss has the ability to cast ranged spells, it's not going to care if you're across the room, and you should still be able to shoot at it happily from across afar (an option the other tanks wouldn't have). If you're fighting a giant golem that wants to step on your face, you're probably going to have a hard time keeping it at bay. Sure, there will probably be some abilities to help you stay ranged, but too many would be overpowered (and feel unrealistic).

Maybe there will be some fights that are slightly easier if you can tank from range (to avoid telegraphed spells or whatever) and others encounters that make melee tanking more effective. I think the differences will be slight however, and depending on what tank you play, it will probably take more or less skill to master certain fights, but overall all, they'll still be very doable. During one of the presentations at a conference (in a dungeon) it was mentioned that teams have to adapt their playstyle to their team composition to make it work (the specific example compared a fairly stationary tank to a mobile avoidance tank, which might take less damage, but is harder to heal). So basically, it seems like we can adapt our game to our composition, and not the other way around (and that's a good thing!). I'm sure there will be min/max exceptions, but it's only possible to attain so much perfection.
  8. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

So, the issue comes down to balancing it in so that the tank is better for some fights but not better for all fights. If it tanks equally well on "normal melee" fights as a normal melee tank, then you get the whole Vanilla WoW thing, where certain classes weren't allowed to play certain roles. But basically that, except balance them to be slightly worse at something like fights that are heavy on movement and melee. That way when they're undeniably easier on ranged fights, you still have a reason to bring along a stalker or warrior (or both) tanks, and players that pick those tanks aren't just "wrong."

In a dungeon setting, exactly what you said though.