1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Rethinking the Guild Application

Discussion in 'Guilds, Circles and Warparties General' started by Sasquatauch, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Poet

Poet Cupcake

Definitely agree with the Red...read charter agree with rules etc.

Edit -- i think a few of the above could be covered in the "raider" section of the guild rules/charter.
  2. TehTic

TehTic Cupcake

I guess there needs to be a separation whether the Guild is for lack of better words hard-core or not. In my experience there has been a few issues with people that just represent the Guild poorly and in turn has cost us some valued sponsors.
  3. Poet

Poet Cupcake

I think that is a violation of the charter and they should be shown the door ESPECIALLY if they cost sponsors!
    Sasquatauch likes this.
  4. Sasquatauch

Sasquatauch New Cupcake

Sorry, been a while since I've actually logged on and checked this. There are some great concerns here and definitely most of the issues brought up would come out by playing with recruits - especially in a new game.

When it comes to a "real" guild, if you're making progress raiding, having success in PvP/WvW, members are having a good time and socializing, is that not a real guild? I think there's a misconception that a "real" guild has to be elite. That's simply not the case. If that's your bag baby then by all means do what you feel you need to do. As I mentioned, this format may not be for those types of guilds.

Concerning people taking membership and forming their own guild, I'm actually okay with that because the odds of it happening are extremely high anyhow. Yes, you can plan for that happening, but if you're trying to create an elite guild those types of moves are devastating and the majority of those guilds never recover from it. Just some food for thought for you aspiring GL's out there.

I think some of the disconnect here is that this is also a shift in guild management philosophy. So keep in mind that the membership app is just one part of that. If you can formulate your own plan of action using this application format, kudos! Take it and run with it! If not, well, maybe you'll see it in action. ;)
  5. tr1age

tr1age Cupcake

6. Sasquatauch

Sasquatauch New Cupcake

7. tr1age

tr1age Cupcake

Works for me.
  8. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

Logged in users only (to AltTabMe).
  9. tr1age

tr1age Cupcake

Oh well that makes sense.... was not available to guests. Much clearer explanation that time. I opened it up temporarily so you could take a look now.
  10. CWFWS1

CWFWS1 Cupcake

Any guild I've ever joined worth their salt always did a short voice chat interview. This helps them in many ways. Does your mic work? Are you able to communicate effectively? What's your experience level? What kind of person do you seem to be? Do you have a sense of humor? Can you follow directions?

There are a lot of answers a guild can find in a short amount of time doing a voice interview to seal the deal for guild apps. They're generally short and sweet followed by some comfortable and fun hang out time. I think the first time I encountered voice chat for games was 2004 in WoW, but it has seemed to work well for me since then.
  11. Classix

Classix Cupcake

I seem to keep seeing this trend with other guilds forums and their perspective websites. Guests aren't even allowed to open or see the application until they make an account for the guilds site/forum. If the person has already looked at the guild before hand and decided to join them then that isn't an issue. They will simply make a account there and fill out the application.

Though people that are just guild searching and can't access it they will usually leave rather then make an account. While that may be the guilds intention to weed out the meek from joining, it also prevents people from determining for themselves how professional the guild is. This makes me slightly curious as to why they do it and what their reasons are.

(Not meant to target you just you are an example ;) )

Deppends on the game really. But for pre-game guilds or hardcore guilds I'd have to agree. There's no way to have a trial period since the game is not even released yet and a interview by voice chat is the best way to get to know them. The only issue would be if the said applicant is mute or even deaf. Then that would require typed interviews of course.
  12. Alverad

Alverad Well-Known Cupcake

Depending on the app format you have, you may include fairly detailed, sometimes personal questions, having people join before they can browse the forums is more of a privacy thing, at least in our case.
    At my guild there is a general consensus, that if you can't be bothered to devote few minutes to create an account and introduce yourself, chances are you are not exactly the kind of person we'd enjoy socializing with, let alone raiding/pvping, both of which require time and commitment. If you can spare couple of hours a day to play, you can probably manage a quick user registration. But then, that's just us ;)
  13. Yule

Yule Cupcake

Personally, i prefer long applications where the applicant need to put in both time and thought.

Why? Because if a potential recruit cant put in the 10-15 minutes of effort to make a solid application, he/she wont put in the effort in other aspects either. I also prefer to compliment with a talk on TS/Mumble/whatever, but a written application is a fast way for me to weed out the bads.
  14. Screenager

Screenager Cupcake-About-Town

having run with and run guilds for a few years now I have setted on a fairly extensive interview process.

So many people think that applications are a box ticking exercise but dont understand they are a way to draw out information abuout how a player thinks, feels and reacts and if they lie through their teeth.

We have a more extensive application than the OP expecting info about how a player plays the game, what their goals are and their history. based on that we follow up with more questions to probe the application, check the application for holes and history and then follow up once more with a chat / interview on TS. Since we moved to this 3 stage rec process I have rarely found anyone have to be booted cause they havent fit or made the grade... So for us it works

but yes, we are considered fairly hardcore in our attitude by other people... thats jsut the way we play is all
    Alverad likes this.
  15. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

Such a simplistic setup would only be useful for mass recruitment, for anything else it doesn't tell me anything about the player, and it doesn't tell you anything about my besides basic interest.

Written answers can also pick up contradicting statements what is good to spot before hand.

My last application actually hit the character limit on a single post, if they ask about history :)

It's all about what type of player you're after.
    Alverad likes this.
  16. Fish

Fish New Cupcake

I'm not a Wildstar guild leader (although considering it). But I've lead successful guilds in the past. My preferred method is to make the "written" app short and sweet.

• Character name or Nickname
    • Name of member who referred you
    • Tell us about yourself (Looking for people who actually put a decent amount of info in here)
    I feel like giving them more of a free form app, lets you get to know them better. It also lets you see how they handle tasks on their own, without giving them line-by-line instructions. :p But I do also believe in the VOIP chat to ask questions that are important. Doing this over VOIP ensures that they have a mic and are able to communicate intelligently (important in raiding!).
  17. kur1

kur1 Cupcake-About-Town

Applications vary depending on the kind of guild you are.

For me, coming from a raiding guild, you want to ask the following:

• Personal Information (Name, Age, Time Zone)
    • PC & Internet Specs
    • Character Information (Armory)
    • Combat Logs
    • UI Screenshot
    • Websites/resources used to theorycraft and optimize the character
    • Websites/resources used to research raid encounters
    • Explanation of rotation/role, particularly raid buffs and how they benefit the raid
    • Their interpretation of your guild motto/philosophy (ours is "Results over excuses.")
    • A short blurb about their IRL selves

The most 'useful' portions of the above application are the logs, UI screenshot, and resource sections. Rotations can be copy-pasted, but how one performs (logs), what elements a person has on-screen and if they click/bind (UI), and how they optimize their character (Armory/resources) are the most telling parts of someone's actual skill.

Then you get to know them better via their blurb and response to your guild's philosophy.

Finally, you make sure their rig and Internet actually can handle the content. You'd be surprised how many 'raiders' try to get in on 5-year-old laptops and end up doing terribly as they pull 10FPS or lag out entire fights.

Always do a VOIP interview, always have more questions to ask to determine personality, but the base 'application' should be the above.
  18. Insult

Insult Cupcake

Nuff said I agree.
    Will you name for me any world first guild that does not do extensive research and application / interview possesses on its applicants?
  19. Risetta

Risetta New Cupcake

I don't like over complicated or semi complicated applications asking too many detailed questions. It's too easy to copy/paste/memorize what good app's look like (if the applicant is smart in that sense). I used to be in charge of recruiting healers for my WoW guild and I didn't just look at apps and break down logs, I also got them in vent for a verbal interview and if possible did a few random dungeons or whatever. I've also found that when we tried to recruit very good players they got turned off by a lengthy app. If you can find that happy medium then at least you'll attract people to your guild.

I know for myself I record/fraps my encounters in raids and use those in my applications so you don't just read what I do, you can see it for yourself.
  20. Red_Death01

Red_Death01 Cupcake-About-Town

As a former- long term raid leader, former dps officer, as well as part of several recruitment officer roles I find it actually rather difficult to find that "perfect application."

First off it depends on the guild you're looking at and recruiting for- one that isn't that well known or that high in the brackets people wont want to spend a length time filling out an application. Since my knowledge more stems on the higher brackets I have a favoring towards a "decent" portion size for applications and then I proceed (if they pass the "written" part) to getting them in vent and then a trail dungeon with 2 other officers and a volunteer veteran from the guild. Should everything seem good and he also seems to mesh well with the party and group we would invite him for a weekly trail in the guild at which point it was make or break. Though the last part was simply to see how the guild and him got along.

I'm aware this seems very tedious and very long but, I was part of hardcore raiders and at one point in a guild that was top on the server. I didn't have to cater or beg for new members (and more often than not) we were having to decline passing candidates due to guild size but, they were still offered non-raiding membership. "Friends and Family" or "no trail/no app non-raiders" I am not a fan of because people tend to be thick skulled and think "im in the guild- I dont care that u didnt recruit me for raiding, I still want to raid now". After several times of this happening friendly invites like this were either locked out completely or limited access.

My biggest warning to you when recruiting is to look out for the people that are 'WOW- REALLY?!' on paper but in the vent or field they make excuses 'sry having an off day' or sounds like they have no idea what they're talking about. This is a big sign that they're not who they say they are and even if they really are having that off day- you cant afford to have off days in raids, you end up wasting everyone elses time if you cause problems.