1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Settler: possible problem?

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Foxxyness1, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Foxxyness1

Foxxyness1 Cupcake

I have one concern for this class, though I do not know much about it.

My concern is as this game grows, and as more people get maxed out, are settlers going to run out of things to do? I know things will constantly be broken so people will be able to fix them. But if the game gets big enough, and enough people go the path of the settler stuff might not break often enough to keep settlers busy. I also fear that settlers might only be useful for the buffs once cities get bigger, and better, and become less fun as the game goes on.

My hope is that as you get to the more difficult parts of the map that hostile people attack cities causing more work to be done for the settlers. Otherwise things might get a bit boring if most cities have every type of vendor, and building already created.

Any feedback is much appreciated. Maybe I missed something about the path. Hopefully I am just over thinking it a bit too much. :p
    Maddog Charlie likes this.
  2. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

It's definitely something to think about as we still don't know much about the settler. In a previous article they talked about placing a campfire to provide a buff for other players. Maybe settlers will have an array of smaller temporary structures to place depending on the situation along with buildings for towns and outposts.

Another thing I've been thinking about is settlers being able to salvage enemy structures of both enemy players and NPCs. So maybe anyone could destroy a structure but only settlers can salvage them.
  3. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

Yes, could be a concern. Beta test should be able to show if this is possible or not, even without a ton of testers.
  4. Manes

Manes Cupcake-About-Town

Perhaps, endgame Settlers will have to keep settlements of either faction in a hostile zone repaired and upgraded from constant attacks from monsters or the opposing faction. This could work especially well for PVP zones! Where resting points are few and far between. I don't think Settlers will be lacking during endgame, I think they will be one of the more important paths.
  5. Shady

Shady Cupcake-About-Town

Keep in mind that settlers are professional resource gatherers, so they probably can get stuff that other people can't/have a lower possibility to get. Or at least I remember something along those lines being mentioned.
  6. Foxxyness1

Foxxyness1 Cupcake

It seems that perhaps the settler might not be so doomed. As long as hostile creatures, or PvP is around. Also if you are able to take materials from enemy structures that would be interesting. It might make it possible to build, or create new types of buildings / structures. Giving a town more of a variety of stuff makes it much more valuable. :)
  7. Scooter

Scooter Carbine Studios

Absolutely a valid concern, and it's something we're aware of as well. We'll need to keep a close eye on how things progress during beta, and if tweaks need to be made, we'll make 'em.
  8. Guide

Guide Well-Known Cupcake

Building forts and turrets during PvP would be way past cool!
  9. cali

cali Cupcake-About-Town

This would only be cool if it could be balanced in a way that includes all of the different paths into PVP.
    Can't give Settlers all the cool stuff. What would the warriors get for pvp and the explorers. We could also view paths from the perspective that they may only effect leveling and nothing as far as end game goes.
  10. Maddog Charlie

Maddog Charlie Cupcake-About-Town

Hey there Glen , know what you mean we can only guess at the moment but if the settler is the 'catch all' crafting class then hopefully the Devs add a mass of stuff to craft. End game it could be schematics or plans that drop during some missions that essentially mean a warrior class or group are needed to get the plan, then pass onto a crafter to make the item, could even add more to that and have an explorer class neccissary to get xxx component for the crafting process (eg crystal from high mountain etc). Maybe drop in a scientist needed to calibrate or tune the item. End result is items requiring each class to contribute to the finished product.

Then (as said above) there is resource gathering, as an avid crafter in several games I would say thats 50% of my time often. My hope is that the settler becomes a class I dare not log onto cause folks asking me for stuff LOL. Cause youre right its all down to the Devs and how they balance everything, economies and crafting are a tricky thing to figure too far one way and everyone has their own city, too far the other and we all start crying cause 40 hours in game to make a potted plant is no fun :)

But no worries about things to fix, join the Exiles faction, we have a Black Wolf who breaks things with the power of his mind ! plenty to fix LOL :)

Almost forgot too, recycling and resource refining are also two aspects they could consider. Those add huge time sink potential for the crafter who wants 100% quality materials to make the best products.
  11. Shady

Shady Cupcake-About-Town

One thing I was thinking though, is adding skill to settling/crafting.
    By that I mean, that not all settlers/crafters can do everything, it depends on how skillful the real player is (not the points you add in the skilltree). It's only fair since every other class depends on the real player's skill as well.

Like real life tailors for example, all of them can make a suit, but not everyone can make the finest suit in the world, and that's where the player's skill will come in, so for example, if Charlie was a skilled settler, and I was an okay settler, Charlie would be known server-wide, he would have higher rates, he would be hired by guilds or organizations to make their buildings for them, because individuals find it hard to afford him; on the other hand, anyone with a couple of bucks can afford my rates, you have mid-level players hiring me to make what they want for them, nobody on the server knows me (as in I don't have a huge reputation), and anyone with a couple of bucks can hire me.

Now, personally, I'm not sure how this could be implemented, I just think it would be really cool and would affect the flow of the game tremendously, not everyone on the server would have their own alternate settler character, and everyone who plays a settler is constantly trying to improve themselves.
    (Engineers would finally get the job they've always dreamed of doing :p)
  12. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

So, for example, less skilled settlers would have their buildings degrade faster over time? I like this idea, but I am not sure how it would be implemented so you could have different levels of skill unless you had different paths within the settlers path.
  13. Foxxyness1

Foxxyness1 Cupcake

Maybe you could tweak buildings / turrets? Say for example you have a simple turret. One setter might build it a certain way but it degrades faster. Where as a settler that tweaks how it is built a little bit can either increase it's damage, or health depending on what it needs the most. To tweak how it is built they could have a little picture puzzle type of thing perhaps?
  14. Shady

Shady Cupcake-About-Town

My idea is that settlers don't only have buildings with pre-made designs that they can choose from, there would be an editor, where the settler can make new designs and build those designs in the game, so if there is a really big guild, they wouldn't just hire a settler that would give them the pre-made building look for their headquarters, they would hire someone that can make their headquarters really unique, however if I was a player that didn't have a lot of money and wanted a house, I can hire a settler that would build me a pre-made one.
    Of course this idea would take a lot of work from the developers side, but I think it would be really good.
  15. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

I hope that settlers will be able to make pitstops. For example, you want to run a dungeon with your guild at the new awesome dungeon that just got released. Instead of there being a town there already, some settlers will have to build the hub that you can travel to. To keep it there, it has to be maintained so as other guilds start progressing to that area, it will keep maintained.

As for previous areas that no one raids anymore, it's up to Carbine to keep us going back there. Maybe introducing another boss or something. Other than that, I think while we're leveling there will be a ton of settlers.

Thinking about all this now makes me so excited for this game!
  16. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

If you have a settler that can tweak, then you can have all settlers that can tweak at some point. The only way to prevent this is to have different paths for different tweaks and you can't choose all the paths.

That is all well and good, but like above, that doesn't prevent different settlers from all going the same way to create the same types of buildings. Sure, it would be by chance but still possible. Besides, like you said, it would be a ton of work on the developer side. They need to come up with different paths that settlers have to choose so they are not all capable of doing the same thing. Something like one path makes buildings degrade slower, another path makes them stronger but degrade at a faster rate than other paths, stuff like that. Maybe even paths that let a settler build things that other paths cannot do.
  17. Foxxyness1

Foxxyness1 Cupcake

An interesting idea however it will be hard to maintain. For every hub you make near an instance the other faction will be making their own hubs near there as well. With new hubs being placed by both faction it turns from a raid area to a PvP battle for control of that raid content. Unless they make it so PvP is disabled near the raid and dungeon areas.

Or perhaps just like in WoW some dungeons are made only for certain factions. Back before looking for group was around the alliance had the DM dungeon. The horde could use it but they had to travel around into alliance territory to get there. That would be interesting. It would give reason for high levels to visit low level areas. They would want to protect any hubs that are made near enemy instances.
  18. Shady

Shady Cupcake-About-Town

But that's what's going to make the guys making different buildings unique, while a lot of settlers might be building the same buildings, you have those guys that are willing to make a building from scratch.

I, personally, would rather have this related to the mats(types of bricks, paint...etc.) that the settlers use rather than having different settler paths/classes. Give me the power, whether or not I can use it all depends on me.
  19. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

To be honest, that sounds kinda awesome. :p

But it's a good point
  20. Maddog Charlie

Maddog Charlie Cupcake-About-Town

Think what you are aiming at is conquest type towns which are possible, Fallen Earth has similar but Ive found they lack the emotional investment of players as all can be lost, so traders wouldnt want to put a shop there for example. (Eg: The Midwest USA goes to sleep and while they are sleep those Early AM Netherlanders raid and take the town ;)) but I get you it has its place and would give more playability.
    Perhaps the answer to Shady's concept of quality of work and this idea of JarNod's is resources. Resources effect the quality of product and the conquest town could have eg: a goldmine that would only be operational once the town is built/occupied.
    Further Shady's quality could be set to a mechanism that certain traders could build certain grades of resource extraction device, this way, rather than levels in the settler path the devices extracting and the quality of resources would be governed by something else, eg: total products sold with double points for selling to players and regular points for selling to an NPC trader. Actually could make it that different NPC's offerred better points and you have a whole market exploration concept too for crafters. Would result in a more natural progression of making stuff, selling to get points, better resource extraction tools, better resources, more points etc etc. Like a RL crafter experience. Cause we just added a mass more mechanics to the Devs work and a heap of extra columns in the database, so how feasible is another thing, but good thinking guys.
    Foxxyness1 likes this.