1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Server Downtime.

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Mellkor, Jul 3, 2013.

?

which downtime do you prefer?

1. 7 Hours Once a week (WoW)

72.9%
  2. 1 Hour Every Day (EvE online)

27.1%
  1. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

What Type of Server Downtime do you like?
    Which is best for Wildstar?
  2. Skippy

Skippy Well-Known Cupcake

To be honest i liked GW2's near non-existent downtime. BUT on the other hand i realize that downtime is important for server maintinence and should really be in place, WoW's downtime was a good medium the ONLY thing that really annoyed me with it? was the fact that 90% of the time it landed smack bang in Aussie primetime.

WTB Aussie (or southeast asian) servers with maintinence times in our downtime!! please and thankyou carbine!
  3. Mellkor

The reason WoW never got a server in Australia is because telstra said No. The datacentres were too costly and emitted to much load.
  4. Skippy

And the fact they were too tight to look at alternative methods, like LoL has managed to do, like SWTOR managed to do, and go to southeast asian servers. Much cheaper than actual Aussie servers and they reduce an Aussies ping by more than half.
  5. Isarii

Isarii Cupcake

There are modern engines that don't actually require much downtime... I would hope they'd be implementing something more along those lines in 2013.
  6. Mellkor

0.o Swtors servers are NA based and the reduction in latency isn't half?
  7. Skippy

You don't know of the oceanic based SWTOR servers? they came in just after i stopped playing, i went back to it just to see the effect they had, and my ping on NA servers was around the 350 mark whereas my ping on the oceanic servers hovered between 100 and 130.

So yeah, they had oceanic based servers. And if a game like SWTOR can manage oceanic servers there is NO excuse for the largest MMO to date, other than they can't be bothered.

EDIT: From a quick browse around it would appear they may have canned their oceanic servers? apparently because of population issues. but the fact still remains they had the servers (and if they retained the subscribers would have kept them)

But League of Legends has recently put oceanic servers in to play as well, oceanic servers based in southeast asia are more than welcome by the Aussie market and MANY people will stick with a game that has this kind of commitment.
    They don't need to be physically in Australia to be classed as oceanic servers or to give the lower pings either.
  8. Nicodemus

Nicodemus Well-Known Cupcake

I think 1 hour every day if they stagger them seems nice. But I'm fine if they need 7 hour chunks of time. They should alternate the downtime if possible.
  9. Zellfel

Zellfel Cupcake-About-Town

Yep, Oceanic Servers were merged into West Coast NA servers. Caused a pretty huge <REDACTED>storm too, since the population was arguing that a single Oceanic Server would have sufficed (and was originally on the table for a solution).

On Topic: Any downtime solution that isn't Rift's.
  10. Dekros

Dekros Cupcake

I don't know how 1 hour downtimes per day even work in mmo's since there will always be large updates that will take way more than 1 hour downtime to implement. I really like GW2's way of doing things but I think they have a system that supports what they do and I would like to see if WildStar has something similar. If not then I don't mind long downtimes once per week but timing, especially for me as I live in Australia and can be pretty bad as it's normally during our peak gaming hours.
  11. Xemma

Xemma New Cupcake

It's 2013, they should be able to pull it off GW/GW2 style (barely any planned downtime ever).

If they fail to deliver that then 1 hour everyday early in the morning could do. Servers being down for more than 3 hours in this day and age would be just stupid.
  12. Roland Daemon

Roland Daemon Cupcake-About-Town

I'm pretty sure they'll be smart and accomodate downtime properly. If I happen to be awake during downtime, oh well.. I probably should be doing other things than waiting for the downtime to end.
  13. mysticjbyrd

mysticjbyrd Cupcake-About-Town

I choose once a week. Constantly taking them down every day might interfere with raiding. Not something eve has to worry about.
  14. Kalmander

Kalmander Well-Known Cupcake

I prefer downtime done in one big chunk... It would probably be better for the people where the 1 hour daily downtime falls in their play time. They would be missing one day, instead of 1 hour each day of play time... At least if it is one big chunk, we'll all get to suffer equally, not just a subset of the player base (usually oceanic people again).
  15. BlueDragon18

BlueDragon18 Cupcake-About-Town

Neither. I prefer what several recent games have done. No downtime at all. Hot patches as per GW2 where you just exit the game, patch, and you're back playing.
  16. mysticjbyrd

mysticjbyrd Cupcake-About-Town

GW2 never goes down because they aren't interested in fixing and improving the game. That's what happens when games launch BuytoPlay. Its a slam bam thank you ma'am, one night stand. That is why I refuse to call such games as GW2 a real MMO.

Any developer serious about that has to take the servers down regularly. I prefer once a week as that means less interference. It is also a good time to reset the raids.
  17. Ulfur

Ulfur Cupcake

I agree GW2 style updates beat out all others that I am familiar with. However of the two options either one works for me same downtime either way.
  18. Xemma

Xemma New Cupcake

They've had multiple updates and patches as did GW1 that used similar system. Game might be casual but their no-downtime system is far better the the typical "let's take the servers down for 3 days for a small patch". If a b2p game can do good system like that then surely a possibly p2p game should be able to deliver the same. Since both Arenanet and Carbine are both NcSoft studios it would be natural to share good systems like that.
  19. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

Threads like this make me wish more gamers were educated in how games work.
  20. CaptainYoul

CaptainYoul Cupcake-About-Town

i remember hating to wait half a day for WoW downtime (think it was opening at 11 PDT, but in east = 2 pm)

So 1 hour per day during the night 3-4 am?
    SammyPo likes this.