1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Rethinking the Guild Application

Discussion in 'Guilds, Circles and Warparties General' started by Sasquatauch, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Alex Moore

Alex Moore New Cupcake

I still think a good sized application is important. You immediately clear out people who are to lazy to write sentences or the ones who clearly look like they don't even care. Yeah, "it's just a game bro", but if you're trying to get into a community that you want to play with for the next X amount of months, maybe even Y amount of years... I would expect anyone to sit down and spend some time working on it.

You're right, voice chat meetings and such are important processes now. Those go with the application. Now it's actually looking a lot like a job application. Got your application/resume, then that gets you an interview (voice chat). Through in a trial run (if you're recruiting for more competitive play) and you have the ideal application process.

The thing is, writing an application for a guild is a joke compared to competing for jobs. It is so easy to spend 30mins sitting down, typing out a good chunky application on why you're a good fit for the guild. Why lower the already low standard.
  2. Avenged

Avenged Cupcake-About-Town

Questions should remain generic. I actually like that the OP did that actually. The main problem with a new game is that you need to institute a level of trust with whomever is apping in the end. In the end the there are really only a few questions that should really matter.

1. Will you use whatever voice communication system that we require while you play?

2. Will you be active in our forums, if we require it?

3. Are you going to raid or pvp?

4. Does your play times honestly coincide with what we require?

5. Are you worth us investing our time in you?

6. Would you be able to handle not having priority loot for 2-4 weeks while in a trial role?

Obviously you can find ways to word these questions in better ways, but they should be the bulk of what you are looking for. When you are making an application, you need to make sure that it isn't just a formality for getting into the guild, but it is an actual support system for finding out if a person is right for your guild.

I will be the best tank in the game. You will want me to be your tank. Will I be online when you need me? It would be irresponsible to take me just because of how good of a player I am. Use your application as the way to weed classes, time slots, and experience. Then use your interviews to make the judgement calls on whether or not they will fit the culture you are using. The more clear you are in your application and interview process, the less drama you will have long term with people in the long run. Use it as a means to show what your guild is about, and what is required of members.