1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Redirect threads

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by Bainik, May 31, 2013.

1. Bainik

Bainik Cupcake-About-Town

What is up with redirected threads? Every day I see one or two in general and when you click them they just send you to the first post of whatever thread they're actually in. I've even seen actual posts, including some dev posts, get changed into redirect threads (I'm guessing a result of a mod moving the post?).

Couuld we please, for the love of all that is good, stop making those, or at the absolute minimum make them send you to the proper post? Few things are more annoying than seeing a thread title you want to read or think would be an interesting discussion only to end up at the head of a thread you couldn't possibly care less about (or have even been actively avoiding for days because it's totally toxic). You have to dig through the last 4 pages looking for the post that the title you clicked was actually for, and more often than not the conversation you were looking for is drowned out by whatever larger thread you got redirected into.

I get the need for removing redundant threads, but even locking the redundant one and linking to the thread you would otherwise merge it into in the last post would be far preferable.

Sorry for the rant, just had a thread I thought had an interesting title turn out to be a redirect and figured I should say something instead of just fuming about it for another month. All in all great website and community, just my little nitpick.
  2. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

This is an automated redirect for when we merge or move threads. We'd rather have the full conversation that started included in the thread rather than letting someone's contribution sink without a trace.

We'll only do that where there is an existing sticky, or a conversation still active within the last month though - we try not to do it too excessively!
  3. Bainik

Yeah, like I said, understandable, but could the redirect not point to the actual post within the thread it was merged into rather than the op? Kinda like reply notifications do?
  4. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

Unfortunately not - core feature of Xenforo. Would need a feature request in for them to implement.
  5. Bainik

Well that sucks... :( oh well, thanks for the reply.