1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

See You Space Cowboy...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Juno, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Juno

Juno New Cupcake

Watching the cinematic for Wildstar, I was definitely able to see fantasy mixed with sci-fi. But just as definitely throughout the same cinematic, I got that bit of a wild west vibe to things, the intro guitar and lap steel riffs later on really sold it for me there (and as a musician, that tends to be what strikes me first), things in the art like the revolvers seen on the official site in concept art, so forth. It's not really western in the traditional sense of course--for full-blown western with some sci-fi to it, I'll seek out Cowboys and Aliens--but there's definitely all sorts of little subtleties that I find interesting.

It makes me think that some of the best (and beloved) settings out there in the sci-fi verse have a bit of an infusion of this western vibe, though not a full-blown western setting. Cowboy Bebop, for example, has just some bits of imagery that fits the western scene but the setting's in the spirit of the lawless west. Firefly and Serenity were huuuuuuge on this, and to great effect where they managed to bring all sorts of wild west to the 'verse. Borderlands feels pretty similar, with all this high-tech gadgetry left to outlaws and treasure hunters shooting each other up in a less-than-ideal landscape. Likely there's more out there, though these are what struck me first.

There's something fun and accessible about this sort of infusion that I can't quite pinpoint myself, though I have my theories. Being able to enjoy spaceships without all the technobabble (though I won't say no to discussing the physics behind future tech when the mood strikes) and just get down to business is something I always liked in this hybrid genre. There tends to be a lot of smooth talking and dirty dealing that eschews a lot of logic and scientific rigor employed by hard sci-fi, which I tend to think allows people to just jump right in, in all the right ways. Exploration's always a big factor in these settings as boundaries are being pushed further from civilized hubs, so that tends to be pretty exciting. Plus... yeah, it's just plain fun with how easy it is to get into trouble in these settings. And then shoot and slash and abracadabra your way out of it, of course.

I'm glad to see that sort of touch in Wildstar myself, though it appears to have a lot of touches from everywhere to be quite honest. It is quite the genre melting pot, in a very appealing way. But that wild west vibe, where the ships aren't pristine and not everyone talks like an English scholar and acts as logic may dictate as they may in more traditional sci-fi, is one that I really enjoy seeing in action. It may end up not playing a huge role in the overall feel of Wildstar (I'm still catching up on what everyone else already knows about the game myself to get a more developed sense of the game), but I sort of hope it does.
    Autumnal likes this.
  2. Oabe

Oabe Cupcake-About-Town

this popped into my head lol
  3. Juno

Juno New Cupcake

I do like Chris Pine's take on being Kirk, he does sort of feel like a cowboy in that alternate timeline stuff, rather than just being... whatever it was that Shatner was.

That's actually a pretty good character representation of the branching of hard sci-fi to the sort of hybrid sci-fi that's becoming more prevalent, since Kirk Classic was (according to the sort of goofy 'wipe the slate clean' plot) a decent Starfleet officer with a good record--alien princess cuddlefests notwithstanding--whereas New Kirk definitely had a mega reckless vibe due to his upbringing. Where Kirk Classic was shiny and polished, New Kirk was sort of dented and dinged but still plenty scrappy. It's the latter that seems more fun to just connect with, ignoring rules and regulations and just going out for the thrill of it all.
  4. ImmortalExile

ImmortalExile Cupcake-About-Town

I agree 110%.
    Pine's take on Kirk is great- entertaining, and just... well, awesome.

As for your OP- I agree on that as well. When I saw the trailer one of the first things that popped into my head was that riff, and then I was just waiting for the Spellslinger to come out, and low and behold...
    It makes my excitement that much greater. I love spaghetti westerns, and WildStar could deliver that spaghetti feel to the MMO genre.