1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Scientific facts, amazing vids, or pics! Share yours!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Purpleone, Feb 1, 2014.

?

Which of these 3 research groups should be funded the most in your opinion?

1. Medicine

10 vote(s)
    58.8%
  2. Astronomy

7 vote(s)
    41.2%
  3. Chemistry

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Purpleone

Purpleone New Cupcake

[​IMG]

Post in your opinion interesting pictures dedicated to the beauty of the world or science generally!
    Irullan likes this.
  2. Benzecry

Benzecry Cupcake-About-Town

I personally would fund psychology, but that is just where my interests come together. As for a video..
  3. Quietus

Quietus Cupcake

How come you left out physics etc?

Irullan likes this.
  4. deathtotherepublic

deathtotherepublic Cupcake

medicine all the way
  5. Lsya

Lsya Cupcake-About-Town

I say medicine, but with caveats. We need to not only fund research, but we need to change the way we do things.

I've been working in healthcare at a hospital for many years. What I've seen is primarily "treat the symptoms" and get people on monthly health maintenance plans (ie...take drugs every month for the rest of your life). There is a LOT of money being made doing that.

Funding medical research is great, but we need to focus on wanting to cure people and not just feed them pills every month. I know some doctors that agree with me on that, but I also know many that would prefer to just do the symptom treatments and get that residual $$$$. It irritates me.

Yes, some people have conditions that are not curable yet. Let's work on that. But there are many that are taking pills every month unnecessarily. Just look at the commercials on TV..."Ask your doctor about (insert pill here)...you'll be able to breath better while almost dying from the side effects." Legal drug pushers are what they are.

Sorry for the rant. It's a pet peeve of mine that I see every day. Fortunately, my physician shares my views. He doesn't prescribe anything unless absolutely necessary. He doesn't like the trend either. Good man he is.

So yes...let's keep funding medicine. We need it. But let's focus on curing and not just treating.
    Extatica and Benzecry like this.
  6. Irullan

Irullan Cupcake

I may be biased- I raise money for basic research (meaning not applied research) for the College of Science at my university, but I say astronomy hands down.

Plenty of incredible advances to the field of medical physics have been made on the back of research done by astro/theoretical physicists looking to the stars. Many of the physical ailments upon our society (heart disease, diabetes, various environmentally induced cancers) could be remedied by better lifestyles. Some idealistic part of me believes that an inspired life would be a healthy one. Religious participation is now at record lows- people have lost faith and mission in life. What better time to encourage humanity to push ourselves outward? "If we crave some cosmic purpose, let us find ourselves a worthy goal."
  7. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

But can you imagine what happens if they can longefy life by years (meaning normal age would get up to 100-110 without being a vegi).

Can you imagine all those great people in history (that died from illness or age) getting older then they used to be? Heck, what if they could have saved some of them because they can better threat wounds inflicted by others?

Can you imagine what the following people could do if they had just a few (10-20) years longer?
    http://listverse.com/2009/02/24/top-10-most-influential-scientists/
    http://listverse.com/2011/09/08/top-10-most-important-astronomers/
    Can you imagine what would happen if ''important'' people could live longer?

(ofcourse i'm completely ignoring the fact that those old geezers of the Replublikans get older aswell...that's a huge blow to the world, but let's atleast think that the great people in the world can balance that out ;))

Wouldn't that just be a huge benefit to not only Medicine but to the entire world?

Also note he asks which on needs to be funded ''the most'' so even if they do it the others still get funded....just not as much :D
  8. Irullan

Irullan Cupcake

Funding astronomy more than medicine isn't going to make people live shorter lives. (As I said earlier, studies show that leading a life with purpose, or just being active and motivated will make you healthier and live longer- we have modern medicine- we will keep funding modern medicine.)

If your argument is to fund medicine in order to preserve great minds, then we need to start investing more into Ray Kurzweil's research (singularity ftw?).
  9. Inukeu

Inukeu Well-Known Cupcake

fund whatever gets me my perfect immortal robot body and the capability to load data into my mind directly Matrix like learning would be epic ...Mechari ?

srsly though as soon as prosthetic limbs etc go from replacing body parts to upgrading exsisting ones im gunna be first in that queue and given the current cutting edge tech which can mimic somthing like 99% limb movement naturally I think its only 20-30 years away tops before somthing like this becomes a reality, but given the way people obsess about having the latest model of electronic accessory e.g. Iphones... and the way people like to tinker with, customize and have the most powerful computers etc I think when it does happen the market will exsplode for it aslong as its marketed right and becomes socially acceptable ofc.. heh kinda treading on Deux Ex territory now lol
  10. Roadblock

Roadblock Cupcake-About-Town

Irullan likes this.
  11. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

I'd be in line aswell, even if it's socially not acceptable! SCREW THEM! I'm a FREAKING CYBORG! :D

[​IMG]
  12. Irullan

Irullan Cupcake

Dude. That is exactly what I was talking about. Mind uploading a la Kurzweil. http://transcendentman.com/
    Inukeu likes this.
  13. Inukeu

Inukeu Well-Known Cupcake

Watched the documentry on youtube I want all of this and given the nature of mankind to reach out, to stretch for technology almost instinctivly if its possible to do it we will acomplish it I see no reason why the things he says cant be done, maybe not in the timeframe he says but it will happen, regardless of any negative implications I just hope I get to experience it when the time comes :D
    Irullan likes this.
  14. Irullan

Irullan Cupcake

same here man :)
  15. Benzecry

I guess I'm alone in wanting to die before any of that stuff. :cautious:

I personally dislike both the idea of mechanical augmentation and increased longevity.. I could go into why but most of it is out of personal preference. Though I will say I think any estimate people give on the time of its coming is likely false. Every generation thinks they know the future...we had movies in the past talking about flying cars so everyone thought by 2000 we could be in jetpacks and flying cars. Now we have movies about robots and syncing human intelligence into robotics. To me this more so says that we won't have that because humans suck at guessing the future.
  16. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Movies are completely different from what people post above.

Movies are movies and will always be movies (aka sometimes full of fantasy).

But they are looking at a trend, and that trend is the rate in which we develop. It is true that it keeps getting faster and at some point there will be made some ''WauW'' things (robotic limbs/(good working) nanochips for in your body etc. etc.)

However I do agree that they think it'll come a bit too fast (2039??? seriously?)
    I personally would rather shove that date up by ATLEAST 21-51 years, but nonetheless we are getting close to some of those ''future idea's''. Alot of them are already being made/tested/check out, but not everyone may even have heard of them.
  17. Benzecry

I agree to this much, especially the nanochips in the body. I feel like that may be something of a great turning point for much of everything. It is a ways off though, if not from the technology then from enough people dying off who would never support it. Coincidentally, the age of people who were alive at a time without video games is coming to an end. We are gonna see tidal waves of over the top artsy games coming out. Some already exist, most are not that bad, but we will see the artsy BS of other mediums invade us! :eek:
    Extatica likes this.
  18. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

:up:

*not manipulating your post in any way to benefit my own personal ego*
    Benzecry likes this.
  19. filanwizard

filanwizard Cupcake-About-Town

Movies have a sneaking issue of sometimes becoming real. After all Star Trek had the Communicator now we have the cell phone, TNG invented the ipad and foretold big wall TVs.

IBM's Watson is a good stepping stone to a hopefully non-homicidal HAL-9000.

Interesting enough its fiction that helps protect us though. By keeping the fear of the next Skynet in us we will likely never make fully autonomous killing machines or give a computer the access to our nukes(preventing a Skynet or WOPR problem.)
    -------------------

Anyway I picked Astronomy, I feel the more we spend on knowing space the sooner we get to space. Once we have normal access even to our local solar system we can begin the exploit for the benefit of all sciences. low-G and zero-G have huge potentials for gains in medicine and chemistry. chemical bonds form differently when there is no or almost no gravity, As such that alone could lead to new medicines.

I think the most important thing as a species is we need to fund science itself more than we do currently, Today we waste too much on building bigger and better military forces just to start wars to play with the new toys. Just imagine if that money were in the hands of NASA, ESA, CERN, NSF instead.

In medicine we need to get the idea out of it that it is a for profit investment for there to be any real long term benefit to all of us on this rock and whatever future rocks we colonize.
  20. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Please not CERN.....omg my nightmares will come back again!!!!

Steins conspiracy theorie about CERN......:cautious:

And I don't think only Medicine has this problem....space travel will go the same route eventually, just look at how much influence companies get in space travel things......

Humanity it self needs to change in order to make twice the progress, like that's ever gonna happen :p