1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Recruitment thread bumping

Discussion in 'Guilds, Circles and Warparties General' started by Bisqquit, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Carebear Commander

Carebear Commander Cupcake-About-Town

Normally, I just lurk here. But I wanted to show my support for this idea.
  2. Heapsgood

Heapsgood Cupcake

I have suggested this just recently and 2 months ago as well. Splitting the recruitment forums up would be such a great improvement. ;)

+1
  3. Darkace

Darkace Cupcake

Splitting up the threads sounds good to me. Im still looking around for the right guild. Being able to go straight to the EU guild section , then the Exile section would put me right where I want to be looking very quickly. It makes more sense.

Just a though as well , wouldnt it be much easier to start up these new forums and just lock down the old ones. Forget transfering info over. Let the guilds re post. Considering it sounds like the issue is guilds bumping and posting to often it shouldnt cause them to much of an issue to actyually re post in the new forum and then follow whatever rules are laid out about bumping.
  4. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Even the Pope supports this:
    [​IMG]
    Kataryna likes this.
  5. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

If I wanted to make this an issue about one guild, I would've named you, trust me. However as you're a relatively new guild, you're more a victim of circumstance, up against 100 other guilds all trying to stay on the front page. Back when there was less guilds, it was more relaxed. Bumping every couple of days when you hit the 3rd page. Actually, the biggest form of recruitment was done on the general and other forums. Just interacting with other people, finding a thread on raiding or pvp and talking to people with similar interests.

It's good that there are so many guilds, all eager to recruit, and I hope that the number grows ten-fold. I'd just like to see it a little more organised.

Personally, I can't wait for the server names to get released. It's when a game becomes real for me. That said, it may be a while off yet and even when they are released people might still like to stay under a general "EU/US" "PvP/PvP" to attract a wider base before the game is released. I know a lot of guilds dont pick the servers they are rolling on till the last minute for various reasons.

While it would solve a few problems, these guild threads have a lot of history and flavour. Destroying that wouldn't go down well with the various communities.
  6. Mantard

Mantard New Cupcake

I agree the forums need to be split, at least between Exiles, Dominion and undecided at the very least! I myself am guilty of bumping a lot during the day, but as stated, so many guilds are doing it, so it's either join them or fall to the third or forth page in a heart beat. Having the threads split a bit, would most certainly help with this.
  7. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

I'm actually on board with this idea. Will take it to Zap, as I've seen gRecruit forums become more of a rush to get the topspot and get main forum click-throughs.

The issue comes when you're trying to differentiate behind a legitimate enquiry (without taking up the bump count) and a bump, then on top of that if the 'legitimate' post isn't just a new account setup by the same guys.

It's one of the flaws of time based visibility. There's no perfect solution (Reddit's voting system is infinitely worse).

Bisquit, you're comparing the values of a small community (which we were) against the far larger one we've become. These final months are when the majority of people are going to discover WildStar and then jump on the recruitment rush. We just have to weather the storm so to speak, then post launch it should become far more stable/relaxed.

TL;DR Everyone should get a fair chance, that's not currently happening.
    Kataryna likes this.
  8. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

Agreed entirely. 'Bumps' can also come in the form of back n forth banter or there may be 6 bumps within 10 mins which is much better than 6 bumps over 10 hours. Spreading the butter a little thinner should help to ease the problem though.

Also, I only compared the previously small community to the larger one you have today, as although that has changed, the recruitment thread hasn't. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
  9. Ico

Recruitment should hopefully change after launch/servers confirmed. But all that goes through ZR ofc, splitting them into Guild Recruitment> Region> Server>Faction subforum should save a lot of the bump wars where you've got NA guilds bumping over the top of EU guilds and vice versa.
  10. Azer

Azer Cupcake

The reality of forum recruitment is that 200 applications means maybe 5 actual good members in game.

For SWTOR we used their pre-launch guild system. When you logged in on launch day you were already in the guild. Of the 50 or so we had from the forums we only ever saw 5 or 6 in game. Exactly 1 made it all the way to level cap and was an active member.

That said I hope Wildstar uses a similar system. It was pretty convenient for those of us who were transferring from other games.
  11. Yazra

Yazra Cupcake

sounds cool, i dont remember that thing but i didnt really play more than casually
  12. Rundo

Rundo Cupcake

You do know they removed the gating of the guild member size? Guilds can handle 500 members at the moment they are created.
  13. Xaine

Xaine Cupcake

Remove the Guild recruitment section posts from being seen in the 'Whats New' feature.

Bumping recruitment threads has been a practise for a very long time now, and if there was a better way of doing things - I think it would have been thought of by now.

Its a pain for the mods to moderate it, so you may as well just leave it as a free-for-all and remove posts in there from being seen when you hit the 'Whats New?' button.

Everyone wins.

(Apart from me, because I still have to keep bumping our thread)
    Ceodoc and Kataryna like this.
  14. Ceodoc

Ceodoc Cupcake-About-Town

U licky licky bum lickee.
    A new dawn is upon us, Jo makes a thread and Zap posts in it, U R top Draw Bisqquit, top draw!

Lol'ed hard

ps
    bump for elite raiders!
    ;)
  15. Ico

Pretty much my feelings on it. It's a pain to moderate but we have to try and keep some sort of control so everyone gets somewhat of a fair chance on the front page, that's aided by people not bumping themselves when they're still on the front page, but then you've got legitimate conversations etc etc etc. Extra filtering will definitely help, but there's no silver bullet to the problem of having to list out guilds.

You can add all the filters and advanced registry features to it, but at the end of the day you've got to sort the resulting collection of guilds (normally by alphabetical order), but in doing so you give more exposure to guilds beginning with A or whatever ordering system you go with.

Also merged down Ceo's noobish double post for extreme amounts of nubbery.
  16. Settra

Settra New Cupcake

He has been known to enjoy a good nubbing!
  17. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

I has been thought of. It just hasn't been implemented. Splitting the forum into a minimum of four subforums - NA Exile / NA Dom / EU Exile / EU Dom - would not only mean less guilds in each forum, but less bumps overall as there's not as much pressure to stay on the front page.

Tickets are £20 a head. Standing room only.
  18. Xaine

Xaine Cupcake

Well that isn't a solution, that's creating 4 smaller problems.

There will still be a similar amount of bumps, which will still show up under 'Whats New' section. Guilds want to be in the top 5-6 on the page, so they really are the first one you see. All you need is 15~ active guilds in each region and the problem will continue.

Again, removing the Guild Recruitment forum from the 'Whats New' feature is the most obvious way to solve this.

I do however think that those forums would be nice for general use.
  19. Jakurah

Jakurah New Cupcake

I think everything has been covered, just offering my support for this. I think splitting it up by region and faction will be an improvement for everyone. Also removing guild recruitment from whats new is also a good idea since nothing super interesting goes down in guild recruitment threads enless you are looking for a guild.
  20. Dr. Zoidberg

Dr. Zoidberg New Cupcake

There will be drastic growth of guild recruiting as Carbine makes release schedule details set in stone. I've decided to wait at least until release is set in hopes their will be more people applying that are not just "forum warriors" (as Azer said in another topic) for whom their interest will burn out before launch or will decide the game is not for them soon after launch. It may be blasphemy, but not everyone on the hype train will see it through or get off at the station. I'm sure others have this idea as well or are otherwise waiting for the "right moment". There is no doubt this will become prevalent and the true bump wars will begin.